Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock Lube Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock Lube Question

The Glock Armorer at the gun shop I purchased my Glock 17 Gen4 instructed me to NOT clean my gun until I had fired 200 rounds through it.

But the owners manual says to field strip it and clean and lube prior to first shots.

What gives?

Im leaning towards what the gun shop said. I took my Glock apart and it looked pretty lubed up to me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #2

Don't clean off the factory lube, it's there to aid W break in, so just shoot it a whole lot, then clean it when you have it all broke in nice.

ETA: all you need to do is check the chamber and barrel for excessive filth and obstructions and if it looks all clear you are GTG, then just get busy shooting, and stop worrying.

I don't even use lube when I CC my Glock, I just try to keep it dust, dirt and lint free.

(Hey whats a few dry rounds up to a few Mag.'s in an emergency gonna hurt W a Glock.)

But if I was going to take it for a range session then I would lube it for sure.

N.D.

"Carefully, and steadfastly, honor your word or be worthless" me

Last edited by N.D.; 04-16-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Omission

Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You don't want to scrub off that copper-colored stuff. But do clean it before you shoot it.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #4

When I first got my 19 I didnt clean it prior to shooting but I did give it a once over inspection to make sure it was good to go. Once I got a couple hundred rounds through it I field stripped/cleaned it and lubed it with some break free LP and it hasnt given me any problems.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #5

I opted for the No cleaning! 300 rounds no problems!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

While not Glock-specific, I decided to run my XD 9 dirty just to see if there was a perceptible difference. I cleaned it at the first FTE (Don't recall how many rounds of what ammo I'd shot, but it was a lot) and came to the conclusion that no material damage had had been done to the components, so that if there was a malfunction, it as either the ammo, the debris in the system from lack of cleaning, or me having a floppy wrist.
The machining tolerances in firearms are inconceivably tight. Think "Watchmaker" or 'Lensgrinder". Fouling, whether by metallic debris or combustion leftovers will definitely have a negative effect on your firearm. Keep it clean, and keep it lubed. Reduce the buildup and fight wear. Clean the crap out of the bore. While I recognize that break-in is a wonderful thing, preservation is more wonderfuller..... gooder....

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 05-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
lkd

Incorrectly lubricating a Glock will actually lead to problems. Generally speaking, a small amount of lubricant on the slide rails is all you need.

Here's something awesome to help you out: Become a Glock Sport Shooting Foundation member. Then shoot a GSSF match once a year, they have Glock reps there that will inspect your pistol for wear and tear and replace anything that needs fixing, including help with cleaning and lube. I'm not saying to avoid cleaning and lubing your gun, just that most people I find do it WAY too much with Glocks. Once a year has worked great for my Glocks, and I shoot them much more often than the average Glock owner.