Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > The Glock is either hated or loved. Why no middle ground?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Always suspected you were a closet fanboy Lon...
uhh...not QUITE a fanboy, but I guess I could say I was at one time. Probably before that term was invented!

Old 08-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I used to have a Glock 19. I still think it's a very good pistol. My buddy now owns it and he loves it. I don't know if he's ever even cleaned it and it's shot thousands of rounds.

Glocks have their place. I prefer steel or alloy.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan
I'm most likely gonna go with the M&P 40 since it feels good in my chubby hands. (and the local police in my city issue the MP40)
What changed your mind?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5120 Times on 2666 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post

Sorry, this was more of a rant. Tired of negative criticism on the glocks.

Anyone else gotta deal with this?
i dont hate em. but i think some of the criticism about the quality is justified. they arent the best quality firearms for the price. cheap i think is an accurate description.

as for why i dont like em:

1. the ergonomics are terrible.
2. less safe than carrying a 1911 cocked with the safety off.
3. safety is located on the trigger
4. they dont really point naturally for me. they kinda got that wal-mart super-soaker feel.

hate glocks no. they just dont stack up as a good pistol for me. i think there are a lot of people that dont know why they dont like something other than what they read about on the interweb.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

There are two designs I'm a huge fan of. The 1911, and the Glock.

Converted from the first, to the second, back in the '80's, kicking and screaming.

I prefer the 9's. They live up to the rep for durability that the Glock earned early on. The .40's were rushed into production from modified 9's and are under sprung (fixed in the 4th Gen .40's). I prefer the older ones to the new ones.

I have been a firearms instructor for 25 years or so and the Glock has never failed in one of my classes. Ever. I have 7 or 8 that I loan to students, or let people try in class and have never had one fail.

My personal 17 is a G2 that has been hammered, abused, neglected and loaned out to too many students to count and has never hiccupped with any ammo.

I have reloaded for my Glocks from day one with no issues. I have put thousands of rounds of lead bullets through them with no issue (including .40's).

I have driven over them with trucks, with no issue.

I have never broken so much as a trigger return spring on one.

I can detail strip a Glock in seconds, and replace any part part.

I continue to explain that the trigger safety (Drop safety) on the Glocks is NOT the only safety, but the same people continue to say it is. They are wrong, and refuse to own up to it.

The only serious use pistols I use anymore are 1911's and Glocks. The Glocks are far more forgiving than the 1911's, far more reliable, and impervious to the elements.

I have a student who shoots an XD 9mm like a fiend. I enjoy shooting it, too, but not enough to convert. XD is a great pistol.

The Glock also has the best magazine ever designed for any pistol. Since the magazine is the life blood of any weapon system, that counts for a lot with me.

The ability to detail strip and repair your firearm of choice is one major requirement for me. Someday there may come a time when warranty repair centers and gunsmiths are non-existent. When that day arrives, you had better be able to keep your guns running or you will be in trouble. Glock parts require no fitting of any kind. They are "drop in and go". I keep spare parts for the Glock inside the hollow cavity behind the magwell. The only parts I've seen break are extractors, trigger return springs, trigger pin, and one firing pin. Those spare parts fit inside the grip and are capped off with a plug. I'm confident that any one of my Glocks can be kept running for eternity with those spares on hand.

Glocks are the best in that regard. 1911's are runner up.

None of my Glocks are stock, though. They are all fitted to my hand, with any sharp edges removed, and any places that "rub" being removed too. Factory parts remain, though.

But all of my pistols have lots of work done. Anything designed for the "general public" needs to be tailored a bit.

I don't mind when people hate Glocks because Gaston has flaws, or they don't like the feel, etc. But lying about them is dishonest.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
JSStryker Likes This 
Old 08-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #16

Hell, as much as those damn 1911's cost, they should feel great in your hand;as well as everything else. Dont get me wrong, maybe one day i will own a 1911 but, for the price of a brand new Glock, please show me a gun thats better As far as the safety goes, if your scared that the damn thing will go off then, maybe you shouldnt be carrying. I watched a vid on youtube just yesterday titled "glock trigger torture test". This guy took a brand new glock and, tied it to the back of his truck, and drove it through the dirt and it never went off! I dont care what other people say about glock, im sold on them. Now if i had $800-1,300 to blow then yes i would look at H&K,Sigs,or 1911's but for $500 bucks brand new im inpressed. If there was a gun that maybe i consider other than glock, Springfield probably would be it

Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #17

Personally, I would prefer a HP C9 over a glock, but that's more because I have my 995TS already and it will just be more fitting to have a "matched set" as it were.

I am whatever you say I am...

Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFreedom View Post
I own a Hi Point 995 and I get a lot of people saying it's a crap gun because it isn't expensive or because it's made by Hi Point. Don't let them rattle your cage, just enjoy your weapon and don't let the "haters" bring you down.
SWEET, Hi Point & Glock seem to get along just fine!
To the OP, I will hafta disagree on the love it or hate it deal, as a gun dealer I try not to push Glock onto folks who might run into trouble with one, namely those funny folks who like to pick up a gun with their finger on the trigger. Just seems like poor customer service to sell a Glock to a person with that particular bad habit, Heh Heh...

Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #19

Yea... I get nervous when I see people do that. He11, I get nervous in front of gun showcases just because they conveniantly point them all out towards the customer...

There are people I will not even take to the range because they like to have their finger on the trigger all the time, they can't figure out what the safety is or how to turn it on, and they never check the weapon to see if it is loaded before giving it to someone or picking it up.
So many just don't understand that with any firearm, they are only as safe when you follow some simple rules and pay attention.

I am whatever you say I am...

Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You are so right DarkFreedom, although now that I sell guns I am less concerned with my own guns which I know were empty at the time I put the tie on, than I am about other folks who wave their guns...