Glock (Haters) Dislikers - Page 18
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock (Haters) Dislikers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00

So what gen mags are swelling? I have a gen 3 G35 and haven't had any problems. Any info would be great, thanks.
When Glock's were first designed and put in production in '86 they came with plastic mags (non-metal lined). The magazines would not drop free after loading as the pressure from the rounds caused the mag to bulge. this was not unintentional, it was designed that way because its what the Austrian Army specified. In Europe many soliders/police are taught to rip mags out of the magwell; thought being you can find rounds on the battlefield but mags not so much. The halfmoon curve at the back of the magazine well is for the thumb and finger at the front to pull the mag out in fact. The US market no likee, so Glock came out with the no bulge steel-lined "drop free" mags. Visually you can easily tell them apart.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 02-07-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #172
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 915 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Drop free mags have changed a time or two over the years as well. The original drop free mags, hold one more round than stated in 10mm. A 1 gen drop free 10mm holds 16, and 18 with a Plus 2 end. I own two of them, and 3 of the newer type. Both drop free, empty as well as loaded.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #173

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude

When Glock's were first designed and put in production in '86 they came with plastic mags (non-metal lined). The magazines would not drop free after loading as the pressure from the rounds caused the mag to bulge. this was not unintentional, it was designed that way because its what the Austrian Army specified. In Europe many soliders/police are taught to rip mags out of the magwell; thought being you can find rounds on the battlefield but mags not so much. The halfmoon curve at the back of the magazine well is for the thumb and finger to pull the mag out in fact. The US market no likee, so Glock came out with the no bulge steel-lined "drop free" mags. Visually you can easily tell them apart.
Thank you so much for that info. I've never heard of the mag swell until Indefenseofliberty said something. Like I said I have a Gen 3 G35 and shot probably around 2,000 rounds or so and haven't had any problems.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #174

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Since someone brought up hi-point. Lets see the instructions on how to blow up a hi-point. (As determined by Iraqvetren8888)
Insert bolt into barrel with hammer. Use C clamp to hold bolt in.(if you do not use something to hold bolt in it will just blow the bolt out.) fire gun and kaboom.

How to blow up a glock. Fire lead, +p or +p+ ammo. Kaboom

Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #175

Hey Vector! You do know that there are haters/dislikers of every brand. You shouldn't worry about what other people say about the firearms you own. My EDC is my GLOCK 35 and I own Rugers, S&W, Mossbergs, and Remingtons. There are people on this forum that probably have a problem with each brand I own, but I haven't had one problem with any of them. Yes I will defend the firearms I own, but I will not be a fan boy of any of my firearms. Every brand out there has had problems. No one is "perfect"!!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #176

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Hey Vector! You do know that there are haters/dislikers of every brand. You shouldn't worry about what other people say about the firearms you own. My EDC is my GLOCK 35 and I own Rugers, S&W, Mossbergs, and Remingtons. There are people on this forum that probably have a problem with each brand I own, but I haven't had one problem with any of them. Yes I will defend the firearms I own, but I will not be a fan boy of any of my firearms. Every brand out there has had problems. No one is "perfect"!!
Is everyone ready to be shocked? My edc is (drum roll pls) a Glock 23 Gen 4.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #177
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I call BS. Rugers are perfect! HA!

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog

I call BS. Rugers are perfect! HA!
I think they are too!! We own 5 Rugers.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15
So what I'm getting out of this is that a glock is a good gun. As long as you. Don't mind an ugly gun. Don't reload. Don't use cast ammo. Don't use +p ammo. Don't use +p+ ammo. Don't mind the fact that if you do use the ammo listed you might blow up your gun. Replace the trigger. Don't mind swelling mags. Don't mind the grip angle. Don't mind not having a safety. Don't mind an over priced gun. Don't mind a crappy guide rod/recoil spring. (Unless you have gen4 even they are questionable).
Another question. Who says not to use +p and +p+ ammo? Just looking for info. After I read you guys saying not to use the ammo. I've checked my owners manual and googled it, but it seems people use this kind of ammo.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #180

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:

Another question. Who says not to use +p and +p+ ammo? Just looking for info. After I read you guys saying not to use the ammo. I've checked my owners manual and googled it, but it seems people use this kind of ammo.
---------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dillinger 2/1/11 http://www.firearmstalk.com/members/dillinger

So this came up in another thread, and it's come up several times, so I decided to call the US "Assembly" plant in Ga today and find out first hand.

I talked to Darrell(Darryl) who was in tech support and asked specifically if there was a problem removing ANY Glock pistol from the shipping box and feeding it either +P or +P+ ammo.

His response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel From Glock
There is not a problem with firing +P or +P+ FACTORY ammo out of a Glock weapon. We DO NOT recommend feeding any of our pistols a steady diet of this type of ammo due to the excessive pressures that CAN cause excessive wear on the weapon.
Next I asked if they recommend upgrading any components like a recoil spring for someone that might want to carry these rounds exclusively and practice with them at a rate of two range trips a month.

Quote:
We would recommend that the end user be aware of the extra pressure these rounds can exert on the weapon and would recommend them to upgrade their recoil spring at a rate of once every 2,000 rounds ( of +P or +P+ ) instead of our normal recommended number of 3,000-5,000 regular rounds
Then I asked him if there was damage to the weapon and a customer sent it back with full disclosure that they had indeed been shooting +P and/or +P+ ammo in it, would this void the warranty or otherwise affect the level of service they received. This answer was a little less definite.

Quote:
I would like to say that Glock would stand behind our product and our warranty 100% but in a case such as this there would have to be questions if the damage was done due to excessive pressure and if that excessive pressure was from factory loads or not.
"So, Glock may question if the end user was handloading and this caused the problem?"

Quote:
Yes sir, that is corrrect. But it should not affect the level of service or attention that the customer would receive from Glock.
So, there you have it folks. Right from Tech Support in Georgia. You can shoot the hot stuff through your Glocks, but make sure and change your recoil springs frequently and have your data books up to date with the ammo you used just in case.

+1 for Glock on this issue.

JD

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved