You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Glock plus Mechtechsys = 9mm Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Glock plus Mechtechsys = 9mm Carbine

Has anyone any experience with this system? Although it's a bit pricey, it's also very intriguing. I have a Glock 23, but since this would replace the entire upper assembly, I'd get the Glock 19 version so it's a 9mm instead of the 40 which should have better ballistics past pistol range.

Any comments? Thanks.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1102 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Apart from ammo sharing (which you can't do without purchasing a second pistol), what's the attraction of pistol caliber carbines that have equivalent weight in comparison to lightweight AR carbines and very similar cost (for low-end AR's, obviously)?

Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles. Presumably, you already have the pistol. If you want a rifle, get a rifle.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Liked 4349 Times on 2515 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Apart from ammo sharing (which you can't do without purchasing a second pistol), what's the attraction of pistol caliber carbines that have equivalent weight in comparison to lightweight AR carbines and very similar cost (for low-end AR's, obviously)?

Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles. Presumably, you already have the pistol. If you want a rifle, get a rifle.
Suppressing is easier. Use in indoor ranges for practice is more accessible. Getting a velocity boost out of the extra barrel length. Using for training new shooters on a lower recoil/lower muzzle blast platform. Easier to make accurate hits with.

You already mentioned the logistics of ammo sharing, which can extend to same mags, same reliading components. Cost of handgun ammo over rifle ammo for training. Easier to reload pistol cal. ammo in high volume, than bottle neck rifle cartridges.

Just a few conveniences if not full fledged advantages.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1102 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Suppressing is easier. Use in indoor ranges for practice is more accessible. Getting a velocity boost out of the extra barrel length. Using for training new shooters on a lower recoil/lower muzzle blast platform. Easier to make accurate hits with.
I can see the advantages of that. The indoor range I go to permits us to use 5.56MM. AR's are definitely louder than pistols, although I always use double hearing protection irrespective of what I'm shooting. Still, the pistols, pistol caliber carbines, and submachine guns are noticeably less obnoxious than AR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
You already mentioned the logistics of ammo sharing, which can extend to same mags, same reliading components. Cost of handgun ammo over rifle ammo for training. Easier to reload pistol cal. ammo in high volume, than bottle neck rifle cartridges.
Have you purchased any Glock magazines lately? I can get three PMAG's for the price of one Glock mag unless I'm buying MagPul Glock mags.

Ammo cost is definitely killer. That's why I rarely shoot anything but 9MM and 5.56MM these days.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #5

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know a lot, but this seems to be a great close quarters solution. Every weapon has it's purpose, this could be a perfect 25-50 yard solution for home defense with a smaller yard, at a reasonable price and the ability to practice with the cheapest ammo there is, at any range. I'm looking for opinions, but quite frankly, I am not ready to buy anything yet. I saw it in a magazine and thought it was a cool solution.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post

Have you purchased any Glock magazines lately? I can get three PMAG's for the price of one Glock mag unless I'm buying MagPul Glock mag.
I have three 9mm Glock pistols and several mags that I picked up over time, including some 33 rounders, when I had my KelTec Sub2000. I check used mag boxes at gun and pawn shops. Glock mags hold up pretty well and often just a change of spring and follower makes them as trustworthy as new.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:58 PM   #7

Liked 6333 Times on 4168 Posts
Likes Given: 3245

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
Has anyone any experience with this system? Although it's a bit pricey, it's also very intriguing. I have a Glock 23, but since this would replace the entire upper assembly, I'd get the Glock 19 version so it's a 9mm instead of the 40 which should have better ballistics past pistol range.

Any comments? Thanks.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php
I owned one. It was not entirely reliable with any ammo (unlike the Glock pistol I bought it for). To put it together you have to fumble with a slippery insert called the Glock block. Granted, the Mech Tech upper is an ingenious piece of work, and you will have fun with it. But it is not a "professional grade" carbine like the Beretta Storm for example.

A prediction if I may - after shooting the Mech Tech for some time, you will STILL want a bona fide carbine. Maybe even more so.

My advice - if you can legally buy another firearm - save your money and buy a real carbine.
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 12-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I owned one. It was not entirely reliable with any ammo (unlike the Glock pistol I bought it for). To put it together you have to fumble with a slippery insert called the Glock block. Granted, the Mech Tech upper is an ingenious piece of work, and you will have fun with it. But it is not a "professional grade" carbine like the Beretta Storm for example.

A prediction if I may - after shooting the Mech Tech for some time, you will STILL want a bona fide carbine. Maybe even more so.

My advice - if you can legally buy another firearm - save your money and buy a real carbine.

Seems like good advice. I want a 9mm AR platform carbine that uses Glock mags.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:13 AM   #9

Liked 5163 Times on 2950 Posts
Likes Given: 8596

personally i like the idea of having two different platforms that use the same ammo. at some point as finances permit, i also plan on buying or building an AR carbine in 9mm.

and if a person was going to go that particular route of two platforms using the same type of ammo, i would surely do some testing to insure ammo that works well in one works well in the other in case either one is needed for whatever reason.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

Liked 158 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I have two Mech Tech units in 10mm
One for a 1911 the other is for my Glock G20
They are surprisingly accurate and very reliable. I cannot recall an issue with either
I say go ahead and buy it you will love it