Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock pistols, ticking timebombs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxs13sleeper View Post
hi. im a newbie and im looking to get a handgun. ive shot my friends .45 glock and i love the kick it delivers. im doing my homework on a couple of glock related forums and got a question to this post above. what does he mean by "I shoot weekly with a range of ammo (no reloads) without any issues."

i dont get the no reloads part

-thao
Hey, Sleeper! Take off your shoes, get comfortable, and swing by the introductions section to say hi!

By "reloads" he means hand-loaded ammo. A lot of shooters will purchase bullets and powder, reuse casings, and make their own cartridges. Often, handloads can be "hotter" than factory-loaded ammunition, operating at a higher pressure, which can damage guns not designed for that amount of stress.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Hey, Sleeper! Take off your shoes, get comfortable, and swing by the introductions section to say hi!

By "reloads" he means hand-loaded ammo. A lot of shooters will purchase bullets and powder, reuse casings, and make their own cartridges. Often, handloads can be "hotter" than factory-loaded ammunition, operating at a higher pressure, which can damage guns not designed for that amount of stress.
oh ok .. thanks. what i thought when i first read that was. taking the bullet in and out of the magazine, reloading and loading the same bullets in the magazine which makes it bad to shoot. but i understand now. and thx for the quick reply . you guys are quick and helpful thx. i will go into the introduction asap

Old 02-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #73

Liked 224 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sleeper,
Glock forbids the use of reloads in their guns.

Reloads could contribute to Kabooms in three ways:
1) Lead bullets will lead up a polygonal rifled barrel quickly, increasing pressures.

2) Re-used cases may be weak from previous firings and could more easily burst.

3) Errors in reloading could increase pressures.

I think the " Kaboom " issue can be compared to houses blowing up from gas explosions, ships' boilers blowing up and other rare occurances that we need not fret about.

Last edited by Rentacop; 02-21-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #74

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've used, and owned Glocks for 13 years. My dept's used G17, G19, & G22. I have a G30 that I C.C. a lot. In those 13 years, a recoil spring on an officers G19 broke during qualifications. Other than that everything has been working fine.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #75

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Sleeper,

1) Lead bullets will lead up a polygonal rifled barrel quickly, increasing pressures.

I think the " Kaboom " issue can be compared to houses blowing up from gas explosions, ships' boilers blowing up and other rare occurances that we need not fret about.
They don't "FORBID" it, they just advise against it. If you want to shoot reloads, it is on you, it voids their warranty. They won't come and take your gun away if you shoot reloads.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #76

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I've used, and owned Glocks for 13 years. My dept's used G17, G19, & G22. I have a G30 that I C.C. a lot. In those 13 years, a recoil spring on an officers G19 broke during qualifications. Other than that everything has been working fine.
I've been a Glock Armorer for 10 years. It is amazing that the Glock system continues to shoot even in some of the conditions that I have seen them in. I just did an "annual check" on a 2-pin 19 (but not as old as mine, I carry a 1st gen) that belongs to one of our new hires. He is retired from another department and just started with us. He is the original owner of the pistol, he purchased it new in '94 or '95 and carried it every day. It had never been inspected or given a thorough cleaning. Out here it can be very dusty and being open carried, it was open to the elements. The firing pin channel was so full of gunk that I don't know how it operated. I know it did work because he had just qualified with it, but hadn't cleaned it before returning to work. I ended up changing all but one of the springs, giving it a couple of upgrades and modifications that had been done since it left the factory, and a very thorough cleaning. Gunzilla is wonderful. By the time I was done, it was almost like new. Glock reccomends that the recoil spring assembly be changed between 3000 and 5000 rounds, but it not very expensive to replace it. Most Glock parts should not cost the weapon owner more than $5 to $10. The factory recoil spring assembly shouldn't cost more than $15, springs for 26, 27,30, and 4th gens will be more because they are compound.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Sleeper,

thx for the info

Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 AM   #78

Likes Given: 2

I have a Glock 22 2nd gen. with a lonewolf barrel aftermarket recoil spring in 40sw and i love it.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #79

Likes Given: 2

Aftermarket barrel for reloads thats a must.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 AM   #80

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've read about the occasional KB with Glocks, but I have also read the same thing about other brands. I can only go by my personal experiences and the brands record.
IMHO Glocks are the AK-47's of the pistol world. They can take extreme abuse and still go bang. I have to wonder how may of these reported KBs are ammo-related. In addition, consider how many Glocks are in service. I would guess that in proportion to the total number of Glocks out there the percentage of problems is very small.