Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock sights and sighting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-sights-sighting-47063/)

DodgerBlue 08-19-2011 03:45 AM

Glock sights and sighting

I'm big on not using sights. Point at and shoot what both your open eyes are looking at and thats where the round should go. That being center of mass. I am thinking of removing my rear sight and running without it at all.

Anyone running Glocks think the same way? I can see the how sights would be handy in a stand off where a person could aim and what not. But most of us carrying CCW will be in a combat situation. Draw, shoot, live or die in just a few seconds. I think in that situation the mind and eye trying to focus on a sight would be to time consuming.

Glore 08-19-2011 04:21 AM

Kinda reminds me of some new self defense fad, "buy our Jeet Kwon Do Ju DVD" the newest in self defense, chop down up to five bad guys using your index finger. Whatever works for ya though :)

willfully armed 08-19-2011 04:37 AM

That would make target shooting redundant. Too bad you can't fan the hammer on a glock.......

GlockStar 09-05-2011 08:10 PM

Hey DodgerBlue,

If I knew how to remove the rear sights on my G22, I certainly would. My reasoning is one of the many mantras my father has burned into my brain. "Front-sight focus, fire away." It's how I was taught to handle a cqb.

Additionally, I can vaguely remember seeing something about a L.E. agency removing the sights from their firearms totally. I can't with any certainty say this, but I believe the thought-process was that officers spent too much time lining up the sights, which comes with a ton of inherent problems in a gun battle, with tunnel vision being the most obvious.

DodgerBlue 09-05-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockStar (Post 575227)
Hey DodgerBlue,

If I knew how to remove the rear sights on my G22, I certainly would. My reasoning is one of the many mantras my father has burned into my brain. "Front-sight focus, fire away." It's how I was taught to handle a cqb.

Additionally, I can vaguely remember seeing something about a L.E. agency removing the sights from their firearms totally. I can't with any certainty say this, but I believe the thought-process was that officers spent too much time lining up the sights, which comes with a ton of inherent problems in a gun battle, with tunnel vision being the most obvious.

That's my point the whole time. Good see there are professionals that see it the same way I do. Thanks GlockStar

MrWray 09-06-2011 12:00 AM

All of the years tht i was a LEO i was in at least a couple hundred weapons drawn situations and not once can i even remembering looking at my sights.. Whenever ur training kicks in u dont really know everything tht u do until the situation is over and u have time to wind down

DodgerBlue 09-06-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 575318)
All of the years tht i was a LEO i was in at least a couple hundred weapons drawn situations and not once can i even remembering looking at my sights.. Whenever ur training kicks in u dont really know everything tht u do until the situation is over and u have time to wind down

Very true! that brings up a good situation note. if ever you need to use deadly force protecting you or someone eles. You have to lawyer up. Even if the responding police offers seem nice and understanding. What you say will be used against you. You don't know what happened. You need time like Wray said to unwind and think about it. Then the truth will be much easier to get across.
Or would you disagree Wray being a LEO?

GlockStar 09-06-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgerBlue (Post 575263)
That's my point the whole time. Good see there are professionals that see it the same way I do. Thanks GlockStar

I hardly qualify as a professional, but my father certainly does lol.

In fact MrWray's post about adrenaline brings up stories my grandfather told me. A cop who was involved in a shooting, swore up and down he never fired his service revolver(I should mention there were several other officers who fired upon the suspect and this was back in the day, hence the revolvers :p) when infact he not only fired, he reloded and fired some more.

Long story short, adrenaline can play havoc on any situation and is one of the toughest things to replicate.

And Dodger, "Lawyer up" is the BEST thing you can do once they Mirandize you, IMHO.

MrWray 09-06-2011 04:51 AM

Whenever the SHTF and ur adrenalin kicks in ur body and mind will automatically revert to how u r trained. U will shoot how u r trained to shoot, u will reload how u r trained to reload, if u have a malfunction u will clear it how u were trained.. Thts y im a firm believer tht u pay attention to every school and field training tht u get.. Lousey and lazy performance will get u killed and u wont even know tht its coming