Glock pistols, ticking timebombs? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock pistols, ticking timebombs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ticking time bomb?

Well, I have few Glocks. The G17/22/21. I only fire factory ammo out of the
G17. I reload for the more expensive stuff. Years ago, I encountered issues with my G21 with my reloads, failing to feed, because i was making 200 gr semi wad cutters for my 1911 and wanted to use them in my G21. The only issue was the empty case being ejected would strike the top bullet in the magazine deforming it and causing a feeding problem. I had no idea about the polygonal barrel fouling and pressure issues. I struggled with the g21 and was going to sell the POS. I started to hear about glocks exploding and how the glock barrels fouled causing overpressure. Then you see guys shooting them underwater and figure it just plastic pistol bashing. You try firing a shotgun underwater and see what happens. I bought an aftermarket barrel and it made all the difference in function and accuracy. The only pistol i ever had blow up in my hands was a .44 cal ball and capper that chained fired all cyclinders at once(my fault for not sealing off the cyclinders).
The issues are the Glock barrels and if you don't reload then there's none.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #42

Default Glock 21 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
So, my question here is how many people have had a significant issue with a Glock pistol. I know Sgt. Miller had some trouble with a Glock 21,
I bought the first series 21 Model, put 48.000 rounds trough it and sold it to a good friend who put another 20.000 +on top before he had an issue.
It seems like the gun "blew" up in a way - the pipe were broken where the feeding ramp goes to be a part of the barrel, its also wrecked the lower frame part. IMO we could still use the slide and some smaller trigger parts.
We suspect there could be an "home-made" cartridge that caused this to happen - but we don't know for sure.

Helge
Kongsberg Colt .45 1923 -Matching numbers

Old 11-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullcreature View Post
I have been carrying one as a duty pistol for over 15 years, same one in fact. Glock model 22. I have not only used it for carry purposes and standard qualification and training, but I have used it for pleasure purposes too. I have probably fired in excess of 60,000 rounds out of it now and not one single malfunction of any kind, even ammo related. Bash it all you want to, but mine is great and I would most definitely not trade it in for a 1911...which I also have plenty of experience shooting and building.

My 10c.
Agree. As concealed carry is prohibited in Norway, every gun is for target/practice. If ever have to relay on only one handgun, I would go for the 9mm Glock. We have no restriction on mag. capacity. If so, I would relay on Glock .45-
I had stove pipes and all sorts of jamming, BUT I did use lead bullets (SW) and bad home-made ammo.
Glock is as far as I know the only gun to be left lock & cocked as long as you like without danger of weakening the springs - its ready to go year after year. Just grab it and off you go.
My personal peace today is a 1923 Kongsberg made Colt .45 made under licence in Norway.
With no buffer and jacked bullets = zero problems.

Great Forum & Members :-)

Helge

Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #44

How do you know if ammo is lead or not? On the box that I have it doesnt say.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The reference to lead rounds means just lead — no jacketing. If the round is jacketed, fully or partially, it's fine. Open the box and look at one of the rounds. If the entire bullet is lead (dark, dull gray), it's lead. If all or some of it is covered with copper, it's jacketed, and it will shoot fine.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #46

I just got some Winchester SXZ 9 Training ammo. It looks dark in color but have read reviews about people with glocks shooting it just fine. It was really cheap though, 12.99 a box. OK to shoot???

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The picture I found of Winchester SXZ 9 training rounds says "FMJ" on the box. If yours says the same thing, that means it's jacketed, not lead.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #48

It does, thank you for the information! I will make sure to look for that to make sure its all jacketed. Sorry for the very noob question but thank you for the great answer!

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No problem. You should never be ashamed to ask questions.

— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #50

i,ve got 2 glock 20,s in 10mm and 3 1911,s. 1 colt and 2 springers. both have served me well with no ftf,s of anykind. glock by far is alot more cost effective IMO. all my special forces buddys told me to buy a glock so i did. i was hesatant on buying a plastic gun but i have to say its carried its own weight very well. fittment is very good, accuracy is very good out of the box for glock also. and 10mm carrie a punch too. JMO
BOB