Glock Safety - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Right now, Glock is one of- if not THE most popular handgun carried by law enforcement in the US on a daily basis. With a round chambered. If you do not put your finger on the trigger, it does not fire.

The NDs that I HAVE seen with a Glock included things like trying to reholster the pistol WITH YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER. The pistol did what it was designed to do- fire when the trigger is pressed.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Right now, Glock is one of- if not THE most popular handgun carried by law enforcement in the US on a daily basis. With a round chambered. If you do not put your finger on the trigger, it does not fire.

The NDs that I HAVE seen with a Glock included things like trying to reholster the pistol WITH YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER. The pistol did what it was designed to do- fire when the trigger is pressed.
Yea it is the most popular. Don't forget that you have the NY trigger mods as well. There's a reason they have a stiffer trigger. I see precisely what the OP sees, and I carried my Glock for years without a round in the chamber for that exact reason. It's not that i'm uncomfortable carrying a loaded weapon, it's that I don't want a loaded weapon with no real safety mechanism. I carry my Sig P938 Con 1 everyday. Carrying a Glock Con 0 was not what I wanted. My glock is my nightstand gun. From time to time I carry it for nostalgia purposes as it was the first quality handgun I ever purchased. But in an intense, high pressure situation where I would have to draw with the speed of light, i'd have a little concern. Not a lot, just a little. I've taught myself through repetition to draw my sig and in the motion of drawing it, click off the safety. I just get where he is coming from.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00
If you cant keep your booger hook off the bang switch until youre ready to shoot, then you shouldnt be carrying anything at all. The gun is not the problem. You have a training issue. A manual safety is not going to help you. You will just get into the habit of clicking the safety off as you draw. If your finger isnt where its supposed to be, youre just going to pop yourself in the thigh. You need practice, not a different gun.
Exactly. The gun does have a manual safety, you push it off when you pull the trigger. Do not touch the trigger until you have made the conscious decision to fire!!!! Even if gun is unloaded, at gun shop, whatever the case. No touching tht trigger!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #14

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00
If you cant keep your booger hook off the bang switch until youre ready to shoot, then you shouldnt be carrying anything at all. The gun is not the problem. You have a training issue. A manual safety is not going to help you. You will just get into the habit of clicking the safety off as you draw. If your finger isnt where its supposed to be, youre just going to pop yourself in the thigh. You need practice, not a different gun.
You don't know me or my level of expertise. Your assumptions are sophomoric.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #15

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

another option is to test how well you are trained. during my CHL class a fellow student related how he carried his with a piece of tissue paper taped across the trigger so that if he ever put his finger in, it would tear. he practiced carrying the pistol around for a couple of weeks until he didn't tear the paper any more. once he reached that state, he eventually went round in chamber.

Me? I carry with round in chamber. But, it was after practicing a lot not to let my finger in the circle until I had sights on target and was firing.

IMHO, just develop a plan and practice it until you develop the muscle memory

Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #16

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

I will never carry a glock simply because there is no thumb safety if they had one I wouldn't have sold my glock and I would probably by another but they will never have thumb safety's so that's outta the question

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #17

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Glock isn't any different than my M&P 40c. It's all about good habits.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #18

Liked 1872 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 1419

I’m curious if people who have pistols with both kinds of safeties, separate thumb & Glock ‘styles’, if going back and forth between them confuses their muscular memory.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #19

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

I have a XDM, Glock, M&P,and S&W, no issues here. I do sgoo all quite frequently so that I'm sure helps

Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton

Yea it is the most popular. Don't forget that you have the NY trigger mods as well. There's a reason they have a stiffer trigger. I see precisely what the OP sees, and I carried my Glock for years without a round in the chamber for that exact reason. It's not that i'm uncomfortable carrying a loaded weapon, it's that I don't want a loaded weapon with no real safety mechanism. I carry my Sig P938 Con 1 everyday. Carrying a Glock Con 0 was not what I wanted. My glock is my nightstand gun. From time to time I carry it for nostalgia purposes as it was the first quality handgun I ever purchased. But in an intense, high pressure situation where I would have to draw with the speed of light, i'd have a little concern. Not a lot, just a little. I've taught myself through repetition to draw my sig and in the motion of drawing it, click off the safety. I just get where he is coming from.
I'm glad at least a couple people here understand where I am coming from. Thanks a lot for your input. I have always thought that the idea of a trigger safety is a bit of a joke. A safety is by definition supposed to prevent you from pulling the trigger. You could have a dozen trigger safeties but not one of them will prevent you from firing the pistol. No, it is not that I can't keep my finger off the trigger as some have suggested. I have been shooting for 35 years and grew up with guns and gun safety my entire life. I have even shot competitively. I know and understand all the safety rules and I never put my finger inside the trigger guard until I am aiming at my intended target. It is merely the thought of having no real safety that seems dangerous to me. In my mind I equate carying a Glock with a round in the chamber the same as carying a 1911 loaded and cocked with the safety off. At least that is how it feels to someone who has ony owned a Glock for a couple of months. The more I shoot it the more comfortable I become. With more time will come a greater sense of comfort.