Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep
The Glock is much like a double action revolver. There isn't any safety on one of those is there? And people have been carrying them for many, many years with little to no problems. You sound like you are very well versed in gun safety so I believe you know not to rely on any mechanical safety. The only safety you should be able to rely on is your trained brain. As long as you are confident on your training with the Glock or any other pistol and have top notch equipment (holster) you should have no qualms carrying your Glock chambered.
There is one big difference between a Glock and a DA revolver. When a round is loaded into the chamber of a Glock the firing pin is half cocked. While considered to be DAO, a Glock is not really a double action firearm. It is more like a 1-1/2 action.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #62

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona View Post
There is one big difference between a Glock and a DA revolver. When a round is loaded into the chamber of a Glock the firing pin is half cocked. While considered to be DAO, a Glock is not really a double action firearm. It is more like a 1-1/2 action.

Your concern is very reasonable.
The Glock type gun debate will go on forever. Way too much emotion involved.
Ignore those that try to make you feel foolish.
Be logical, be reasonable. These are deadly devices.

Last edited by Colby; 02-17-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #63

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona View Post
I did say it's much like a revolver not the same and the fact remains that if you do not pull the trigger on either of them, neither will fire. Yes it may take more trigger travel and resistance in a DA revolver but I still maintain that no safety should be relied upon.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #64

Liked 3777 Times on 1868 Posts
Likes Given: 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Trigger time. You need to shoot enough to get confident enough to manipulate the gun. In my experience the lack of confidence leads to the trigger finger creeping into the trigger guard. The subconscious nagging feeling of inability makes one try for an "edge". Getting the finger on the trigger gives the impression of a quicker shot.

Look into professional instruction or action sports competition. IPSC/USPSA is great at giving one experience. After 5 or 6 local mtches you will see your confidence level soar.
Bingo...

NRA Action pistol competitions worked extremely well for me.

The pressure of timed and scored strings of fire does not necessarily replicate the stress of rounds coming back at you but, short of an actual fire fight, it's one of the best training options available.

Tack

Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 161 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 531

If you are not comfortable with a round in the chamber then don't do it. If you are OK. We are all individually responsible for our firearms. If you shoot yourself, it's YOUR fault.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #66
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
I've carried Glocks for hundreds if not thousands of hours. At every position, with different holsters. They absolutely wont fire unless you put your finger on the trigger. I've done thousands of dry draws and never grab the gun with the trigger finger inside the guard. Practice until you are the same.
Ever admit when you are wrong?

Fingers are not the only thing that can push/pull the trigger. How about your shirt coming untucked going over a fence, then you reholster the gun, and your shirt bunches up in the trigger?

Because we do not live in a perfect world, is why some of us encounter out of the ordinary circumstances.

I bet I have owned my G20 longer than most people on this forum have had a Glock, and one thing I have learned in those twenty plus years, is if you think something cannot ever bite you, it no doubt will. That holds true for anything, not just a Glock.

Here is one example where good intentions can fail.

Last edited by AR10; 02-17-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #67

Liked 3777 Times on 1868 Posts
Likes Given: 1024

Now... is it just me? Or is that the funniest damn home movie EVER!

Poetic Justice at it's finest.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Ever admit when you are wrong?

Fingers are not the only thing that can push/pull the trigger. How about your shirt coming untucked going over a fence, then you reholster the gun, and your shirt bunches up in the trigger?

Because we do not live in a perfect world, is why some of us encounter out of the ordinary circumstances.

I bet I have owned my G20 longer than most people on this forum have had a Glock, and one thing I have learned in those twenty plus years, is if you think something cannot ever bite you, it no doubt will. That holds true for anything, not just a Glock.

Here is one example where good intentions can fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5iIY0zelGI

Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #68
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Now... is it just me? Or is that the funniest damn home movie EVER!

Poetic Justice at it's finest.

Tack
I see nothing funny in someone getting hurt, unless it is a laurel and hardy rerun.

If one guy getting hurt pleases you, I bet you loved the holocaust.

Any uncontrolled giggles at the Tsunami that hit Japan?

In the video, I think I hear a round clambering. Does not sound like an empty slide to me. Hard to tell on the video, but an unfortunate (not funny) event in a gun safety lecture.

Last edited by AR10; 02-17-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #69

Liked 61 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo
If you are not comfortable with a round in the chamber then don't do it. If you are OK. We are all individually responsible for our firearms. If you shoot yourself, it's YOUR fault.
Bingo! That appears to be the reasonable answer.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #70
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4521 Times on 2377 Posts
Likes Given: 259

If you dont like the glock get a different gun. The xdm from springfield has a grip safety. There is also a plethora of da/sa guns where the long heavy first pull acts to help prevent negligent discharge. The beretta 92 series has a safety plus decock function.

If you simply cant wrap your head around it tradeit for a gun your comfy with. Angst will only lead you to leaving it at home and violate the cardinal rule of self defense: have a gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This