Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock Magazine: Gap between baseplate and bottom of grip (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-magazine-gap-between-baseplate-bottom-grip-32024/)

EnderWiggin 09-21-2010 03:04 AM

Glock Magazine: Gap between baseplate and bottom of grip

So I just bought a Glock 26 and have run into a small issue. There seems to be a gap between the baseplate of the magazine and the bottom of the grip. The magazine can be pushed up so that it is flush with no gap but as soon as you let go it goes back down.

This happens with an empty and full magazine, as well as with an old (non-ambidextrous) and new (ambidextrous) magazines.

I have made a video showing what I am talking about

What do you guys/gals think? Is there anything I can do about this? Should I call Glock? Are your Glocks like this as well?

FCross7 09-21-2010 05:30 PM

Does the weapon function fine? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't have any pistols with me to check, but I'm pretty sure most are this way.

-Fred

EnderWiggin 09-21-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 354793)
Does the weapon function fine? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't have any pistols with me to check, but I'm pretty sure most are this way.

-Fred

Yes it functions just fine. It just bothers me that the gap pinches me and it seems that other peoples Glocks (from images online) don't have such a big gap.

TheSadPanda 09-21-2010 06:04 PM

I wouldn't worry about it at all. My G23 has the same gap, especially when the magazine is full. If it starts failing to feed, then I would be worried.

utf59 09-21-2010 06:41 PM

Both of mine (G30 & G27) have it. And I sometimes come back from the range with blood blisters on my pinky. It isn't as noticeable on the larger-framed models because most people can get their entire hand on the grip, rather than having a pinky on the magazine.

EnderWiggin 09-23-2010 02:01 PM

Alright well I had my first issue today. As you can see in the picture, my G26 had a FTF (Failure to feed). This was using Winchester White box ammo and the factory mags that came with my G26 (they are the ambi models and the follower has a number 6 on it).

http://smugmug.com/photos/1019169809_Cn28H-L.jpg

I have shot hundreds of WWB ammo through my XDm and never had an issue. Could this FTF be due to the gap I originally mentioned in this thread? I plan on using this as my EDC and this FTF so early on is kidn of discouraging me. Any info/advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

FCross7 09-23-2010 02:26 PM

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like the round stovepiped. I could very well be wrong but I wouldn't think the mag not seating wall the way up would cause a stovepipe. That usually have to do with the lips on the mag being too tight(at least in my limited experience).

-Fred

EnderWiggin 09-23-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 356017)
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like the round stovepiped. I could very well be wrong but I wouldn't think the mag not seating wall the way up would cause a stovepipe. That usually have to do with the lips on the mag being too tight(at least in my limited experience).

-Fred

Nope that is not a stovepipe. The casing of the round that was fired ejected. This was a brand new round that was being chambered. The front tip of the round was shoved upwards.

EnderWiggin 09-23-2010 03:40 PM

Actually, maybe my understanding of what is considered an FTF and what is considered a stovepipe is incorrect. Can someone please clarify what is considered what?

Regardless of what it's called, what would cause the front of the round to be shoved upwards like that?

FCross7 09-23-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnderWiggin (Post 356036)
Nope that is not a stovepipe. The casing of the round that was fired ejected. This was a brand new round that was being chambered. The front tip of the round was shoved upwards.

My mistake. I was thinking that was a stovepipe. I had my terminology mixed up.

But from my experience, that type of FTF is caused by tight mag lips.

-Fred