Glock upgrades - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #31
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 812 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 4306

For a 9mm, you shouldn't need to change the guide rod. If the recoil is too much for you that you feel you need to, don't buy the gun.

The only changes that should ever need to be made to any gun are with the sights - like putting night sights on, and cosmetic changes.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
For a 9mm, you shouldn't need to change the guide rod. If the recoil is too much for you that you feel you need to, don't buy the gun.

The only changes that should ever need to be made to any gun are with the sights - like putting night sights on, and cosmetic changes.
I wanted to change the guide rod, only because the plastic one seams cheap, and I wanted to to feel sturdier.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #33

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises

I wanted to change the guide rod, only because the plastic one seams cheap, and I wanted to to feel sturdier.
Well talk about being a hypocrite I gust bought a g23 gen4 Friday. I am going to change the guide rod because I plan to git the .357 conversion. The first thing I noticed was the flush slide release. It has to be changed out.
image-1968836710.jpg  

Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #34
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 812 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 4306

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
If you are going to be shooting hot (or heavy) loads, then yeah, you want a better guide rod than the factory one. If you are going to be shooting regular ammo from it, it'll be sturdy enough as that's what is was made for.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2954 Times on 1539 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Well talk about being a hypocrite I gust bought a g23 gen4 Friday. I am going to change the guide rod because I plan to git the .357 conversion. The first thing I noticed was the flush slide release. It has to be changed out.
#1. It is not a slide release. It is a slide stop. You should NEVER use the Glock slide stop to release the slide. The slide loses over 1/8" of travel when arrested by the stop. Use the sling shot method of racking a round in the chamber.

Look at Sprinco for a guide rod/spring set up. Tell Alan "Hutch" sent you.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #36

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

#1. It is not a slide release. It is a slide stop. You should NEVER use the Glock slide stop to release the slide. The slide loses over 1/8" of travel when arrested by the stop. Use the sling shot method of racking a round in the chamber.

Finally the voice of reason. This is a true statement for all semis. Slide stops should not be used as a release mechanism.

And I'll go on record saying I like the looks of my Glock. It's a functional tool. I don't pretty up my hammer, I drive nails with it.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #37

Quote:

It's not a slide release??? Learn something new everyday. I just wonder why you can release the slide with it then. I mean you would think that if releasing the slide with the slide stop screws it up they would take that function out. I mean apparently Springfield gets it. You can't release the slide on a XD like that. Man glocks do suck. Lol

Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #38

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:

You might have to do a national tour. Every place I've been to uses the slight stop to release the slide when showing guns. I will admit I'm very guilty of this process!!

Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #39

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I had a Glock 17 Gen 3 a while back (sold it for something different). In that time, I added TruGlo TFO sights (the best day/night option in my opinion), a Ghost Ultimate Trigger kit (came with several springs for a full replacement), Tungsten Guide Rod, and an extended magazine release and slide stop. The beauty of the Glock is that you can quite literally take the gun completely apart using just a simple punch. I was able to break my gun down enough to change out all of the parts myself using one single tool.

I can't say that for my CZ75 SP-01. But I can say that the CZ is extremely comfortable to hold. I bought the Glock 12/26/11 and sold it in June or so. In that time, I put roughly 2000 rounds through it and while it never failed, was always accurate and always functioned at 100%, it never felt quite right in my hand. I didn't want to have somebody cutting on my Glock, making irreversible changes to the polymer because once you do that, you essentially have a custom firearm that will drastically reduce your resale options should you ever decide to get rid of it. I went into a gun shop one day and held a CZ and that night I listed my G17 for sale. Took a bit of a loss on it to move to the CZ, but it was worth every penny.

The above-mentioned upgrades are what I did to my Glock. They made it significantly better. But in the end, the weird grip is what made me sell my Glock.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00

You might have to do a national tour. Every place I've been to uses the slight stop to release the slide when showing guns. I will admit I'm very guilty of this process!!
This is true. Then you see someone like hickok45 do it. I have even seen LEO instructors do it.