Glock Safety - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Safety

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dblcrona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00

Yes i did. You are afraid of a gun without a manual safety because you are not confident in your ability to consistently follow rule number one of firearms safety. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. My previous response still stands
This is not about my lack of confidence in my personal ability. You are way off base and out of line.
__________________
dblcrona is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
70cuda383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marysville,OH
Posts: 505
Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
No they arent. If you cant follow the basic rules of firearms safety and keep your finger off the damn trigger then it makes no difference which gun you decide to carry. It is a recipe for disaster.

If you can follow the rules, then your fears are irrational.

I hear your point. always follow the safe rules...every gun is loaded, finger off trigger until ready to shoot, etc. but, the fact of the matter is, bad things CAN happen.

what do you have to say about the story (with pics) that I saw on here, where the gentleman was carrying a pistol (don't remember if it was glock, but pretty sure it was) in an all leather holster. his hand wasn't anywhere near the weapon. he was getting into a vehicle. the leather had "gone soft" with age, and the motion of getting into the vehicle, fired off a round, it grazed his ass cheek making him bleed a little, and put the round into the floor board of the car after going through the seat.

Sure, now that we've all heard the story, we know to look for it, (learning from others mistakes) but what happens when something "off the wall" like that happens that we HAVEN'T heard about or thought about?


failure to recognize that something like this might happen, in my opinion, is like an ostrich putting it's head in the sand.

however, I feel Glocks ARE safe to carry and if I had a Glock, I would carry one "hot"

But, I carry a Beretta chambered, safety off. hammer down. that long heavy first trigger pull is something that I feel would make it nearly impossible to accidentally pull the trigger if my holster breaks down, or some other odd thing may happen.
__________________
70cuda383 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #33
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Perhaps we should take a simple look at this conversation. A gun by itself will never go bang. If a person is unsure about a firearm it is probably best for them to avoid it.

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danolator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 630
Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00

No they arent. If you cant follow the basic rules of firearms safety and keep your finger off the damn trigger then it makes no difference which gun you decide to carry. It is a recipe for disaster.

If you can follow the rules, then your fears are irrational.
There you go assuming you know anything at all about me. You obviously do not.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/officer-376248-department-police.html
__________________
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. My rod is a GLOCK and it comforts me

Last edited by danolator; 02-12-2013 at 06:20 PM.
danolator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lyodbraun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 159
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

That cop must have been using one of them assault weapons, and one with them fail safe safeties.... On it...

LOL

__________________
lyodbraun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I find it funny when people always use cops as examples of how firearms can be so dangerous. As if "see? Even a cop shot himself with a accidental discharge." First, most police officers get 40 hours of range training in academy, and re-qualify yearly. Out of that bunch, a lot don't practice except right before the yearly qualify, so not always the best example. First rule of firearm safety taught is keep your finger off the trigger unless you're intending to shoot. Glocks are very safe if you use proper safety. Also, if one is doing proper equipment check (every time you strap the gun on), holster failure won't be very likely. I'm a Corrections officer in upstate NY by the way.

__________________
bassplaya is offline  
Hyrev Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
I hear your point. always follow the safe rules...every gun is loaded, finger off trigger until ready to shoot, etc. but, the fact of the matter is, bad things CAN happen.

what do you have to say about the story (with pics) that I saw on here, where the gentleman was carrying a pistol (don't remember if it was glock, but pretty sure it was) in an all leather holster. his hand wasn't anywhere near the weapon. he was getting into a vehicle. the leather had "gone soft" with age, and the motion of getting into the vehicle, fired off a round, it grazed his ass cheek making him bleed a little, and put the round into the floor board of the car after going through the seat.

