Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock GEN 4 finish problem? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-gen-4-finish-problem-29898/)

Bigguns911 07-31-2010 10:02 PM

Glock GEN 4 finish problem?

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry it this has been posted before but I could not find it.

I found several gold spots on my glock after cleaning it in the ultrasonic cleaner a few times. The spots are around the number stamps and groves on the slide. I also can see a few on the rail area of the slide. The cleaner used is not supposed to do anything to the finish so I don't know what it is.

The question is have any of you come across this issue with your Glocks. Is it something like the finish was not put on correctly. Note it is not rust it is a gold color and will not rub off. Thanks for any info. Bigguns911.

Glasshartt 07-31-2010 10:08 PM

Can you try some clearer pictures? I can't tell anything by the ones you posted.

Bigguns911 07-31-2010 10:12 PM

I'll see what I can do to get better photos, sorry they suck. :(

Bigguns911 07-31-2010 10:22 PM

Better photo's

2 Attachment(s)
These are a little better :D

Glock2369lover 08-03-2010 11:35 AM

i havent had any problems with mine...thats odd

lkd 08-03-2010 12:41 PM

You make me cringe so much. I'm assuming you're new to owning Glocks, so I'll give you some slack.

1) Ultrasonic cleaning and Glocks don't go together. It's known that some solutions (ammonia-based, if I recall) will destroy the bonded black coating off the tenifered steel. So, I'll repeat it: Ultrasonics and Glocks don't go together (God help you if you shoot a Glock and there is still residual fluid in the striker assembly)

2) It's a freakin Glock. Since it's a Gen4 model, I'm kinda guessing you haven't had it long. Unless you have a Glock that's had 20000 rounds down it and it's never been cleaned, I cannot see a reason why you would even consider an Ultrasonic, and even if I did, I wouldn't drop the slide in it - ever.

3) Properly cleaning a Glock is dead easy. Here's an article that shows you how to do all the cleaning you should ever need to do on a Glock (Cornered Cat - Gun Cleaning 102 (Glock)). Most times after I go to the range, I'll disassemble, brush out the barrel with Gunzilla or CLR, wipe the frame down with a clean cloth, and reassemble. No oiling, etc. It's a Glock.

Glasshartt 08-04-2010 03:04 AM

Bigguns, I will be renewing my Glock Armorer's ticket Thursday. I will ask the instructor about it.

lkd 08-04-2010 03:24 AM

Hey, Glasshartt, can you do me a favor and let me know if there's any _official_ guidance on that. I just know from my formal instructor training and talking to a couple of police armorers who also learned about it the hard way. Would be interesting to see if they have specific guidance.

Glasshartt 08-06-2010 10:22 PM

LKD, you are pretty much right on the money. Unless you are shootiing 1000's or rounds each month, the nylon brush, a tooth-brush type brush, and a good solvent are all you should need. There should be no reason to put it in the sonic cleaner.

Bigguns, your Gen4 may have not taken the finish properly. Contact Glock and explain the problem to them. As new as it is, they may offer to refinish it for free. I do not know if the use of the sonic cleaner may change their mind. I wouldn't lie, but I wouldn't mention that unless I was specifically asked. They may also say that is it cosmetic and won't affect the gun.

You haven't been letting Spitty handle it have you, you know what his touch does to metal?