Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock pistols, ticking timebombs? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-pistols-ticking-timebombs-13889/)

Bighead 05-15-2009 05:07 AM

Glock pistols, ticking timebombs?

It seems like lately every time Glock pistols are mentioned in a thread here come the pics of Glock KBs and testimonials about how 1911s are the only gun that is really up to the job of personal protection.

Yes, there are issues that Glock shooters should be aware of, especially with .40 caliber models. However, there are millions of Glock pistols in circulation, and they are not some kind of "ring of fire" manufacturing pariah.

So, my question here is how many people have had a significant issue with a Glock pistol. I know Sgt. Miller had some trouble with a Glock 21, and Sarge feel free to post details. Who else has had problems with a Glock pistols, or has witnessed first hand a catastrophic failure of a Glock pistol. First hand now, not some gunrange watercooler legend.

Lets here about it.

canebrake 05-15-2009 06:39 AM

Let me be the first to say glocks are fine guns. I know….I know.......I'm the forum's biggest glock/tupperware basher but I must explain my reason.

I don't like plastic handguns! Period. GUN = STEEL!

Will you convince me otherwise? You would have a better chance of changing my mind on the Bourbon I prefer and that ain't gonna happen!

I drank the glock kool-aid for years. My G22 never gave me a lick of trouble, but....one day I bought a Colt 1911. I haven't lost the smile on my face yet!

Saying that the glock is reliable isn't a lie, it's a fact. Just like my '81 3.8L V6 three speed manual El Camino. It started every time I ask it, the AM radio worked as well as any other AM radio I had listen to and it got me to and from work everyday! I replaced it with an Eldorado ETC (COLT) and I haven't lost the smile on my face yet!

I do know that I have the storied 40 S&W G22 but armed with that knowledge I can work-around the gun's faults, use and depend on it using that knowledge.

Here's an example of how I established my faith in my two handguns:

G22: I called glock customer service and ask them about the safety of my 16 year old gun. I explained it was in excellence shape, well maintained with approximately 10K rounds downrange. I asked the question, what can I run in my gun?

First thing they told me was NO reloads. Always use quality 'new' ammo. Next came the NO lead bullets. (Lead will deposit primarily in the first contact area of the polygonal rifling. Each wadcutter downrange increases the chamber pressures!) If I follow these rules I should be good to go for another 16 years.

Then I called Colt and asked this question. Any restrictions for my XSE government? Yes, Colt likes to tell their owners NOT to run recoil buffers in their guns. They are not needed and only screw up the action's geometry.

That's it, I asked? Yep was the response. So I asked, what about +P and +P+ ammo, any restrictions? Nope, shoot what's commercially available. (This does not include hand loaded hot loads.) We don't recommend a constant diet of these loads but it will not harm the 1911, it just accelerates the wear compared to standard 45 ACP so you will need to do more frequent maintenance, like spring replacement, but the gun will be fine.

Always call (preferably before you buy) your gun manufacture’s customer service department and ask questions. Their response will speak volumes as to the quality of your/their firearm!

dango 05-15-2009 07:20 PM

Well , no trouble here either , that's all I shoot , Glocks that is , I like them
:p

Megaton 05-17-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 106232)
Saying that the glock is reliable isn't a lie, it's a fact. Just like my '81 3.8L V6 three speed manual El Camino. It started every time I ask it, the AM radio worked as well as any other AM radio I had listen to and it got me to and from work everyday! I replaced it with an Eldorado ETC (COLT) and I haven't lost the smile on my face yet!

The el camino will get the job done, which is getting you from point a to point b, but surely there are nicer options out there that will accomplish the same task as the el camino but do it with more style and luxury.

I drive a twenty year old honda civic. 40+mpg with the AC cranking. Maybe thats why I like my glock so much... ;)

canebrake 05-17-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaton (Post 106637)
I drive a twenty year old honda civic. 40+mpg with the AC cranking. Maybe thats why I like my glock so much... ;)

That explains a lot bro!

M14sRock 05-17-2009 03:33 AM

Glock KB's are usually with the .40's.

The .40SW round does not have a re-enforced case head, and the G22/G23 has a space above the ramp that does not fully support the weak case head. Combine that with the ultra hot .40SW ammo so common these days and you have a potential problem.

Replace the bbl with one of the excellent aftermarket bbls that supports the head, and replace the recoil spring with one that is suitable for the .40SW and you will be fine.

If you stay with the G17, you don't have to worry about any of these issues. It is virtually indestructible.

There is a thread discussing 9mm pistols on the M14 Forum here, M-14 Firing Line Public Forum, that discusses several 9mm pistols in depth. My login there is the same name as here, and I have made a much more lucid case in that thread, so don't want to take the time to recreate it here again. Read it if you'd like.

I have put roughly a million rounds through Glocks since 1986, and have never had a single problem. I have worn out Browning Hi-Powers, and cracked slides on Colt Cov't models but still own and use both. I've watched Sig P226's come apart, and witnessed Beretta 92Fs reach the end of their service life. But I'm sort of a 1911 addict, and prefer Colts.

Glocks are world class pistols in every way. But the .40's have a couple of fixable shortcomings, and the .45's have also had issues. The 9mm's are unbeatable.

Bigcountry02 05-17-2009 04:02 AM

I have 2 Glock 19 models, one was purchased in 1994 and the other 2009. The biggest issue is not have the hand a little lower when firing, slight skin removal, happens after firing heavy American Steel revolver S&W 686-6, seven shot. Anyway, the biggest problem is the Glock's not getting enough firing time; been rationing with 9mm ammo.

Ram Rod 05-17-2009 02:02 PM

I've been a total Glock fan for over ten years now. Had one KB in my G17 with factory (Enforcer remanufactured 147gr HPs). I've had the 9mm, 40S&W, and the G21 and G30. This was the only problem I've ever had with any of them. If you shoot very much, statistics will catch up to you sooner or later. I keep shooting my Glocks with new factory ammo, and I aint scared. I've seen pics of KBs in other brand pistols. It can happen. Glocks a ticking time bomb? No....I figure you're a little bit smarter than to believe something like that anyway.

wolfshead 05-17-2009 06:08 PM

I know a lot of officers in law enforcement, some of them SWAT and they swear by the Glock. A lot of them have the 22 as a service handgun and a 36 as an off duty.

shannon 05-17-2009 09:58 PM

Glock 36 multiple failures to feed

I just bought a Glock 36,.. This is the most jamming gun I have ever purchased. I thought I was getting the best, most dependable compact .45 on the market. I was wrong, my Glock armorer only fired 2 mags(12) rounds through it, and found no problem. I fired about 200 rounds through it, and have had around 15 failure to feeds. Both reloads, and factory Winchester 230 grn ball ammo. I am sending this gun back to Glock, especially after all I have read on them after I purchased it. It also misfired 3 rounds. It is very accurate when it shoots, but it is not dependable.. I am a police officer, and depend on an off - duty firearm . I have been shooting and reloading for 30 years ..... :eek: Shannon