The Glock is either hated or loved. Why no middle ground? - Page 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

The Glock is either hated or loved. Why no middle ground?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
you guys must forget the big Glocks have the Ghay campaign.
Glocks make me happy. Is that the same thing?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGaryM View Post
I might sound bias because I am a self admitted very big Glock hater. I find it disgusting that any law enforcement agency in America would carry anything but an American made weapon. That being said, I base my dislike for Glock on my personal experience with Glock. Nothing more nothing less.

When I wanted a striker fire .40 subcompact I rented a Glock, XD and M&P and shot them all side by side. Two magazines in the Glock had 4 jams and one fail to eject. I shot 9mm Glock that belonged to a buddy who is a local cop. He loves it and has over 10,000 rounds through it. I found it very strange to hold and inaccurate. It also seemed to kick more than my XD 9mm, XDm 9mm and Millennium 9mm. I was at a range when on vacation. I decided to give Glock one more chance and rented a .45 so I could say I tried 3 different calibers. It jammed and was very inaccurate. That is why I dislike Glock.

Now for the part that is based on my theory and guess but it makes a lot of sense to me. A Glock has a handle that is shapped different than just about every other auto. Therefore you would hold a Glock a little different than another gun. I think people who are used to holding and shooting another gun will hold a Glock wrong and shoot it poorly therefore they dislike it. People who are used to the way you hold a Glock shoot it well and hold other guns the same way as a Glock and shoot them poorly. Therefore they like Glock because they shoot them well.

I'm sure I could practice a lot and get used to a Glock but I see no reason to adjust my shooting style just to fit a Glock when there are hundreds of great guns out there that work just fine.
I already got someone mad at me for not believing their experience with Glock pistols. So I won't worry about doing that with you.

A Glock WILL kick more than just about every other gun on the market. Why? Because it is lighter than just about every gun on the market. One of the reasons why 1911s are so awesome for range shooting is because they are bricks. They have little recoil despite firing a .45 ACP round because they normally weigh around 40oz unless you aren't a purist then you can find lighter ones. Being light is a boon for carrying every day. It is more comfortable. But if you can pack the weight and not care... cool. Most people prefer a lighter/smaller pistol for carrying though.

In my limited experience I have found most modern pistols to be pretty accurate. 90% of the reason for not being accurate with a particular weapon is you not the weapon itself (not saying anyone is a bad shot... just saying that you have to practice with THAT specific weapon before you can be expected to shoot it accurately).

Now, yes, most pistols have a 1911 grip angle or some imitation of that. Glock departs from that and it throws some people off. Now, the way I was taught to shoot a pistol allows me to shoot a 1911 (at the range... I don't own a 1911 yet), my Glock 22, my FNP-45, and my Colt Python equally well.

I hold all of those pistols the same way (for the python I just tuck my thumb in more on my support hand to keep it out of the way of the cylinder gap). But I detect no difference in accuracy with any of those weapons (I'm least accurate with the Python because I am way too trigger shy with it still). Perhaps I'm missing out on some high level technique that must change depending if you are using a revolver, 1911 grip, or Glock grip. But, I don't see how the Glock was inaccurate for you unless it was you that was causing that problem.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #113

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Ok, Ok..... I get it I suck.

Now that I know the criteria for "fanboyness" is owning more than 6 of any one platform.

Bummer. Sucking sucks.
If it makes you feel any better, you suck at sucking. . . and you're a sensitive sucker.

I guess I'm a fanboy of many different platforms as well, so I suck too.

I think I'll go fondle my sucky fanboy-ish collection of American made steel.

By the way how Ghey is the spelling of the word Ghey?

It's Damn near as Ghey as the Gheyness of sucky fanboyishness.

I feel Ghey for even spelling Ghey, Ghey. . .

Last edited by diggsbakes; 09-01-2010 at 02:15 AM.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:17 AM   #114

Super close tolerances means CLEAN, CLEAN, and more CLEAN! That is why AK47's shoot dirty, and are most always reliable. Of course, they are not super accurate, but they hit man size targets pretty darn good. More and more civilian operators and contractors are trading in their well made M-16's for AK's. Saw it with my own eyes over there.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #115

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Are AKs Ghey now too?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #116

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGaryM View Post
I find it disgusting that any law enforcement agency in America would carry anything but an American made weapon.
Uh oh, we got an "I only buy American" firearm enthusiast

I drive a Chevy, I love Freedom Fries and I only buy things Made in the USA!

Some foreign brand handguns are made here in the USA in US factories. Beretta being one of them, right?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #117

Glocks are inexpensive not cheap. They have high value (you get a lot for a four or five hundred dollar gun... often competing with more expensive weapons... and winning).

Now I agree wholeheartedly about giving our tax dollars almost directly to other countries. That is really stupid. I don't understand how we have so much technology and advanced weaponry... yet we can't even design/manufacture basic firearms for our military. It is no wonder our economy is suffering. What are we exporting? /rant

But back to the topic...

Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post
We just lack great designers of firearms. It is a crying shame our last great weapons designer was JMB. Not a single autoloading pistol designed has turned out a pistol worth a darn in this country since JMB. We can and do design the best projectiles for ammunition in the world, but not a single person can design a durable reliable pistol? If S&W could stop the rusting stainless M&P problem and the trigger on the M&P we would have a winner. Chances are S&W will give up on it before that happens though. They never stick with a auto design for too long before they give up and start all over again.

Domestic designers leave alot to be desired and they refuse to step up to the plate. Until they crank out a self loading pistol worth a darn and stop cloning the greatest gun our country ever cranked out and got original instead of repacking history. Well then our money will go to the next best (or first best thing) and our money will be shipped overseas so our civil servants can carry a reliable durable gun. Colt, S&W, Ruger all turn out good guns, but sometimes good is not enough for guns that need to work day in and day out.......

The day an American company can turn out a pistol better than Glock can and it has atleast 20 solid years of proven performance, then maybe I might change my mind..
I would have to say that the Ruger SR9 is a great alternative to the Glock.

I think FNX-9s are great too. My FNP-45 has too big of a grip for my hands though. I can't even pull the trigger in double action without changing my grip. I think the 9s have a smaller grip though.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #119

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

When the US trials for a new service pistol took place, the American gun companies did not do well in the tests. I actually like the 3rd Gen S&W pistols a lot, but the S&W entries failed quickly.

The criteria for the trials were announced and Sig won the testing. Beretta came in second place, but agreed to make the M9 here, and for about $300 less per pistol. The M9 used to cost $134, and was designed to be disposable. Uncle Sugar did not want 50+ year old pistols being rebuilt and issued over and over. The M9 was designed to be scrapped after a few thousand rds.

I would love to see more American made pistols in widespread use. The M&P shows promise, as does the FNP. But lets see how they do in the long run.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCordite View Post
Super close tolerances means CLEAN, CLEAN, and more CLEAN! That is why AK47's shoot dirty, and are most always reliable. Of course, they are not super accurate, but they hit man size targets pretty darn good. More and more civilian operators and contractors are trading in their well made M-16's for AK's. Saw it with my own eyes over there.
Cool. That is fine. I mean I kinda lean towards the AK party in that discussion but only because it runs almost no matter what. But I really don't have a thing for assault rifles at all. I don't like the round that either rifle uses. I would rather just have a battle rifle like an M14 (M1A w/e... if only I had the money for a full auto M14).

I still have nightmares from the crappy M16 I had to fire in basic. It jammed every 2 or three rounds. It was the most irritating thing ever. But that is due to that rifle being old and poorly maintained.