Glock GEN 4 finish problem?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock GEN 4 finish problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock GEN 4 finish problem?

Sorry it this has been posted before but I could not find it.

I found several gold spots on my glock after cleaning it in the ultrasonic cleaner a few times. The spots are around the number stamps and groves on the slide. I also can see a few on the rail area of the slide. The cleaner used is not supposed to do anything to the finish so I don't know what it is.

The question is have any of you come across this issue with your Glocks. Is it something like the finish was not put on correctly. Note it is not rust it is a gold color and will not rub off. Thanks for any info. Bigguns911.

glock-22-007.jpg   glock-22-006.jpg   glock-22-005.jpg  

Last edited by Bigguns911; 07-31-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spell check

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Can you try some clearer pictures? I can't tell anything by the ones you posted.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 07-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #3

I'll see what I can do to get better photos, sorry they suck.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #4

Default Better photo's

These are a little better

glock-22-010.jpg   glock-22-008.jpg  

Old 08-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #5

i havent had any problems with mine...thats odd

Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
lkd

You make me cringe so much. I'm assuming you're new to owning Glocks, so I'll give you some slack.

1) Ultrasonic cleaning and Glocks don't go together. It's known that some solutions (ammonia-based, if I recall) will destroy the bonded black coating off the tenifered steel. So, I'll repeat it: Ultrasonics and Glocks don't go together (God help you if you shoot a Glock and there is still residual fluid in the striker assembly)

2) It's a freakin Glock. Since it's a Gen4 model, I'm kinda guessing you haven't had it long. Unless you have a Glock that's had 20000 rounds down it and it's never been cleaned, I cannot see a reason why you would even consider an Ultrasonic, and even if I did, I wouldn't drop the slide in it - ever.

3) Properly cleaning a Glock is dead easy. Here's an article that shows you how to do all the cleaning you should ever need to do on a Glock (Cornered Cat - Gun Cleaning 102 (Glock)). Most times after I go to the range, I'll disassemble, brush out the barrel with Gunzilla or CLR, wipe the frame down with a clean cloth, and reassemble. No oiling, etc. It's a Glock.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:04 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bigguns, I will be renewing my Glock Armorer's ticket Thursday. I will ask the instructor about it.

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
lkd

Hey, Glasshartt, can you do me a favor and let me know if there's any _official_ guidance on that. I just know from my formal instructor training and talking to a couple of police armorers who also learned about it the hard way. Would be interesting to see if they have specific guidance.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

LKD, you are pretty much right on the money. Unless you are shootiing 1000's or rounds each month, the nylon brush, a tooth-brush type brush, and a good solvent are all you should need. There should be no reason to put it in the sonic cleaner.

Bigguns, your Gen4 may have not taken the finish properly. Contact Glock and explain the problem to them. As new as it is, they may offer to refinish it for free. I do not know if the use of the sonic cleaner may change their mind. I wouldn't lie, but I wouldn't mention that unless I was specifically asked. They may also say that is it cosmetic and won't affect the gun.

You haven't been letting Spitty handle it have you, you know what his touch does to metal?

Quote:
Quote: