Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > The Glock is either hated or loved. Why no middle ground?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm sure you also have to watch to make sure some idiot dosn't bring in their own ammo and then ask to see a gun from the case... I saw a vid from a pawn shop where a guy did that with a 12 gauge, then proceeded to blow his own head off...

I am whatever you say I am...

Old 08-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #22

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
There are two designs I'm a huge fan of. The 1911, and the Glock.

Converted from the first, to the second, back in the '80's, kicking and screaming.

I prefer the 9's. They live up to the rep for durability that the Glock earned early on. The .40's were rushed into production from modified 9's and are under sprung (fixed in the 4th Gen .40's). I prefer the older ones to the new ones.

I have been a firearms instructor for 25 years or so and the Glock has never failed in one of my classes. Ever. I have 7 or 8 that I loan to students, or let people try in class and have never had one fail.

My personal 17 is a G2 that has been hammered, abused, neglected and loaned out to too many students to count and has never hiccupped with any ammo.

I have reloaded for my Glocks from day one with no issues. I have put thousands of rounds of lead bullets through them with no issue (including .40's).

I have driven over them with trucks, with no issue.

I have never broken so much as a trigger return spring on one.

I can detail strip a Glock in seconds, and replace any part part.

I continue to explain that the trigger safety (Drop safety) on the Glocks is NOT the only safety, but the same people continue to say it is. They are wrong, and refuse to own up to it.

The only serious use pistols I use anymore are 1911's and Glocks. The Glocks are far more forgiving than the 1911's, far more reliable, and impervious to the elements.

I have a student who shoots an XD 9mm like a fiend. I enjoy shooting it, too, but not enough to convert. XD is a great pistol.

The Glock also has the best magazine ever designed for any pistol. Since the magazine is the life blood of any weapon system, that counts for a lot with me.

The ability to detail strip and repair your firearm of choice is one major requirement for me. Someday there may come a time when warranty repair centers and gunsmiths are non-existent. When that day arrives, you had better be able to keep your guns running or you will be in trouble. Glock parts require no fitting of any kind. They are "drop in and go". I keep spare parts for the Glock inside the hollow cavity behind the magwell. The only parts I've seen break are extractors, trigger return springs, trigger pin, and one firing pin. Those spare parts fit inside the grip and are capped off with a plug. I'm confident that any one of my Glocks can be kept running for eternity with those spares on hand.

Glocks are the best in that regard. 1911's are runner up.

None of my Glocks are stock, though. They are all fitted to my hand, with any sharp edges removed, and any places that "rub" being removed too. Factory parts remain, though.

But all of my pistols have lots of work done. Anything designed for the "general public" needs to be tailored a bit.

I don't mind when people hate Glocks because Gaston has flaws, or they don't like the feel, etc. But lying about them is dishonest.
He's out!!!

Imagine that......someone who likes BOTH platforms, the Glock pistol and the 1911!

My friend, you've always spoken your mind and you know of what you speak. Very well said.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #23

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
He's out!!!

Imagine that......someone who likes BOTH platforms, the Glock pistol and the 1911!

My friend, you've always spoken your mind and you know of what you speak. Very well said.
Thanks, Lon.

When I pick up a 1911 the muscle memory has it pointing perfectly.

Then, when I pick up a Glock the same thing happens.

Go figure.

I guess if you do anything a few zillion times it sticks.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #24

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Well, both Glocks and the 1911 are very prolific. That many weapons in that many hands is going to cause a rub between the fans. I've owned both and they both have their place. THe idea that I look at a weapon as more than a tool but also a work of art I lean to the 1911. It's form and function are as close to perfection as I've seen. Glocks are easy to work on true. But I don't see a 1911 as being all that hard. Hell, the old GI models only needed a 45ACP case to get the grip panels off and as the weapon got more broke down there was another part in the weapon that looked to be made for that purpose. I personal think that anyone that owns any weapon should at the least have a decent working knowledge of how it works. Why are women so often taken advantage of when they bring a car in for repair? Because they have no idea how it works in many cases. What makes any one think that it's different in the gunsmith trade? Even if you don't have the means to fix it you should know what is wrong. Or you might end up coming home with a weapon with new muffler barrings in it.