Sure, now that we've all heard the story, we know to look for it, (learning from others mistakes) but what happens when something "off the wall" like that happens that we HAVEN'T heard about or thought about?


failure to recognize that something like this might happen, in my opinion, is like an ostrich putting it's head in the sand.

however, I feel Glocks ARE safe to carry and if I had a Glock, I would carry one "hot"

But, I carry a Beretta chambered, safety off. hammer down. that long heavy first trigger pull is something that I feel would make it nearly impossible to accidentally pull the trigger if my holster breaks down, or some other odd thing may happen.
You make good valid points. As I've said a couple times now, there are things that just happen. We have no control over them. I mean, in a situation of extreme duress if you are drawing to return fire at someone firing at you, the chance is there for an unintentional round to go off in a mad dash to return fire that you could grab and get trigger. Now, that can happen with any weapon, but I'm looking to hypotheticals here for the sake of "what if." In Cuda's response, we see he is carries a DA with hammer down. A lot less likely to happen with that style of weapon, however nay impossible. I think the OP was just looking for reassurance in his train of thought, and of course a few immediately question his ability to handle a firearm. This is what creates an inflammatory thread and is, at most, unneeded to aid in finding the desired answer. As to the answer, the best I could give you would be to use a quality holster (perhaps a molded unit with a tough polymer) that incorporates a trigger guard to aid you in dispensing your fear as such.

(as a side note: There are posts where inflammatory comments do get the point across. The one in the handgun section about .22's is a good example. I see no reason not to flame those giving obvious horrendously bad advice in an effort to avert someone buying something dangerous that could cause personal injury)
__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #38
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post

You make good valid points. As I've said a couple times now, there are things that just happen. We have no control over them. I mean, in a situation of extreme duress if you are drawing to return fire at someone firing at you, the chance is there for an unintentional round to go off in a mad dash to return fire that you could grab and get trigger. Now, that can happen with any weapon, but I'm looking to hypotheticals here for the sake of "what if." In Cuda's response, we see he is carries a DA with hammer down. A lot less likely to happen with that style of weapon, however nay impossible. I think the OP was just looking for reassurance in his train of thought, and of course a few immediately question his ability to handle a firearm. This is what creates an inflammatory thread and is, at most, unneeded to aid in finding the desired answer. As to the answer, the best I could give you would be to use a quality holster (perhaps a molded unit with a tough polymer) that incorporates a trigger guard to aid you in dispensing your fear as such.

(as a side note: There are posts where inflammatory comments do get the point across. The one in the handgun section about .22's is a good example. I see no reason not to flame those giving obvious horrendously bad advice in an effort to avert someone buying something dangerous that could cause personal injury)
Very well worded and good advice. A point that seems to be missed in this thread is that extra safeties can just as easily cost you in a tense situation. What if you have time for one shot and you forget to flip your safety in your mad dash to return fire? Safeties work both ways, regardless it comes down to the operator.
__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
Hyrev Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I don't believe the op is worried about pulling the trigger by mistake. And neither am I. I follow the basic safety rules. However, as others have mentioned, s*** happens. There is a possibility of the gun going off without user error, IMO. Especially when holstering. I will continue to use my Saf-T-Blok. Regardless of how much training I have.

__________________
mwardo23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danolator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 630
Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I get your point. But most guys & gals that aren't LEO, and don't have the continual training, and don't have to requalify annually, and aren't put in very volatile situations multiple times over the years; just might need that little extra safety feature. They come on the vast majority of handguns, shotguns, and rifles. And this is where I wish you would try to add a little understanding. Many of us LOVE GLOCKS. We just like more effective safeties. I can't see why that is so difficult to comprehend. I see LEO with full size M&P's with and without thumb safeties. This gives the experts, such as yourself, a choice. If Glock offered a choice, I would sell my M&P in a heart beat and never look back. If it is true that a holstered Glock with one in the chamber is safe, then it surely follows that another holstered handgun with one in the chamber and thumb safety engaged is, at a bare bones minimum, at least as safe. There can be no valid argument here. So why give those of us who love Glocks but aren't comfortable carrying them, such a hard time? I'm now done with this thread. It will surely come up again. Peace.

__________________
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. My rod is a GLOCK and it comforts me

Last edited by danolator; 02-12-2013 at 09:30 PM.
danolator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Sig 226 with safety? SRT? TerminalE3 SIG Sauer Forum 20 12-24-2012 04:43 PM
Safety First Jo da Plumbr Ammunition & Reloading 12 10-27-2009 02:15 AM
Glock trigger safety? themanbeau Glock Forum 27 09-22-2009 03:08 AM
Gun Safety ShootSlowly Training & Safety 40 12-08-2008 07:33 AM