Glock vs 1911 - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock vs 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2690 Times on 1869 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

semiautos could not be more different. SA vs Safe Action, thumb and grip safety vs trigger safety, single stack vs double (in the original form), steel frame vs polymer, hammer vs striker, traditional rifling vs polygonal. (Got it all?) Take your pick. I hate them both. (No not really

Old 04-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #102

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Things I like about a 1911:

-Ergonomics- in a time before the term was really thrown around, Browning definitely came up with control placement that falls in good locations.
-bore axis- for a auto with a hammer, having the pivot point low in the frame allows the bore to sit close to the hand, which reduces muzzle flip. This makes recoil control and follow up shots to be done with little effort and training.
-trigger- the short required travel of the trigger and short reset contribute to predictability and accuracy.
-tear down- a mixed bag in this one replicated by the time of the design. The entire pistol can be disassembled using nothing but its own parts. This is ingenious in design of its time in firearms history and where auto loading pistols were at during this time.

After market support is great, and a variety of manufacturers makes it possible to customize to exact desires and needs.

Things I don't like about 1911s:

-tear down- again a feature if its time. There are way to many small parts, and field stripping is complicated by modern standards.

- hand fitted parts- this feature that makes them works if art and wonders to shoot, makes them logistical problems for replacement parts, tools, experience and cost. Again a feature of its time, but more modern designs became more modular and assembly line friendly with regard to true drop in parts.

-pickiness for ammo- not as much of a problem for modern 1911s, but original models required work to feed anything but hardball ammo. Extractor tuning, throat polishing, ramping, proper recoil spring weight all influence feeding and can still play a part in troubleshooting feeding issues.

-Grip safety- not really required. Browning didn't include it in the original design, Cavalry units wanted it, so he reluctantly included it.

-weight- it is heavy for its capacity.

Magazine reliability. Magazines are to easily damaged, to varied in reliability and manufacturing quality from so many manufacturers.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #103

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
semiautos could not be more different. SA vs Safe Action, thumb and grip safety vs trigger safety, single stack vs double (in the original form), steel frame vs polymer, hammer vs striker, traditional rifling vs polygonal. (Got it all?) Take your pick. I hate them both. (No not really
There are some guns that I do not like,like Jimenez or lorcin but I own a high point they are not the best guns but I would probably own one of everything if I could.
I have a lot of guns that I never even shoot I am a gun guy always have been and always will be so for me this debate is just that a debate I am not trying to Change minds I am just enjoying reading the arguments on both sides I do enjoy the close minded chioces people make though it always gives me a good laugh.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #104

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Things I like about Glock:

-weight to firepower- a 17 round (or 13 round in .45) loaded gun that comes in at lower weight than a single stack 8 round steel gun.

-low bore axis- the striker design allows the barrel to sit low and close to the hand for recoil control an follow up shots.

-simplicity of operation- no controls to remember to operate under stress. No likelihood of pulling back in a trigger locked by a forgotten manual safety. No likely hood of forgetting to engage the safety before holstering.

-reduced number of parts and standardization of parts. Makes long term maintenance a simpler matter. Easier to learn even detailed maintenance. Cross compatibility between models in the same caliber make finding parts or cannibalizing a gun to keep another running is a field level possibility. Only a punch is required for most any job.

-magazines- consistently made, widely available, durable, reliable, affordable.

Aftermarket support is great for customizing to suit needs or desires.

Things I don't like about Glock:

-grip- actually not bad for me, but until the 4th generation other owners had no option for a better fit. And in my 3rd gen 21 the grip is indeed fat.

Trigger- again a mixed bag to me. It is mushy compared to the crisp and clean break if a well tuned 1911 trigger, but it is very consistent and the reset is not bad when compared to the S&W M&P. Aftermarket triggers can be had for specific needs. The stock trigger is still better than some Double action triggers.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 04-05-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #105
For unto us a child is born..
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1897 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yes the 1911 is a great gun but its a very dated one. . . . Better guns out there.....
No, No. ... It's not true. It can't be true. . . no......
heads-sand.gif  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #106
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
No, No. ... It's not true. It can't be true. . . no......
I like working on 1911's for their simplicity of design. The 92fs comes close to this simplicity and is another fun one to dig into.

The 92 does use a roll pin to hold in the rearward hole in the ejector, while the hammer release lever and firing pin block lever are held in by a reguler pin. Not a fan of roll pin usage. Especially in a location you don't need to use one.

1911's will always be a timeless design especially the superb flawless way the grip safety was designed. Waaaay ahead in thinking and simply genius.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The Glock is the clear winner.
It is a great platform for customization.

Who knew you could make them look like a turd!

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
People Like This 
Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #108
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
The Glock is the clear winner.
It is a great platform for customization.

Who knew you could make them look like a turd!

i remember that ad on GunBroker! and he wanted some insane amount saying it was some rare Glock to boot.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #109
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i remember that ad on GunBroker! and he wanted some insane amount saying it was some rare Glock to boot.
Well..... its rare all right. Truth in advertisng is a good thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I should look into the customizations of Glocks.
It just occurred to me, since they are plastic, they are easy to butcher with a soldering iron, dremel, or even a sharp stick.
This is the perfect platform and results in fantastic pieces of work.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
Axxe55 Likes This