Glock discharge - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1 View Post
Anyone had a firing pin safety malfunction? I did. A week ago I took my carry pistol off, gen 3 glock 30 sf, and I was about to clean it. Had just finished cleaning my xds, so had some oil on my left hand. Went to clear the round in the chamber. Grabbed the front of the slide with my left hand and began to clear the chamber. Hand slipped due to gun oil and slide returned to its original position. When it did, the gun discharged the round. The round went through my hand, the table and bounced off the floor. No I didn't have a finger near the trigger. My trigger finger was on the grip so it wasn't that. Took the gun to a local gun smith and he took it apart and found that the firing pin safety had malfunctioned. Called glock, but was told that because I had different trigger components installed, they were free of liability. They wouldn't even let me send it back to have them look at it.
I don't know about others, but I don't hate glocks. I fear them.

And these threads keep drawing me in, like a moth to a flame...
Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

The thread title should be changed. It should read negligent discharge.
Rule and step number one on working on guns. Make sure they are empty and ammo is away from work area. It is not a firearm failure. It is failure to follow the most basic of firearm safety procedures.
Whenever you modify a firearm you take the liability in your hands. Glock is free and clear. The warranty was voided.
Did the safety features fail? Possibly. Is it because of the trigger modification alone? Unlikely.
The trigger modification coupled with poor safe firearm handling procedures. More than likely.
The trigger mod, poor handling practices and an improper upkeep. Most likely scenario.
You couple these three things and your asking to have an accident regardless of what firearm you are dealing with.
No offense to the OP.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #13

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Yanno, the guy was simply trying to unload his gun.

YOU use the same product. What kind of glib

justification are you going to employ, if, God forbid,

something like this happens to you?

Have any of you glock guys considered that maybe

a lot of the others involved in these discharges actually

did nothing out of order? This could, in less than fortunate

circumstances, be one of you guys, one day, and,

honestly, I'll feel fortunate, for your sake,

if time proves me wrong.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Hopefully I won't make the same mistakes and learn the hard way myself.
I myself have never blamed the knife that cut me. If you don't learn from your mistakes you are doomed to repeat them. The value of threads like this is to learn from the mistakes of others. If everyone blames the gun, nobody learns.
I'm even willing to admit the safety may have failed.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #15

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
The thread title should be changed. It should read negligent discharge.
Rule and step number one on working on guns. Make sure they are empty and ammo is away from work area. It is not a firearm failure. It is failure to follow the most basic of firearm safety procedures.
Whenever you modify a firearm you take the liability in your hands. Glock is free and clear. The warranty was voided.
Did the safety features fail? Possibly. Is it because of the trigger modification alone? Unlikely.
The trigger modification coupled with poor safe firearm handling procedures. More than likely.
The trigger mod, poor handling practices and an improper upkeep. Most likely scenario.
You couple these three things and your asking to have an accident regardless of what firearm you are dealing with.
No offense to the OP.
It might read negligent discharge if I had pulled the trigger, but that's not the case. I was attempting to unload the firearm when this happened, so you can kick rocks on that one. Can I change a handling practice and grip a different part? Yes. But my hand was not over the muzzle until it slipped. Gun had great upkeep. I've been over this a hundred times in my head an I've tried to find a legitimate mistake besides having wet hands. Trigger mods? Maybe, maybe not.

Ps. I posted this purely to get any idea if anyone has heard of or seen this before. Not to be ridiculed.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #16

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Yea I don't really see how this could be all the OP's fault.

Plenty of people put aftermarket triggers in their guns,so you smoothed up the trigger on your 1911,or put a match trigger in your AR,so are you now a irresponsible gun owner?

And for those who are saying he should have made sure the gun was unloaded I'm pretty sure he was IN that very process.

Only thing he did wrong to IMO was getting all greasy fingered before getting it unloaded,while the Accidental Discharge sounds to mostly be due to faulty glock/aftermarket parts.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #17

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Cuz god knows a glock (or any other firearm) couldn't malfunction. I think its kinda crappy when someone tries to share something that has happened with them for advice and to simply talk about it, just to have others come on to bash him and tell him he doesn't know how to safely handle his firearm.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
I'm no Glock fan by any means but I can't see this as an issue with the weapon necessarily How was it determined that the firing pin safety had malfunctioned?
Was there some type of wear or damage to it? how many rounds through it all together?

I'm not doubting your word on any of this. I'm just trying to get as much info to get to the best informed opinion on the matter. This if is all 100% as stated is a pretty damning statement on the gun maker and the Glock people get enough bad press that is not always their doing. I've never heard of a Glock malfunctioning this way before. So I am very intrerested in the specifics if possible.
From my talk with the gun smith, he determined that the firing pin safety spring had been pushed in on itself. Kind of like the end of a slinky if you push if hard enough. He put the stock spring back in and then The gun was sold.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Hopefully I won't make the same mistakes and learn the hard way myself.
I myself have never blamed the knife that cut me. If you don't learn from your mistakes you are doomed to repeat them. The value of threads like this is to learn from the mistakes of others. If everyone blames the gun, nobody learns.
I'm even willing to admit the safety may have failed.
I have 5 other firearms with serrations on the front of the slide, so it's a habit for me to safety check them using the font, because I have large hands. So following the same track, I have no problem admitting that I can switch grips from this point forward. but everything else was followed correctly. Pointed in a safe direction, no one around, no ammo except for the mag that I just had taken out of the gun, and my fingers were no where near the trigger. Yes I installed aftermarket springs, but who hasn't at one time or another. I'm just counting my blessings and enjoying my time off.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

There is a down side to doing mods on any firearm.

Thankfully no one was killed. Especially since that was your carry weapon.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)