Glock discharge - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Glock discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 263 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 373

I mean I saw a couple calls for personal responsibility but I didnt see any " pounce " or "rude " except for the guy that questioned whether it happened ( and he did apologize. This appears to be a cascade of failures on the gun and OPs part.

If you have 20 pistols that must be cleaned . Clear each one methodically before you attempt to work on them . Guns are much like food. If you cook chicken then you wash your hands before you goto cook beef . Why ? Because you could transfer botulism to the beef . It's called cross contamination. Same with cleaning a firearm , if you have gun oil on your hands don't attempt to clear a weapon with a round in battery . Wash your hands and make sure they are free of oil.

If you put a chevy in gear and pull the emergency brake and go around to the engine attempting to remove the throttle cable and the parking brake fails and you get run over are you going to blame the car and never buy a chevy again?

ANY weapon can fail. NOTHING mechanical is infallible. Always treat a firearm as if it's loaded. That means don't put your hand where it can have a chunk blown out of it .

I'm glad OP is safe. I don't think anyone itt doesn't feel bad for the guy and and doesn't wish him a speedy recovery .
Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #52

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
No, but it's easier and more comfortable to use a lighter trigger.
I see no reason for that ghastly long and heavy pull other than trying to make it harder to hit a target. But I am not a Glock guy and am used to a SA trigger that breaks well before 5.5#

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the Glock trigger, either, but it's a combat weapon and not a target pistol.
Shooters have been doing trigger work as long as there have been guns. I'm not talking just target guns...All guns.
Are every one of these people just been plain not right and you are there sage wisdom put forth to put them all in place?? Some peopel just don't like that crappy trigger in their ugly gun. It's still going to have that long almost DA pull. So it breaks under 5.5# It doesn't make the gun itself any more unsafe.

In my Glock days I had a 3# pull on two different pistols. Not once did it not work properly. I did have issues with that tinker toy guide rod in a 19 but I replaced it with a steel one and it was great! Still didn't like the gun that much though and sold it to help me into a Sig Sauer Parts fail no matter if they have the Gaston seal of approval or not.

What I want to know is how many of these triger set ups have been sold and how many failed? Compare that to the OEM setups and see if there is a drop in quality. but I have not found such data so I have no reason to believe the parts where not good.

Feels funny defending made by Glock or their aftermarket parts makers. But without proof there is no way to say the part(s) where not up to code so to speak. And without that I'll still defend the tradition of modding a firearm as it's been done since the dawn of gun time. Even a combat weapon.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #53

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

My hand errantly ended up on the business end due to the pistol being compact and due trying to get back to the front of the slide. My mistake. Lesson learned....see picture in earlier part of the tread.

Yes I changed the stock springs. Hated the trigger, an it felt much better after the mod. I'm not against smoothing a trigger in the future, but I more then likely won't mess with the stock parts again.

I'm just planning on enjoying my time off with my kids and breaking in my new carry gun at the range. I'm counting my blessings because it could have been much much worse
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #54

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Glad you're OK and I'm glad you posted about this incident - it took guts to put your situation out there.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #55

Liked 263 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1 View Post
My hand errantly ended up on the business end due to the pistol being compact and due trying to get back to the front of the slide. My mistake. Lesson learned....see picture in earlier part of the tread.

Yes I changed the stock springs. Hated the trigger, an it felt much better after the mod. I'm not against smoothing a trigger in the future, but I more then likely won't mess with the stock parts again.

I'm just planning on enjoying my time off with my kids and breaking in my new carry gun at the range. I'm counting my blessings because it could have been much much worse
Are you at all nervous handling a firearm since your mishap ?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #56

Liked 164 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
The thread title should be changed. It should read negligent discharge.
Rule and step number one on working on guns. Make sure they are empty and ammo is away from work area. It is not a firearm failure. It is failure to follow the most basic of firearm safety procedures.
Whenever you modify a firearm you take the liability in your hands. Glock is free and clear. The warranty was voided.
Did the safety features fail? Possibly. Is it because of the trigger modification alone? Unlikely.
The trigger modification coupled with poor safe firearm handling procedures. More than likely.
The trigger mod, poor handling practices and an improper upkeep. Most likely scenario.
You couple these three things and your asking to have an accident regardless of what firearm you are dealing with.
No offense to the OP.
This is reasons, I never change or modify anything internally in a gun!! And I shy away from used guns!! If I can't buy it new and if I'm not happy with the trigger weight or pull I move on till I find something from the factory that I'm pleased with!! Now used guns are fine if you know and trust the owner! But to buy a used gun in a show or gun store is taking an unnecessary risk to save maybe 100 bucks at the most!! Why?? Wait a month or two and buy new!! Unless its rare and hard to find, but all used guns should be field stripped and totally checked out and cleaned before used! And clearing the chamber should not involve using oiling hands with body parts being exposed to the muzzle!! A multitude of mistakes was made here and the purchase of A Glock was not one of them in my opinion!! But Glock was on the side of the gun that bite you so I understand the dislike!!
davva360 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #57
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3525 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

This is a good example as to why I use the "sling shot" slide hold.

I try to teach the slide should be grasped by the rear serrations (I personally have no need to the forward slide serrations).
The muzzle stays away from the body. Grasping "over the top" could lead to the muzzle pointing parallel to the non-dominant arm or pointing at the non-dominant elbow (or in this case, the hand).

Change the hold and keep the thumbs pointed forward when manipulating a firearm could reduce such accidents.
(Dominant hand has the thumb pointed forward most of the time. If one decides to do the "Press check", keep the thumb pointed forward by grabbing the slide from underneath.)

Even when I am unloading, I use the "sling shot".

(My experience is that this could happen with any firearm, not just a modified Glock.)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 08-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #58

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36

You try to clear your weapon with oily hands and put said hand in front of the ( loaded ) weapon and it's not his fault ? I mean I'm glad he wasn't seriously injured or worse but geeez ....
Read past the first sentence of my post before you reply please, I did say habdling a loaded gun with greasy hands was a bad idea. That's probably why his hand slipped and ended up covering the muzzle,however... It seems that is not what caused the discharge.

His fault he sent a bullet through his hand,but its really not his fault the gun discharged,from the nature of the malfunction it seems that the gun could have went off any time he put into battery.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #59

Liked 490 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Read thru all six pages on this thread and a few things jumped off the screen. First, there's a lesson here for my fellow M&P owners who feel the need to install Apex trigger kits. Bye-bye warranty. Second, accidents happen. I don't know anyone that's dealt with firearms over a long period who hasn't had a negligent discharge, whether they'll admit it or not. Third, the Glock fanboy contingent immediately jumping to the defense of the firearm and pointing all fingers at the operator. Reminds me of the President's apologists. I've got nothing against Glocks, they're a proven commodity, but anything man made can fail. Personally speaking, I'm with Jon M, I refuse to put a penny of my money in Gaston's pocket, but that's because of him, not his pistols. MHO you understand.

Last edited by Donn; 08-07-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Its not hard to do with a revers grip on the slide trying to catch the round as its ejected. Can be done safely on a full size but a shorty ccw piece is a whole other animal. If you slip doing that your hand will go in front of the gun just as it goes into battery
Bad practice man. If you have a firing pin issue like this one and a slow primer ignition you have a recipe for disaster popping the bullet out of the gun and catching it. Can't say I've ever seen it happen and I can't say I haven't done it myself but as this shows things can happen.
I'd hate to see what happens if a bullet goes off in someone's hand.
Just saying.