Glock Shooting Left Problem/Confusion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Shooting Left Problem/Confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Glock Shooting Left Problem/Confusion

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1399506219.498897.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1399506230.197590.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1399506239.721289.jpg

Someone help! I love the gun but not how I shoot it....right handed at least!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 679 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 419

looks like your l/handed is your dominate and its hard to change that. good shooting

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2690 Times on 1869 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

It causes stress and electrical failures to run from who you are. Life in a closet, keeping your guard 24 hours a day... Come clean. You ARE a left handed shooter! See! Wasn't that easy! We are still going to love you!

I think when you shoot right handed, you might be twisting the gun slightly as you pull the trigger. It does not happen with your left hand, because your grip is slightly different, perhaps not as tense, or in some other way.

Try to relax your dominant wrist slightly, and be sure you pull with your trigger finger only, without squeezing the grip harder. Our fingers naturally tend to flex in unison, an instinsctive grabbing motion.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm right handed! Write, throw, bat, shoot, etc! I really don't want to change 27 years into it to shoot one particular handgun! I'll try the grip strength suggestion next time out. I shot nearly 250 rounds of frustration this evening!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2690 Times on 1869 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch2377 View Post
I'm right handed! Write, throw, bat, shoot, etc! I really don't want to change 27 years into it to shoot one particular handgun! I'll try the grip strength suggestion next time out. I shot nearly 250 rounds of frustration this evening!

The first part was a pun, thus the You are right handed, all you have to do is eliminate the unnecessary motion, "calm down" your stronger hand.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 AM   #6

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

GLOCKS do that... It's "inherent" you'll get used to it.

Tack

Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2160 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 804

You have to use a proper grip with a Glock. You should be holding 70% of the weight of the gun with your off hand and 30% of the weight of the gun with your strong hand. A proper grip is even more important with a Glock due to their low center of gravity and heavy slide.

Another issue people have with Glocks is the sights. The rear sight has a narrow slot so you can't have an even amount of daylight on each side of the front sight.

Maybe a chat with a qualified shooting instructor will help you determine if you need to modify your grip or get a set of sights that suit your shooting style.

I don't like sights that I have to cover the target. I replaced the front sight on my Glock with a smaller sight. You can find front night sights on eBay for $35 plus $11 for a Glock front sight driver.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 AM   #8

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

If GLOCK = Perfection... They why do they require a "special" grip and "extra" instruction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You have to use a proper grip with a Glock. You should be holding 70% of the weight of the gun with your off hand and 30% of the weight of the gun with your strong hand. A proper grip is even more important with a Glock due to their low center of gravity and heavy slide.

Another issue people have with Glocks is the sights. The rear sight has a narrow slot so you can't have an even amount of daylight on each side of the front sight.

Maybe a chat with a qualified shooting instructor will help you determine if you need to modify your grip or get a set of sights that suit your shooting style.

I don't like sights that I have to cover the target. I replaced the front sight on my Glock with a smaller sight. You can find front night sights on eBay for $35 plus $11 for a Glock front sight driver.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:09 AM   #9

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
GLOCKS do that... It's "inherent" you'll get used to it.

Tack
Yep... Glocks tend to "Roll" in the hand. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the grip angle.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Left-leaning G's

I've been frustrated with some of my G's for shooting left and I have tried lots of things to try to correct it. What I've found that works 100% of the time is to get rid of it and get another one. If you find one that shoots to the sights, keep it. I've done this now for years and it works great. I had a Gen 2 G22 & a Gen 3 G27 that shot like champs - exactly to the sights. I made the mistake of letting them go with I got rid of all my .40's. I got a G17 & a G26 to replace them and they both shot left. The G17 was within sight drifting correction but the G26, even after being sent back to Glock was beyond adjustment, so it went down the road. My G36 shot to the sights - when it would shoot at all so I traded it for my G30. The G30 shoots exactly to the sights...no adjustment needed. The list goes on...so my own personal rule is to keep them from now on if they shoot to the sights, shed them if they are beyond acceptable windage adjustment.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

People Like This