Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-safety-83930/)

dblcrona 02-11-2013 02:59 AM

Glock Safety

I recently purchased a Glock 27 as my cary pistol. I love the gun but I'm still not crazy about carying a pistol without a traditional safety. While I understand the trigger safety and the firing pin safety systems of a Glock, and the fact it is a DAO, I still am not comfortable carying it hot with a round in the chamber. While it is considered a DAO it is really more like a 1-1/2 action as the firing pin is half cocked when the slide is racked. Can anyone give me some help in getting over this? Also, I do cary in a DeSantis ITW leather holster that covers the trigger guard and makes pulling the trigger while in the holster impossible. Any input would be apprecisted. Thanks a lot.

95sniper 02-11-2013 03:03 AM

I am no expert on this but I would say that it all boils down to how you draw the gun. Obviously you do not want to put your finger near the trigger until your ready to fire. I would carry it chambered and practice drawing it unloaded, keeping your finger off of the trigger.

Kraj 02-11-2013 04:53 AM

What I did was carry in with out one in the chamber for awhile. Around the house, take a nap whatever. You will notice the the trigger never gets pulled the firing pin stays where it should and you will be more comfortable. Took me about a week

danolator 02-11-2013 08:31 AM

Lack of manual safety is the reason I put on a tac light and made my Glock my nightstand gun. I just can't get comfortable holstering that weapon in condition 1. I prefer condition 2 & that's the only reason I carry an M&P. IMO, Glock is a superior weapon.

AR10 02-11-2013 08:38 AM

The answer for me, was Safe-T-Blok. Amazon

danolator 02-11-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR10
The answer for me, was Safe-T-Blok. Amazon

Got one of those, but can't use it in my holsters. What holster do you use?

ryguy00 02-11-2013 01:43 PM

If you cant keep your booger hook off the bang switch until youre ready to shoot, then you shouldnt be carrying anything at all. The gun is not the problem. You have a training issue. A manual safety is not going to help you. You will just get into the habit of clicking the safety off as you draw. If your finger isnt where its supposed to be, youre just going to pop yourself in the thigh. You need practice, not a different gun.

lbwar15 02-11-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryguy00
If you cant keep your booger hook off the bang switch until youre ready to shoot, then you shouldnt be carrying anything at all. The gun is not the problem. You have a training issue. A manual safety is not going to help you. You will just get into the habit of clicking the safety off as you draw. If your finger isnt where its supposed to be, youre just going to pop yourself in the thigh. You need practice, not a different gun.

This is true. But even pros make mistakes.

dblcrona 02-11-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryguy00

Did you even read my initial post?

robocop10mm 02-11-2013 03:03 PM

Trigger time. You need to shoot enough to get confident enough to manipulate the gun. In my experience the lack of confidence leads to the trigger finger creeping into the trigger guard. The subconscious nagging feeling of inability makes one try for an "edge". Getting the finger on the trigger gives the impression of a quicker shot.

Look into professional instruction or action sports competition. IPSC/USPSA is great at giving one experience. After 5 or 6 local mtches you will see your confidence level soar.