Shoot what you want is what I say. It doesn't matter to me at all. When it's my money on the counter I'll get what I want. But I'll also not blame the tool if it doesn't work well. I bought it so I should get the grief.

To the OP...Don't worry about what your friends or anyone says. If they don't liek your Gock tell them you'll be more than happy to let them buy you another more expensive wiz bang laser guided zombie ninja killer. If you like the weapon then it's just fine. It's true that Glocks have gone boom but look at the amount of pistols out in the wild and LEO hands in this country. I have no idea how many that is but it's a LOT! Yes there is an unsupported chamber but I've run some pretty hot loads (and reloads) in a G19 I had back when and it was fine. They have that polygonal refiling and that can cause issues if you try to use lead slugs and you really should not use reloads in them but standard manufactured ammo will give you no problems. You can always buy a drop in barrel if it bothers you that much. It's as easy to change as your underwear Maybe a lighter striker spring and you have a pretty easy trigger then too. Bottom line is your weapon is your weapon.
This is my Glock!
There are many like it but this one is mine!
My Glock is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it
..you know the rest...

Enjoy your Glock.Learn to shoot it as well as you can. Have fun and stay safe

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
What changed your mind?
After I went to my local gun shop again, held both guns again and really beaded them and practiced drawing. Both felt pretty damn good, but the Glock felt rock solid, it felt like I could drop it on the floor, pick up it up and fire it again.

At first I criticized the Grip on the Glock, but finally after trying out the Glock 19, I fell in love. It was perfect. It seems my hand likes the compact glocks more than the full-size models.

....And the Glock was 80.00 cheaper than the M&P

Firing it tomorrow for the first time, can't wait to break her in. Gonna spit 150 rounds, I'll post a range report right after.

Last edited by indyfan; 08-22-2010 at 12:23 AM.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #26

dang... i really must be one of the weird guys too...

i have BOTH....

an old norinco G.I. .45ACP

and a G17L ? [i think'?'] its a six incher barrel,

they both work. very very well.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #27

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Two items;

First, I hope you enjoy your glock as much as I did when I bought it new.........in 1991. Gen 1 G22, nuff said.

Second, I hope you progress to true enlightenment, as I have, with respect to gun ownership.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-18-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #28

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post

Just because I been shooting Glocks for a long time, don't mean I have to snub other guns almost as good.
G37 steps up with some wisdom.....

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #29

I love the reasons given for bashing the Glock. I don't expect you to like it. I just expect you to have good reasons. Most of these come down to personal preference (in other words... they don't matter to anyone but yourself).

-I don't like how it feels. Its uncomfortable.
Cool, some people don't have to have wood, steel, alloy, g-10, satin, baby powder, et cetera on their grips to use a firearm.

-I don't like how it looks.
Neat, some people don't need their firearm to win the Miss America pageant. (However I, personally, like the raw simplicity and efficiency of the Glock's appearance.)

-I can't shoot them well.
Awesome, some people (many people actually) can... weird... sounds like a training issue (personal problem).

-I don't think trigger safeties are "safe."
I don't think people who keep their fingers on the trigger when they don't want to fire their weapon are safe (training issue, personal problem).

-I don't like Gaston Glock.
Okay, fair enough. Don't like HIM then... the guns didn't do anything to you.

-One person said that Glocks are, "built all wrong."
A Glock is lighter than almost every competitor.
A Glock is smaller than almost every competitor.
A Glock carries more rounds than almost every competitor.
A Glock is more durable than almost every competitor.
A Glock is more reliable than many competitors. (Most guns are reliable today... they just tend to require new parts long before the Glock does... or they cost way more)
I'm sure I can go on. But, it seems like it is built pretty well to me.

-One person said that a Glock is less safe than a 1911 cocked and unlocked.
Considering that at that point it would take an equal amount of effort to fire either pistol, that is a retarded statement. If you are referring to the fact that the 1911 has a beavertail safety, then realize that a Glock has a trigger safety, firing pin block, and a drop safety.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #30

Even though I want a HP C9, I'd happily at least try out a glock. I try not to have anything against any weapon I have not tried myself (at this time that is sadly very few) and even if i did have some strange issue, I'd want to do some research to see if the problem I experienced was rare or common before deciding if the weapon in question was undesirable or not to me.

I am whatever you say I am...