Glock Shooting Advice, please
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Shooting Advice, please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts

Default Glock Shooting Advice, please

Purchased my first Glock this week and got to shoot it today. I cleaned it prior to shooting and it ran without any hiccups. However, my accuracy with it was not great. It wasn't until after 150 rounds that I was able to put 3 shot groups under an inch at 7 yards, but that was super slow firing.

Whenever I shot rapidly or as soon as the target was reacquired, everything went pretty much low and to the right. I dry-fired a bunch right there at the range but the results were the same. Accurate as slow fire, trending towards terrible at faster rate of fire. My point of reference is shooting my FNS-9, with which I am a 1.5-2 inch group shooter at 7 yards.

I know it takes practice with a new gun, but this outing was rather disappointing. Any advice on flattening out the 'ole learning curve?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #2

Liked 539 Times on 290 Posts

Assuming your a righty
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1409958508.223632.jpg

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #3

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Here is what you do, CLEAR YOUR GUN, take a sight picture at something, squeeze your trigger focusing on your front sight post and watch it wiggle between the rear sight post, it should wiggle to the left and down for most right hand people, work on your grip and TRIGGER pull till you can dry fire it without the front sight post wiggle. With most people and glocks your sight will be stable u till the trigger breaks and you yank the front of the gun out of alignment.

just get comfortable and keep working on your trigger, what helps me is if I keep my entire finger off the frame and only contact the trigger, if the rest of my trigger finger touches the frame I will pull the shot most of the time. If you are having problems keeping the gun stable when the trigger breaks you may want to consider the .25 cent trigger job or a lighter connector to lower the trigger pull weight. Glocks take some getting use to for most people and if you bought a Gen 4 glock their triggers are especially clicky when the break.

Last edited by deathkricket; 09-05-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #4

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

What model Glock?

Last edited by AR10; 09-05-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #5

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
Here is what you do, CLEAR YOUR GUN, take a sight picture at something, squeeze your trigger focusing on your front sight post and watch it wiggle between the rear sight post, it should wiggle to the left and down for most right hand people, work on your grip and TRIGGER pull till you can dry fire it without the front sight post wiggle. With most people and glocks your sight will be stable u till the trigger breaks and you yank the front of the gun out of alignment.

just get comfortable and keep working on your trigger, what helps me is if I keep my entire finger off the frame and only contact the trigger, if the rest of my trigger finger touches the frame I will pull the shot most of the time. If you are having problems keeping the gun stable when the trigger breaks you may want to consider the .25 cent trigger job or a lighter connector to lower the trigger pull weight. Glocks take some getting use to for most people and if you bought a Gen 4 glock their triggers are especially clicky when the break.

I would respectfully suggest if someone has trouble ridding a motorcycle, a high performance motorcycle is not going to make the problems go away.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #6

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I would respectfully suggest if someone has trouble ridding a motorcycle, a high performance motorcycle is not going to make the problems go away.
Would you suggest a 90lb girl with a 10 lb trigger body build until she is strong enough to shoot it or get a fire arm with a lighter trigger she can handle?

Hence the first part of my paragraph was practice....

Old 09-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #7

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts

Thanks for the advice. This pistol certainly takes getting used to. After some dry firing, I figured out that the blade in the trigger (aka the trigger safety) seems to impact my trigger pull. Now, the question is do I figure out how to shoot the Glock, or just keep using what I know how to.

As I am starting in competition, the Glock system is very appealing to me, so I think I will pay my dues...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 09-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4126 Times on 2804 Posts
Likes Given: 2053

Slow down. Don't rush to hit the target again after an accurate shot.

Grip high and tight.

Watch your trigger finger "not" to be caught in the death grip motion. Separate it mentally from the rest of your hand. It should move the trigger but not the frame.
People Like This 
Old 09-06-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 480 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 1153

If squeezing the trigger pulls your aim off target, the trigger is to stiff IMHO. I installed the Ghost trigger kit in all three of my Glocks with no problems. There is also a Glock factory trigger connector that I'm told will also give a lighter pull. You may hear from some self appointed pooh bah that every problem ever experienced with a Glock is due to the Ghost trigger. There are too many Ghost products functioning perfectly for that to be true. It is more likely that working on the trigger is above their pay grade.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:34 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 594 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Good advice here

I have the Glock 19 Gen 4 (about 5 months now ) and here is what I have found

1) If you are shooting right (and low), lets start with the right - TOO MUCH trigger finger - meaning your too close to crease on your finger, ease away from that.

2) Now if you get that fixed but shooting low, figure our sight picture. At 7 yards , the red target should SIT on the front blade (6 oclock sight picture) so surprised you are low - make sure you are holding the gun HIGH and tight

See how this works out

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" Mark Twain