The Glock is either hated or loved. Why no middle ground?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > The Glock is either hated or loved. Why no middle ground?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default The Glock is either hated or loved. Why no middle ground?

I'm a new Glock owner and I'm beginning to notice that Glock is either hated or loved. There is no in between.

Ever since I purchased a Glock 19, my friends have been giving so much guff about owning one.

"Cheaply made."

"It'll explode."

"It'll jam if you limp wrist"

"Law Enforcement only carry it because its so cheap"

What's the deal with all the hate towards the Glock pistols? It seems like Glock is a huge target for criticism.

Glock is issued in 43 different countries and thousands of LE agencies in the USA. I don't know squat about Glock handguns but I'm pretty sure thats gotta mean something about quality right?

Sorry, this was more of a rant. Tired of negative criticism on the glocks.

Anyone else gotta deal with this?

Last edited by canebrake; 09-06-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't hate Glocks, I shot one once. It worked fine, was pretty accurate, I just didn't care for the way it felt in my hand. I don't find them particularly attractive, but neither is my .338. It's built to do what it does and it does it well. Lots of people wouldn't care to own it. That's cool, they won't.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #3

Default I get the same thing

I own a Hi Point 995 and I get a lot of people saying it's a crap gun because it isn't expensive or because it's made by Hi Point. Don't let them rattle your cage, just enjoy your weapon and don't let the "haters" bring you down.

I am whatever you say I am...

Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2800 Times on 1619 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

I've had Glocks, but they were not comfortable for me to shoot. In poly pistols, I like the Sigma better.
Does that make the Sigma better overall? For me, yes. But the Glocks have their place.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't like Glocks because I don't like the way they feel in my hands and I can't shoot them for crap. I also don't like the idea that the only safety is on the trigger, I don't see any added security there. I also refuse to buy a firearm from a man who doesn't think the general public should be allowed to own them.

Having said that, the weapon has proven to function, they can be accurate and reliable. If YOU like the weapon, YOU can shoot with it and YOU feel comfortable with it then shoot it, carry it and defend yourself with it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Glocks either work for you or they don't. For me, the grip angle and the finger grooves put them in the don't category. What causes the manifestation of "hate" is the Glock fanboy's attitudes towards anyone that doesn't worship at Gaston's altar. The OP's post contains a statement that rankles folks:

Quote:
Glock is issued in 43 different countries and thousands of LE agencies in the USA. I don't know squat about Glock handguns but I'm pretty sure thats gotta mean something about quality right?
The reason it's in wide use is the fact that Glock sells them CHEAP to police & governments. They do meet the quality and performance standards (as would nearly all pistols) but they win these bids on price. Government purchasing decisions are based on what product meets the specs at the cheapest per unit price - period.

The really funny part happens when you do some research into the Glock company - they ONLY wanted to sell their guns to governments & police. Gaston Glock really doesn't believe private citizens even deserve to be armed...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-21-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am in the DON'T LIKE colum myself.

Fanboys SUCK

Glocks are built all wrong. They to me are not a natural pointing pistol like say a oh 1911.

I also will not own a gun I can't reload for. Because of the unsupported chamber you can't reload for the glock without buying a different barrel with a supported chamber.

I only buy 22lr ammo and SD Ammo. I practice with my handloads.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the Glock, when it was first introduced, filled a niche for reliable, light, high-capacity, affordable pistols that were easy to maintain, even though the ergonomics really were not very good. Then, because so many LEOs were carrying them, the "cool" factor soared. They were seen a lot on TV and in the movies.

Now, there are better pistols built on the same premise. The Springfield XD is very similar, but superior in many ways, including grip angle and the safety factor (although it takes real INTENT to fire a Glock by accident).

I've had a Glock for many years and still have it.....but I have an XD, too, and prefer it. Not to knock your Glock at all. When I had my first one in the early 90's, it was the shizzle! And still is to many people.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I've had a Glock for many years and still have it...
Always suspected you were a closet fanboy Lon...

Old 08-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #10

I have a Glock 19 and love it. It is one of the most reliable pistols out there. I also have a Kimber 1911. The Glock is definalty more reliable and very close in accuracy. The Glock also does not rust (Kimber does). I would say the Glock is one of the best pistols on the market for its price range. I never really cared for the XD. I went to a range and tested all the combat pistols in that price range, the XD is the only one that Jammed (multiple times). I will say I love my 1911 and am very happy with it. It has things that the Glock could never replace. But for what it is, the Glock is a really great pistol. You have a fine weapon.

Nut up or Shut up!