Glock vs HighPoint - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock vs HighPoint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2029 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 771

For a tackle box gun I would go with a Hi Point. I have several Hi Point pistols I have bought used. One of them has been in a feed tub for several years. Every so often I shoot all the ammo out of it and spray it down with CLP. It goes bang every time I shoot it. It is an extremely good chance the Hi Point bashers have never actually fired a Hi Point.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #12

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hi-Point has a zinc alloy slide and polymer frame; does zinc alloy rust? For a toolbox gun, you want less rustability.

Also, the Hi-Point is a blowback operated pistol; shouldn't it be simpler to disassemble and clean? I have not tried and do not own one (or a block).
Not sure if this applies to all Hi Points but the one I had the displeasure of field stripping had a pin that needed to be removed with a drift punch just to get the slide off...IIRC...

Hi Point is known for great CS...they kind of have to be good with that though since they have so many service calls...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #13

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If your going to beat someone, something or an animal with it get a high point..
For something you can shoot and expect to work each time buy a Glock..

Herd good things about HP rifles but everyone I've ever met or known with a HP pistol swore it was the biggest POS they ever had and felt like it was a waste of $150.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Not sure if this applies to all Hi Points but the one I had the displeasure of field stripping had a pin that needed to be removed with a drift punch just to get the slide off...IIRC...

Hi Point is known for great CS...they kind of have to be good with that though since they have so many service calls...
Hi Points are difficult to field strip. You need a punch to field strip the pistols. You need an allen wrench, box end wrench and a punch to field strip a carbine. Once you have field stripped a couple Hi Points they are as easy as field stripping a pump shotgun. The first time you field strip a Hi Point it is a challenge. Luckily there are a zillion how to video's on youtube.

I have never had to wait for someone to answer the phone at Hi Point. The CS staff is knowledgeable and patient. They are far better than the CS team at remlin or Kel Tec. When I need a part I get it in less than a week most of the time and it is always on Hi Points dime.

vincent Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I can say this much about both Hi Point and Glock. If you throw one of each pistol in a pile of cordless drills you would have a hard time finding either one of them.

People Like This 
Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #16

Liked 113 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I have shot a Hi Point and also worked on a couple, I wouldn't have one on a bet. If the right grip panel comes loose it won't fire. There is a lever that rides in a molded slot in the grip panel, if there panel does not stay tight the lever misses it's connecting point and the trigger won't work. I'm guessing a broken panel will put it down the same way. There has got to be a Rossi or Taurus floating around used in that price range if it's gonna get beat anyway. Who needs a 9 that kicks like a hot loaded 45 anyway?

Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #17

Liked 2694 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2593

I absolutely positively hate glocks but I'd rather have a glock than a hi point. I've shot both stripped and cleaned both. No contest as far as quality, glock wins hands down.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #18
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7676 Times on 4171 Posts
Likes Given: 16089

I have never fired a Glock so I cannot speak of them.
I do own a Hi-Point JHP (my only pistol) and have never had a single problem from it. I have seen complaints about the 9mm Hi-Points having feeding issues.
I have several rifles and shotguns, just not much of a pistol guy.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #19
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1730 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 9211

I do not own either one myself. I have fired, fieldstripped, and cleaned both. there is a reason I went with a 1911 instead, neither one impressed me much. My suggestion:

Place one of each in front of the tires of a 1 ton truck that is fully loaded. Drive truck over both 2 to 3 times, and then check functional capability of both. If one survives, use it. If both survive, you're SOL. I can't help any more than this..........

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

People Like This 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #20

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Since I have NO good, and very little bad, experience with Hi-Point, I'd go with Glock as I have a few and never had an issue. The limited experience with Hi-Point has been nowhere near enough to convince me to trust it. Maybe others have. I can really only attest to the Glock's (block, brick, 2x4, etc as the haters call them) reliability and durability over the last 12 yrs. I have never had an issue. Ive never been around any that had issues. Maybe others have. Can anyone name any agencies or depts that issue Hi-Points?

Try them both out, and go with what you feel best. Thats really a better option than our opinions.