Glock leg syndrome - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock leg syndrome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Thus kydex instead of cheap leather.
There's been alot of morons do it in kydex too. Especially those holsters that have a retention device that's actuated by the trigger finger. Not naming names... rhymes with Serpa

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #22
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1884 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 5661

Ok here is the deal.

Glock Leg is called Glock Leg because of the larger number of incidences occuring with Glocks.

The Glock is mentioned primarily because of the sheer numbers of Glocks, all having the "Trigger" Safety as their only safety. I expect other similar designs will join the Glock Leg Numbers, but Glocks still have the quantity and years to be the major contributor.

The Glock does not have any safety feature other than the leaf in the trigger, and the final cock resistance
Glock Leg occurs from a discharge, the discharge occurs from the trigger being depressed (as designed) while holstering the Glock.

The trigger can be depressed by 1) finger, 2) holster material or 3) other material.

1. Most of the respondants have mentioned the finger being in the firing position while holstering. This of course should be the easiest one to avoid.
  2. I believe there has been adequate discussion of various holster material. Damage, Wear, Thumb Strap or even an internal retention nub, can cause the trigger to be depressed while holstering. I think that modern holsters should address most of the concern.
  3. Other material could be a shirt, cord, or other related stuff, usually clothing. If you have a chunk of stuff in/near the trigger, you may not be aware of this when holstering. This one could happen if your not looking or feeling to ensure that you are clear.

Other Firearms with additional safetys are less likely to cause Glock Leg because there is usually another safety in play

The 1911 for example, has a grip safety as well as manual safety and just make it less likely for a discharge to occur if the trigger is depressed while holstering.

None of this should discourage you from selecting a Glock, but being aware of factors in Glock Leg can help reduce it's occurance. Remember, any Firearm can discharge when conditions are right. The Glock and other similar designs just make it easier.

I have a Glock. but I carry a 1911.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #23

Liked 243 Times on 180 Posts

What ? Guns are dangerous if not handled properly ! Why am I always the last to know ?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #24

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol
What ? Guns are dangerous if not handled properly ! Why am I always the last to know ?
Kentucky backwoods man. So far in the country ya get Saturday night live Sunday morning.

Hell where I am originally from we were so far out in the country we has to put panty hose on the chickens to keep them hoot owls from raping them.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 AM   #25

Liked 243 Times on 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater

Kentucky backwoods man. So far in the country ya get Saturday night live Sunday morning.

Hell where I am originally from we were so far out in the country we has to put panty hose on the chickens to keep them hoot owls from raping them.
My rooster plays dead to get a chance at that buzzard
Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #26

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol

My rooster plays dead to get a chance at that buzzard
Ha! I bet he does.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #27

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I know a guy who shot himself in the leg with a ruger black hawk. Yes, a single action revolver. He was playing John Wayne in his back yard, got the barrel snagged in his holster while feathering the hammer. He has been walking with a limp for the last 20 years.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #28

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock
Operator error. Keep your finger off the trigger.
GarryGlock is right if you read any articles on this subject you will find that most people who have shot themselves have done so reholstering their weapon with their finger on the trigger.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #29

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

magnumman A guy I knew about 40 years ago was druck and high and deside to show us his new 44mag black hawk. And before we could run for high ground he did the same as your guy did and run a 240gr sp thru his thigh muscle top right to bottom left not far under the skin doing a QD. Did a lot of what turmed out to be superficial muscle only damage . No nerve or bone damage. Sold the black hawk a weeks later after a few days in the hospital. too.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #30

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Then there was the recent new story about the guy who inspired the term Glock cock.

Yes, he did.