Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock trigger safety?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock trigger safety?

Hello, All Glockophiles-

I re-joined the Glocker ranks recently (had a 21 before/now 23) and still don't like the lack of a manually operated safety. Yes, before you 'experts' go into 'attack' mode, I know about the safeties Mr. Glock designed in, etc. Now-to my point, please....there is a safety (seems to be the only one not involving cutting the frame) that only requires replacing the inner 'hook' in the trigger with one that features a Marlin-type push-pull locking mechanism. Does anyone have one of these installed on his/her weapon, and if so, how do you like it? I feel strongly that this is the way for me to go, but would like a bit of previous user 'T&E' imput, if I can find any.

Thanks!-

Last edited by themanbeau; 09-16-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling error correction

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #2

Liked 222 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry to say I've never seen the safety you refer to.

I think you will find that keeping your Glock in a good holster ( one that covers the trigger ) is plenty safe. That way, there is no safety to forget in an emergency.
You can leave it in its holster almost all the time. If you need the gun for home defense at night, simply pull the holster off to put it in " fire" mode.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Personally....I would get as far away from Glock as I can. They are about as safe as a zip gun.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #4

OK-I couldn't remember the name of the product, before...now, I have it:

SIDERLOCK | The Additional Safety for Glock pistols

Thanks for responses-

Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #5

We were always trained not to use the external safety with the Beretta M9. Even though the M9 had an external safety, we were not to place the weapon on safe prior to holstering. In my opinion, external safeties impede the emergency use of the weapon. If someone likes a manual safety—and trains with it—this is fine... not my cup of tea however I love the Glock safe action and wouldn't have it any other way. Many of my law enforcement colleagues agree....

Last edited by AFPVet; 09-17-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The only Glock thumb safeties I have seen are the ones that cut the slot in the frame. If i run across the one you are referring to I will pm you with the info.

27 Words keep us "free"

Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #7

Thanks, Glockanista-

You know, I've been giving that a lot of thought, and I think I see a solution
in a very similar design:

Especially if someone (how about you smart gunsmiths here?) could figure out
a way to reverse the safety lever, so that it engaged/disengaged like a 1911.
And (personally) I would much prefer a hole in my slide, than a huge cut in my
frame, which makes it look like my teenager took it out to the back workshed to
"repair" it..... What say you?

Waiting on you, armorers!-

P.S.-Is that a pic of you and your faithful hound, in the van?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Personally....I would get as far away from Glock as I can. They are about as safe as a zip gun.
Glock pistols are just as safe as you are.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Glock pistols are just as safe as you are.
Hi, Again-

Yes, I agree with Ram Rod; I'm not questioning the overall safety of the
Glock design (it was genius, in the mid-80s!) or I certainly wouldn't have
bought another one. Equating one to a 'zip gun' is pretty far out in left
field.

I will say this, though-I just wonder if one day the "Glock Perfection" logo/idea might
come back to bite the boys in Smyrna, because it implies that if they change anything
(like adding a manual safety option) that they are 'admitting' the original design had a
'flaw' (not literally, hence the ' ') in it. I am really beginning to suspect that Glock's
corporate attorneys are the true reason they are stubbornly refusing to offer anything
like this to their customers, and I have spoken to them about this, personally. Not about
their attorneys, but asking them to please give me this option. They were pretty darn
arrogant about it last time (in an email) and said essentially, "shut up about this, we are
NOT going to put a manual safety on our guns." This is not even true, because
they already DID, when they submitted a .45 for the military trials, a few years ago. I think
that showed a little bit of flexibility on Glock's part, when there was (potentially) some
big bucks to be made, and to get their weapons in the hands of the mass-military in the U.S.
So-for that reason, I will withhold final judgement, and hope the market FORCES them to re-
consider.

I'm sure the folks at Springfield and (especially) S&W (since they offer it on all M&P auto
models, now) grin about this all the way to the bank, since more-and-more police agencies
and individuals want this on their automatics.

I also would like to see Glock (not holding my breath here, either ) offer different color frames,
and a stainless (silver) slide option, because these guns (work well) but are pug-ugly!

My 2 pennies-

Last edited by themanbeau; 09-19-2009 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added information.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Nobody ever seems to question the safety of a good, double action revolver. Yet they have no "external safety". Hmm.

I've yet to discover a pistol with better inherent safeties than a Glock. If the operator keeps their finger off the trigger, it is 100% safe. And anyone who feels it is OK to keep their finger on the trigger of ANY firearm just because it has a manual safety, is a dangerous liability. If you rely on any manual safety over safe gun handling, YOU are the ticking time bomb.

When you truly understand the engineering behind how the safeties on the Glock work, you will not have any fears of "accidental" discharge. "Negligent" discharges happen with every firearm, but they are due to the idiot behind the trigger. The Glock can NOT go off unless the trigger is all the way to the rear.

And when the thumb safety on the 1911 is improperly fitted, or worn, it can allow the hammer to fall if the trigger is squeezed, even when the thumb safety is fully engaged. This is an attention getter on the range.