Glock Safety - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00

Yes i did. You are afraid of a gun without a manual safety because you are not confident in your ability to consistently follow rule number one of firearms safety. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. My previous response still stands
A good friend of mine that grew up around guns and was shooting at least every other week was killed when he went to pick his Glock up off a table. He dropped the gun and tried to catch it. A safety is supposed to keep a trigger from being pulled by accident. I grew up around guns but I don't even like being around a Glock. They shoot great are rugged and they are cheap but I don't want another one.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #72

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post

A good friend of mine that grew up around guns and was shooting at least every other week was killed when he went to pick his Glock up off a table. He dropped the gun and tried to catch it. A safety is supposed to keep a trigger from being pulled by accident. I grew up around guns but I don't even like being around a Glock. They shoot great are rugged and they are cheap but I don't want another one.
Sorry about your loss but if he had let it fall, he would still be here. The gun cant be blamed for that. Its no different than trying to catch a falling knife.

Last edited by ryguy00; 02-17-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #73

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I see nothing funny in someone getting hurt, unless it is a laurel and hardy rerun.

If one guy getting hurt pleases you, I bet you loved the holocaust.

Any uncontrolled giggles at the Tsunami that hit Japan?

In the video, I think I hear a round clambering. Does not sound like an empty slide to me. Hard to tell on the video, but an unfortunate (not funny) event in a gun safety lecture.
I disagree... There is something purely hysterical in an complete ASS HAT... DEA... I'm da owny 1 pwofesionow enuf to handow diss weapon... BAM!

Guess one needs to have lived through the fubar reality of "EO" in the Military to appreciate the humor.

Tack

Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sometimes my reaction is to laugh when someone hurts themselves, although I shouldn't.

I would imagine trying to catch a falling gun is just instinct. Plus accidents do happen and those stories are the ones your going to hear about or see on youtube.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #75

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
Sorry about your loss but if he had let it fall, he would still be here. The gun cant be blamed for that. Its no different than trying to catch a falling knife.
The gun and its mechanism can be blamed for that! The guy was just reacting. You can't plan to not react in a sudden unexpected accidental situation. That is unreasonable thinking. People react - all the time - everyday - everyone does.

Example: I am a boxer. I have very fast reflexes. If something falls in my life - whether it is a glass in the kitchen, a tube of toothpaste in the bathroom, my razor at the gym, ... since I began boxing, I notice that my hands instantly grab it before it falls even 6 inches. It's a reflex. My hands would have gone for that falling object, too. It's a reflex.
His friend did the same - so would you.
If you are driving a car - and something suddenly, unexpectedly happens - you react. You cannot teach yourself not to react. People react. --- And most importantly, in this thread discussion, accidents happen - to EVERYONE. There are no super-humans with super powers and super infallible control - no matter who you think you are - you are a human being and have human failings - and make mistakes all the time - everyday, in fact.

The gun had a major flaw - if you touched the trigger, it fires. There isn't anything you can do about that. That is the way that gun works
You take your chances with that type gun. And it is your life to decide to take chances with - that is all fine. But YOU are taking the chances - and if you chose to pretend that you are infallible or can be trained in a super-human fashion - like a machine that will never EVER break or malfunction - that is fine - it is your life and your risk. But be realistic - about the gun and a being a human being and infallibility. There is no infallibility. People make mistakes everyday of their lives - everyone. I'm guessing - even you.

This poster's approach is entirely reasonable. Don't be around a Glock.
I might even expand on it a little. Especially don't be around anyone that has a Glock that has an attitude where he or she feels that he or she is infallible and perfect and never ever can make a mistake. That attitude can get someone killed.

But I subscribe to the poster's original approach. Don't be around a Glock.
But that's just me. You may be perfect.

Last edited by Colby; 02-18-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: sp

Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #76

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

The gun and its mechanism can be blamed for that! The guy was just reacting. You can't plan to not react in a sudden unexpected accidental situation. That is unreasonable thinking. People react - all the time - everyday - everyone does.

