Glock upgrades - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

There is a design difference between the Glock and the 1911 (surprise, surprise). The 1911 slide stop holds the slide a fraction of an inch from fully to the rear. To release the slide with the slide release allows 99% travel and normally chambers properly. The Glock holds the slide about 1/8" from fully to the rear. Simply pressing down the slide stop can and frequently does cause stoppages. By pulling the slide to the rear and letting it go, allows proper function.

There are many "experienced" shooters that "do it wrong" because they started shooting auto loaders with 1911's

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
There is a design difference between the Glock and the 1911 (surprise, surprise). The 1911 slide stop holds the slide a fraction of an inch from fully to the rear. To release the slide with the slide release allows 99% travel and normally chambers properly. The Glock holds the slide about 1/8" from fully to the rear. Simply pressing down the slide stop can and frequently does cause stoppages. By pulling the slide to the rear and letting it go, allows proper function.

There are many "experienced" shooters that "do it wrong" because they started shooting auto loaders with 1911's
So when you say stoppages. Do you mean the slide dose not have enuf momentum to baring it all the way home? Or is there some other problem that can happen?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #43
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

The manual for the Kahr PM series states very specifically that the slide stop/release is the preferred method of returning the gun to battery.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #44

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

All of my training including the police academy advised to never use the slide stop to release the slide. I use the weak hand to reach over the top and firmly grab the slide to pull it completely back and release. The reason is, as mentioned, gives the slide more momentum when closing. Another reason is the slide stop is small and may be missed or take a lot of effort to release the slide. Lastly, it usually requires a change in grip with your strong hand.
So for casual plinkers, hit the lever. For people who carry and practice for self defense, never touch it. I would say all tactical instructors agree with this technique but I don't know them all.

Back to the Glocks, I have always wanted to try a ghost connector but I carry all of my Glocks. I have avoided it because many say it makes the trigger too light.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #45

Liked 710 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Glad my 19 isn't like that, it chambers with minimal force. I can actually "ride" the slide forward and it still chambers.

Makes me feel good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #46

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
All of my training including the police academy advised to never use the slide stop to release the slide. I use the weak hand to reach over the top and firmly grab the slide to pull it completely back and release. The reason is, as mentioned, gives the slide more momentum when closing. Another reason is the slide stop is small and may be missed or take a lot of effort to release the slide. Lastly, it usually requires a change in grip with your strong hand.
So for casual plinkers, hit the lever. For people who carry and practice for self defense, never touch it. I would say all tactical instructors agree with this technique but I don't know them all.

Back to the Glocks, I have always wanted to try a ghost connector but I carry all of my Glocks. I have avoided it because many say it makes the trigger too light.
It's always better to do it that way and not use the slide stop. And I am aware that the reason for this is bc you loose motet skills when the S*** gets real. I never use my slide stop anyway to chamber a round bc of this reason. From what has bin said I was under the impression that it would mess up the gun.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #47

Liked 640 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I was told in training that using the sling shot method is also better to put in your muscle memory bc it's the same action you would take to clear a malfunction. Tap, rack, squeeze.
I carry my G19 Gen 3 with a 3.5 lb trigger. It's not too light, it makes it much more like a 1911 trigger IMO. A lot shorter reset as well. Same as a 4 lb 1911 trigger: keep your booger hook off the bang button until you're ready to shoot.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #48

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Thanks for your opinion on the 3.5 trigger. I might get one and put it on my G17 that I don't carry that often and see how it does. I guess if it sucks, I can take it back out

Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #49

Liked 2304 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 508

Sling shot method also transfers to other autoloaders. you can use it on Glock, Sig, Beretta, Colt,....... and it will work on any of them. No figuring out the placement of the slide release on a different gun.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

On my xds I have to use the slide stop to chamber a round. I don't care for that. I believe it's the only gun I own that is like that.