Glock & +P; +P+ ammo?? What does Glock say?? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock & +P; +P+ ammo?? What does Glock say??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8865 Times on 3839 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Kyboy- if you have not, read ALL the posts on this thread. +P rounds are marked to indicate they are +P- with the exception of .38 Super (ALL .38 Super is +P). However, there is an OFFICIAL +P load ONLY for .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, and .45 ACP.

p-headstamp.jpg

38-special-plus-p-ammo-comparision.jpg  

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 01-22-2014 at 06:03 PM.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 01-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #32

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

So my .45 rounds will have it engraved on the bottom if they are +p

Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #33
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1207 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyboy View Post
So my .45 rounds will have it engraved on the bottom if they are +p

That is correct

Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 412 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Can I use +P and +P+ ammunition?
Glock suggests using ammunition that is manufactured and meets SAAMI or industry specifications. If you are not sure the ammunition brand or type you choose is safe for use, call the ammunition manufacturer and ask if the product meets SAAMI guidelines before using it in you firearm. Some +P ammunition meets these guidelines, +P+ normally does not. This ammunition may generate a higher pressure over the standard loadings, and may shorten the component life of your firearm.
To me in the above quote they are saying use ammo that meets SAAMI guidelines , they then go on to say that +P+ normally does not. So the way I read it they are saying don't use +p+ ammo.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #35
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) sets all standards for firearms and ammunition manufacturing. This organization was formed to keep an Italian manufacturer, a German manufacturer and an American manufacturer from all having different definitions for a common term, i.e. "9mm." All manufacturers adhere to the organization standard for firearms and ammunition, making it uniform across manufacturers and continents.

A very few calibers have existed for so long that changes had to be made to the standard. 9mm Parabellum has existed for 112 years and .45 ACP FOR 110 years. Due to manufacturing techniques and metallurgy having improved, SAAMI needed to change the designation to reflect these changes without actually renaming the round. Instead of calling it the "New 9mm" or the "improved 9mm" the decision was made to add "+P" to any round generating the higher "P"ressure and to any new firearm manufactured to handle it. This solved the problem of new ammunition being sold while many firearms existed that were not proven with the new ammunition.

Today, all firearms currently manufactured are tested with +P ammunition to make sure it will not explode if +P ammunition is fired in it. However, modern manufacturers do make models that will wear out prematurely if a steady diet of +P is fed through it. These are generally marked on the gun or come with a warning card in the box not to use +P ammo. As was pointed out above, there are very few calibers that carry a SAAMI designation of +P as all other calibers have maintained their standards since inception.

The second plus sign added to the designation, +P+, is NOT A SAAMI Standard and is not officially recognized. The added plus sign is to warn the purchaser that the ammunition is over-pressured and violates SAAMI standards. There is no standard by which these rounds abide by, other than they are supposed to be under the 150% pressure standard SAAMI uses to test guns for safety from blowing up. One writer said using +P+ is equivalent to testing your firearm for defects by trying to destroy it! Most manufacturers recognize the liability of these rounds and do not release round they have not fully tested, but it is important for consumers to realize the dangers of using an out-of-specification round.

The upshot to all of this is that a magazine or two of +P+ ammo to make sure it hits point-of-aim and functions properly will most likely not permanently harm your firearm, but you should find standard pressure ammo to practice and plink with. The manufacturer of the firearm and your wrist will thank you.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 555

If you always shoot ammo that is at the high pressure end of SAAMI standards you will see accelerated wear. It's not like the gun is going to fly apart. It means that you might have to replace an ejector more often or you might notice some wear on the bolt face.

If you shoot +P+ ammo in a judicious manner you will not see any premature wear to your Glock.

Lets not blow all of this out of proportion!

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If you always shoot ammo that is at the high pressure end of SAAMI standards you will see accelerated wear. It's not like the gun is going to fly apart. It means that you might have to replace an ejector more often or you might notice some wear on the bolt face.

If you shoot +P+ ammo in a judicious manner you will not see any premature wear to your Glock.

Lets not blow all of this out of proportion!
I didn't think anyone is blowing it out of proportion. Most of us have used and do use +P+ ammo. However, it's important to understand exactly what it is and how it affects the firearm and the warranty.

I have personally witnessed six exploded firearms in my life - two were +P ammo, three were +P+, one was home reload. Three of these were guns not rated for +P ammo. While I'm sure there may be cases of a regular pressure catastrophic failure, I have not witnessed one.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 02-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I didn't think anyone is blowing it out of proportion. Most of us have used and do use +P+ ammo. However, it's important to understand exactly what it is and how it affects the firearm and the warranty.

I have personally witnessed six exploded firearms in my life - two were +P ammo, three were +P+, one was home reload. Three of these were guns not rated for +P ammo. While I'm sure there may be cases of a regular pressure catastrophic failure, I have not witnessed one.

I have never seen a firearm blow up. I have been handling firearms of all types of condition for close to 50 years, not to mention all the crazy stuff I have seen. Not once have I seen a firearm blow up.

You have seen six blow up. You might want to stay away from the people you are hanging out with.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 AM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I have never seen a firearm blow up. I have been handling firearms of all types of condition for close to 50 years, not to mention all the crazy stuff I have seen. Not once have I seen a firearm blow up.

You have seen six blow up. You might want to stay away from the people you are hanging out with.
i think the point that TekGreg was making, that not all guns are rated for +P ammo, and that you travel at your own risk in regards to +P+ ammo if you decide to use it. unless the maker of the gun says you can use +P ammo, IMO it might be better to steer clear. +P+ isn't loaded to any SAAMI specs. it's over the pressure limits deemed safe.

maybe you haven't been around as many guns as you say, if you have never seen one blown up. i have seen a few in my lifetime as well.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #40
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:

My experience with decimated weapons was as an FFL holder and business owner. Customers would bring them in and ask if they were repairable. Me and my shooting companions have never destroyed any weapons. My own choice of shooting companions excludes the people that like to fill a cartridge all the way to the top with powder, stuff a bullet onto it and see what happens!

I might also mention that signs of over-pressuring like bowed barrels and chambers, minor frame and slide cracks and even unseated primers in your ammunition can all be signs that the ammo is wearing out the gun. Examining parts when cleaning and ammo after it is fired can warn you before you see a worst-case scenario.

Axxe55 Likes This