Example: I am a boxer. I have very fast reflexes. If something falls in my life - whether it is a glass in the kitchen, a tube of toothpaste in the bathroom, my razor at the gym, ... since I began boxing, I notice that my hands instantly grab it before it falls even 6 inches. It's a reflex. My hands would have gone for that falling object, too. It's a reflex.
His friend did the same - so would you.
If you are driving a car - and something suddenly, unexpectedly happens - you react. You cannot teach yourself not to react. People react. --- And most importantly, in this thread discussion, accidents happen - to EVERYONE. There are no super-humans with super powers and super infallible control - no matter who you think you are - you are a human being and have human failings - and make mistakes all the time - everyday, in fact.

The gun had a major flaw - if you touched the trigger, it fires. There isn't anything you can do about that. That is the way that gun works
You take your chances with that type gun. And it is your life to decide to take chances with - that is all fine. But YOU are taking the chances - and if you chose to pretend that you are infallible or can be trained in a super-human fashion - like a machine that will never EVER break or malfunction - that is fine - it is your life and your risk. But be realistic - about the gun and a being a human being and infallibility. There is no infallibility. People make mistakes everyday of their lives - everyone. I'm guessing - even you.

This poster's approach is entirely reasonable. Don't be around a Glock.
I might even expand on it a little. Especially don't be around anyone that has a Glock that has an attitude where he or she feels that he or she is infallible and perfect and never ever can make a mistake. That attitude can get someone killed.

But I subscribe to the poster's original approach. Don't be around a Glock.
But that's just me. You may be perfect.
Yes, no one is perfect and people do make mistakes in their life. The only problem I see in your little rant is that you are blaming the gun for doing what it was supposed to do if you pull the trigger.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #77

Liked 500 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 231

None of the DA autos I carry have a manual safety. I've carried my Sig228 for 26 years, as well as my G27 for four years with complete confidence. Even my small NAA .32 has no safety. Your finger touches the trigger if your gonna fire the weapon. The Glock gets a bad rap many more times than it deserves. LE has tested the Glock over and over again where safety and dependability is concerned and it's passed with flying colors. The NYPD, which averages 35,000 members, uses as one of it's service weapons the G19 and for off duty authorize the G26.

What can make the Glock dangerous is amateur gunsmiths who listen to those who know nothing and change their factory springs, which have a 5.5 lb. pull to a lighter pull. The PD replaces all factory springs with the NY trigger spring that increases the pull to 11 lbs. Not exactly a target trigger, but this is intended as a combat weapon and not a target pistol and safety is their priority. What concerns them most are accidental discharges where a civilian is injured and a lawsuit is filed. The Glock does it's job beautifully. If the trigger on the Glock that discharged killing someone wasn't tampered with then I'd be very surprised.

The next danger that should be avoided is cheap holsters, especially holsters used a lot on ranges where the gun is almost totally exposed. Those cheaply made where the crappy leather softens and loses it's shape on the rim can hang up the weapon while being holstered, causing the trigger to get hooked and be pulled far enough to the rear to be fired. Someone on another forum reported how he shot himself in the groin, while attempting to holster his weapon being seated in his vehicle. He even posted a graphic photo and said to get a good holster and never use the style I described.

A SA auto like the 1911, or Browning HP is great and does have a manual safety feature, but if carried for SD should be carried cocked and locked. Those weapons require it's user to be very well trained and know the weapon. An amateur should keep their hands off of them.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 02-18-2013 at 08:05 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 502

To answer the OP, this is what you can do to "get over" your "trust" issues with your sidearm of choice.

1. Sell the Glock and buy a gun with a manual external safety lever.

2. Learn to practice self-discipline with respect to where your trigger finger is and anything else that might come into contact with the trigger.

If you keep the Glock, do yourself a favor and buy a plastic/kydex/fancyschmancyplastex holster and ditch your leather holster. Leather bends, softens, cracks, and generally deforms if you use it a lot in hot and/or humid places. Nevermind, Gunsmoke11 already beat me to it.

+1 regarding what Gunsmoke11 said.

For some reason lots of people who use firearms think they are gunsmiths. They are not.

For some reason lots of people worry about injuring themselves with tools that are designed to kill. Perhaps those people ought not carry things that are designed to kill or realize that the gun won't kill without someone pulling the trigger.