Glock Safety
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Glock Safety

I recently purchased a Glock 27 as my cary pistol. I love the gun but I'm still not crazy about carying a pistol without a traditional safety. While I understand the trigger safety and the firing pin safety systems of a Glock, and the fact it is a DAO, I still am not comfortable carying it hot with a round in the chamber. While it is considered a DAO it is really more like a 1-1/2 action as the firing pin is half cocked when the slide is racked. Can anyone give me some help in getting over this? Also, I do cary in a DeSantis ITW leather holster that covers the trigger guard and makes pulling the trigger while in the holster impossible. Any input would be apprecisted. Thanks a lot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am no expert on this but I would say that it all boils down to how you draw the gun. Obviously you do not want to put your finger near the trigger until your ready to fire. I would carry it chambered and practice drawing it unloaded, keeping your finger off of the trigger.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What I did was carry in with out one in the chamber for awhile. Around the house, take a nap whatever. You will notice the the trigger never gets pulled the firing pin stays where it should and you will be more comfortable. Took me about a week

Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #4

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lack of manual safety is the reason I put on a tac light and made my Glock my nightstand gun. I just can't get comfortable holstering that weapon in condition 1. I prefer condition 2 & that's the only reason I carry an M&P. IMO, Glock is a superior weapon.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 961 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

The answer for me, was Safe-T-Blok. Amazon

Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
The answer for me, was Safe-T-Blok. Amazon
Got one of those, but can't use it in my holsters. What holster do you use?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

If you cant keep your booger hook off the bang switch until youre ready to shoot, then you shouldnt be carrying anything at all. The gun is not the problem. You have a training issue. A manual safety is not going to help you. You will just get into the habit of clicking the safety off as you draw. If your finger isnt where its supposed to be, youre just going to pop yourself in the thigh. You need practice, not a different gun.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #8

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00
If you cant keep your booger hook off the bang switch until youre ready to shoot, then you shouldnt be carrying anything at all. The gun is not the problem. You have a training issue. A manual safety is not going to help you. You will just get into the habit of clicking the safety off as you draw. If your finger isnt where its supposed to be, youre just going to pop yourself in the thigh. You need practice, not a different gun.
This is true. But even pros make mistakes.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00
Did you even read my initial post?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Trigger time. You need to shoot enough to get confident enough to manipulate the gun. In my experience the lack of confidence leads to the trigger finger creeping into the trigger guard. The subconscious nagging feeling of inability makes one try for an "edge". Getting the finger on the trigger gives the impression of a quicker shot.

Look into professional instruction or action sports competition. IPSC/USPSA is great at giving one experience. After 5 or 6 local mtches you will see your confidence level soar.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This