Glock & +P; +P+ ammo?? What does Glock say??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock & +P; +P+ ammo?? What does Glock say??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Glock & +P; +P+ ammo?? What does Glock say??

So this came up in another thread, and it's come up several times, so I decided to call the US "Assembly" plant in Ga today and find out first hand.

I talked to Darrell(Darryl) who was in tech support and asked specifically if there was a problem removing ANY Glock pistol from the shipping box and feeding it either +P or +P+ ammo.

His response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel From Glock
There is not a problem with firing +P or +P+ FACTORY ammo out of a Glock weapon. We DO NOT recommend feeding any of our pistols a steady diet of this type of ammo due to the excessive pressures that CAN cause excessive wear on the weapon.
Next I asked if they recommend upgrading any components like a recoil spring for someone that might want to carry these rounds exclusively and practice with them at a rate of two range trips a month.

Quote:
We would recommend that the end user be aware of the extra pressure these rounds can exert on the weapon and would recommend them to upgrade their recoil spring at a rate of once every 2,000 rounds ( of +P or +P+ ) instead of our normal recommended number of 3,000-5,000 regular rounds
Then I asked him if there was damage to the weapon and a customer sent it back with full disclosure that they had indeed been shooting +P and/or +P+ ammo in it, would this void the warranty or otherwise affect the level of service they received. This answer was a little less definite.

Quote:
I would like to say that Glock would stand behind our product and our warranty 100% but in a case such as this there would have to be questions if the damage was done due to excessive pressure and if that excessive pressure was from factory loads or not.
"So, Glock may question if the end user was handloading and this caused the problem?"

Quote:
Yes sir, that is corrrect. But it should not affect the level of service or attention that the customer would receive from Glock.
So, there you have it folks. Right from Tech Support in Georgia. You can shoot the hot stuff through your Glocks, but make sure and change your recoil springs frequently and have your data books up to date with the ammo you used just in case.

+1 for Glock on this issue.

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, that's good to know they offer good customer service but I'm still not going to buy one. Sorry, JD.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Well, that's good to know they offer good customer service but I'm still not going to buy one. Sorry, JD.
Didn't say I was buying one either. I was merely putting a definitive answer to a question that came up a few times and no one had any rock solid evidence to support their claims.

Now we do. *shrug*

Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I've seen the approval hinted at, even pretty well figured it was safe after reading the Nato pressure limits and proof test. Glad to see it come straight from the source.
Thanks for going through the trouble of checking into it JD!
x2

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #5

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
+1 for Glock on this issue.

JD
What's that make their total

Seriously, edit in the polygonal rifling info about lead bullets (if accurate, I don't know) and sticky this post.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #6

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Glad to see you were able to find a for sure answer!

But then I wonder if Glock is like Kel-Tec in warranty. Don't ask don't tell sort of policy. Of course I don't have a Glock so I haven't had to use their warranty service. Perhaps others here can tell what kind of questions they ask in this regard...?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #7

Good to know, I bought 500 rounds of 9MM Nato from an ammo warehouse a couple of months ago. Is Nato +P or +P+?? I know its higher in pressure and velocity than standard 9MM. Thank you for the info!!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doose View Post
Good to know, I bought 500 rounds of 9MM Nato from an ammo warehouse a couple of months ago. Is Nato +P or +P+?? I know its higher in pressure and velocity than standard 9MM. Thank you for the info!!
+P+ is relatively similar to NATO as far as pressure levels go. With that said, its entirely possible for +P+ ammo to have less pressure (or FPS at least) than +P. The issue is that because there is no real regulation of +P+ there is no way for a firearms manufacturer to say they permit its usage.

As I pointed out in a thread that this one stemmed from, no reputable ammo maker (ie. Winchester, Remington) will likely make a +P+ round so powerful that it will "blow up" your pistola in your face. Its bad for business .

By the way, nice to see another C-Bus member. It was feeling pretty lonely in here

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #9

I have only once fired +P+ out of a handgun, it was German stuff, can't remember the name. I have fired the NATO stuff that I have and on a side by side comparison to normal pressure 9MM, there is a noticeable difference in the recoil and report. Nothing too bad though. After shooting some .45, NATO is not that bad.
Columbus is getting pounded by weather this winter!! I was just out at Lowes shopping for generators watching the freezing rain coming down, then sleet, then snow. No generator yet but soon.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doose View Post
I have only once fired +P+ out of a handgun, it was German stuff, can't remember the name. I have fired the NATO stuff that I have and on a side by side comparison to normal pressure 9MM, there is a noticeable difference in the recoil and report. Nothing too bad though. After shooting some .45, NATO is not that bad.
Columbus is getting pounded by weather this winter!! I was just out at Lowes shopping for generators watching the freezing rain coming down, then sleet, then snow. No generator yet but soon.
Its crazy isn't it? The only place in the world where you can have 90 degree weather today and 20 degree weather two days later! Looking at moving to Michigan some time this year. Lived there for a year at one time.

I always find myself spending more time on the survivalist portion of FTF when the weather gets like this.

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun