Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
If it is true that a holstered Glock with one in the chamber is safe, then it surely follows that another holstered handgun with one in the chamber and thumb safety engaged is, at a bare bones minimum, at least as safe.
yup. they are safe. just like a 1911 chambered and safety on is safe.

but, I won't carry a 1911 concealed because again, I don't like how easy it is to flick the safety off and pull that very light, single action trigger.

just personal preference. I love my 1911 that I have tricked out for competition shooting, but I'd never carry it.

then again, with the modifications to the safeties and trigger, Ive forgotten how a "bone stock mil-spec" 1911 feels, so maybe if I went and bought a second 1911 and left it alone, I might feel safe carrying it. however, I prefer my Beretta again, because I can carry 15+1 of .40 and the mag sits flush with the frame, instead of 10+1 of .45 if I'm using my extended 1911 mags.

(and some folks will prefer to carry 9mm because they can carry 18+1 capacity in the same size package)

Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #42

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post

I hear your point. always follow the safe rules...every gun is loaded, finger off trigger until ready to shoot, etc. but, the fact of the matter is, bad things CAN happen.

what do you have to say about the story (with pics) that I saw on here, where the gentleman was carrying a pistol (don't remember if it was glock, but pretty sure it was) in an all leather holster. his hand wasn't anywhere near the weapon. he was getting into a vehicle. the leather had "gone soft" with age, and the motion of getting into the vehicle, fired off a round, it grazed his ass cheek making him bleed a little, and put the round into the floor board of the car after going through the seat.

Sure, now that we've all heard the story, we know to look for it, (learning from others mistakes) but what happens when something "off the wall" like that happens that we HAVEN'T heard about or thought about?

failure to recognize that something like this might happen, in my opinion, is like an ostrich putting it's head in the sand.

however, I feel Glocks ARE safe to carry and if I had a Glock, I would carry one "hot"

But, I carry a Beretta chambered, safety off. hammer down. that long heavy first trigger pull is something that I feel would make it nearly impossible to accidentally pull the trigger if my holster breaks down, or some other odd thing may happen.
Remember that little part of firearms safety about care and maintenance of weapons and equipment? That includes holsters. This situation was a result of negligence. Its no different from driving 100k miles in your car without ever changing the oil and then acting surprised when the motor blows up.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #43

Quote:

There you go assuming you know anything at all about me. You obviously do not.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/officer-376248-department-police.html
Quote all the instances you like, the truth remains. If you maintain your equipment and keep your finger off the trigger then you wont shoot yourself. I promise!

If you dont follow the firearms safety rules, then a manual safety lever will not help you.

My posts are not meant to be inflammatory. I just dont sugar coat things. Guns do not fire themselves. I dont care what brand is stamped on the side.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #44

Liked 309 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
yup. they are safe. just like a 1911 chambered and safety on is safe.

but, I won't carry a 1911 concealed because again, I don't like how easy it is to flick the safety off and pull that very light, single action trigger.

just personal preference. I love my 1911 that I have tricked out for competition shooting, but I'd never carry it.
What cuda said. I love my 1911, (mine's not tricked out, it's stock), too, but EDC? No way. I'm puzzled at this obsession with external safeties. The new technology isn't really new any more, it's proven. To each his own, I feel safer carrying my M&P in C1 with no external safeties than I ever did with my 1911 that has three.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #45

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00

Quote all the instances you like, the truth remains. If you maintain your equipment and keep your finger off the trigger then you wont shoot yourself. I promise!

If you dont follow the firearms safety rules, then a manual safety lever will not help you.

My posts are not meant to be inflammatory. I just dont sugar coat things. Guns do not fire themselves. I dont care what brand is stamped on the side.
Yes, we really do get it. We are not arguing that the gun will go off on its own even if you keep your finger off the trigger and obey safety rules so please stop repeating yourself and attempt to understand what I am saying, please. Personally I have spent the past 35 years of my life shooting guns with traditional safeties while practicing ALL safety rules all the time. After 35 years, I have certain paradigms in my mind about how a gun should be equipped. When you hand me a gun that has no real "traditional" safety it stirs up irrational fears about the equipment, not my personal skill level or ability to keep my "booger hook off the bang switch" as you said. What I am looking for is maybe some statistics on Glock safety records or an explanation of the three safety systems in a glock and how they work to put my mind at ease.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #46

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I suggest unloading and safety checking. In front of a mirror, holster your glock after racking the slide. Draw and acquire target in mirror keeping finger off trigger. Reholster, rinse and repeat. You will build muscle memory for drawing and reholstering all the while unless clothing gets in the trigger guard, it will not dry fire. It should build confidence enough. Just an idea.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #47

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrange
I suggest unloading and safety checking. In front of a mirror, holster your glock after racking the slide. Draw and acquire target in mirror keeping finger off trigger. Reholster, rinse and repeat. You will build muscle memory for drawing and reholstering all the while unless clothing gets in the trigger guard, it will not dry fire. It should build confidence enough. Just an idea.
Good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona View Post
Good idea. Thanks for the feedback.
There have been lots of valuable suggestions and advice so far on how to overcome your dilemma. I'll make you a deal. Try whichever ones you like and if you're still not comfortable without a manual safety, we can work out a deal and i'll purchase your 27 from you. I've been looking for a 27 anyways and you can use the money for an M&P 40c which is the same size, same caliber, and does have a manual safety.

I plan to buy a 27 one way or the other within the next few weeks. I'll keep checking back to see your progress. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #49
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Of course there's always the Israeli method. I learned this, but don't see myself racking with my support hand very efficiently in the event my other hand is injured. I can, however, disengage an Ambi safety with either hand.
It's a very good thing to get comfortable with, I am versed with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwardo23 View Post
I just recently started carrying (about a month ago. My only handgun is a glock 17. I understand where you're coming from as I am still somewhat uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. I use the Saf-T-Blok and still don't have one in the chamber, but I'm still getting used to CC. It fits fine in my Crossbreed super tuck ITW.
Honestly what is the point of either if you are doing the other? I suggest a hard holster or a hybrid for this type of firearm. I have one for my Nano and I would be comfortable enough with it. I don't carry with one in the chamber, but I am proficient with racking the slide "Israeli style" (I like how that sounds, it sounds like it's got certain spices on it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona View Post
This is not about my lack of confidence in my personal ability. You are way off base and out of line.
Just out of curiosity, what is it about then?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #50

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have been carrying guns around for over 40 years and still don't like to have one in the pipe while I'm walking around. I am willing to gamble that I have the half second or so to chamber a round. To each their own. Even when I carry the new army, I will shoot one off in the yard and leave the hammer on the empty chamber before I take off for the woods. Never had an AD.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer