Glock discharge - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberteast View Post
I never messed with any guns internals for this very reason. Unless you use the firearm for competition, I see no need to mess with the trigger.
Agree. Find a gun you can shoot well in stock form and leave the trigger alone.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #112

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

I have been mulling this over for several days and am now ready to respond.

You grab the slide with your left hand.
You arrempt to rack the slide to clear the round from the chamber.
Your oily hand slips

Your hand ends up in FRONT of the muzzle?

If you are racking the slide, you are pulling BACK on the slide. If your hand slips, it goes back. There is NO WAY this is the cause of this injury.

I have seen this same injury many times. Remove magazine, press down on the tabs to release the slide, slide will not release, "oh that's right, I have to pull the trigger to get it to release", BANG! OUCH!!!

This is NOT a mechanical malfunction. This is a violation of basic gun safety. Hand in front of muzzle.

When a firing pin safety fails, it fails to the safe position. It is impossible for the firing pin safety to cause this. One may believe they did not pull the trigger, but that is the only way this could happen. Studies have shown the trigger finger IS on the trigger even when the shooter BELIEVES it to be out of the way.

Sorry, but this was negligent, not a mechanical failure
+1 bro. I felt this early on & quit following the thread. Glad I took a gander at the right time.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #113

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

I have been mulling this over for several days and am now ready to respond.

You grab the slide with your left hand.
You arrempt to rack the slide to clear the round from the chamber.
Your oily hand slips

Your hand ends up in FRONT of the muzzle?

If you are racking the slide, you are pulling BACK on the slide. If your hand slips, it goes back. There is NO WAY this is the cause of this injury.

I have seen this same injury many times. Remove magazine, press down on the tabs to release the slide, slide will not release, "oh that's right, I have to pull the trigger to get it to release", BANG! OUCH!!!

This is NOT a mechanical malfunction. This is a violation of basic gun safety. Hand in front of muzzle.

When a firing pin safety fails, it fails to the safe position. It is impossible for the firing pin safety to cause this. One may believe they did not pull the trigger, but that is the only way this could happen. Studies have shown the trigger finger IS on the trigger even when the shooter BELIEVES it to be out of the way.

Sorry, but this was negligent, not a mechanical failure
Reading your post, and just had a few responses. After 3 1/2 weeks of bein home and off work I've had alot of time to reflect and replay the accident. My terminology might not be the best or most accurate, but what I described is accurate and it did happen. I was able to duplicate the accident yesterday with an unloaded firearm and everything was just so. I never even got to the point where I was going to release the tabs, and I am positive I didn't pull the trigger. If I'm man enough to post this accident, then I can admit a mistake. I didn't pull it. I know that goes against every glock safety system blah blah blah, but that's why I had the gun checked out to verify. Yes I can, and have changed a few things now In the way I do things. Yes it's my fault for the habit that I had formed, and yes the gun malfunctioned. I had changed the springs so that Is my fault, and believe me, it won't happen again.

The hand is much better and I'm headed back to work next week

Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1

Good, glad to hear you're doing better.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #115

Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1 View Post

Reading your post, and just had a few responses. After 3 1/2 weeks of bein home and off work I've had alot of time to reflect and replay the accident. My terminology might not be the best or most accurate, but what I described is accurate and it did happen. I was able to duplicate the accident yesterday with an unloaded firearm and everything was just so. I never even got to the point where I was going to release the tabs, and I am positive I didn't pull the trigger. If I'm man enough to post this accident, then I can admit a mistake. I didn't pull it. I know that goes against every glock safety system blah blah blah, but that's why I had the gun checked out to verify. Yes I can, and have changed a few things now In the way I do things. Yes it's my fault for the habit that I had formed, and yes the gun malfunctioned. I had changed the springs so that Is my fault, and believe me, it won't happen again.

I believe you bro. Glocks only safety is built behind their safe action trigger system. Once you start changing stock parts in there it becomes less safe imho. Yes I know thousands of people do this but I don't recommend it. The only mistake you made was putting hand in front of muzzle of a loaded gun. People need to see stuff like this to remind us of what can happen. I thank you for sharing your life lesson with us.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #116

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for sharing this scary life lesson!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #117
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 918 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1 View Post

I lost a leg in a train accident. I remember that morning at home, I remember a snippet of the ambulance ride, I remember a snippet of being in the emergency room. I remember my Mom telling me she told me not to play with trains, and then it was lights out for weeks.

To this day, almost fifty years later, I remember nothing of the accident. Your photograph is.gruesome, and thank God I have never seen any accident scene photos of my event.

Trauma mixes stuff up in your mind. A blessing in most cases.

You not remembering pulling the trigger is not the same as not pulling the trigger.

Could your after market changes make a Glock go off by accident, no trigger involved? I do not know, but I do know trauma alteres memories, even invents new memories.

Glad you are healing well.

This is a lesson for all reading this, do not play with trains, and do not alter the trigger of an EDC pistol. I would push that a bit more, and say, do not alter any trigger on anything. Like someone else said, not to your liking, get another factory stock gun you do like.

Last edited by AR10; 08-18-2013 at 11:57 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #118

When I was in the military one guy was cleaning his handgun with a round into the chamber... Our corporal paid the ultimate price because other guy mistake. Learn your lesson and never again clean a loaded gun. It was not Glock fault, it was your mistake. Be glad that nobody else got hurt.

Get well soon and use your experience for teaching other about gun safety. Sometime we get so use to our guns that we relax safety.

Last edited by asturcon; 08-20-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #119

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by asturcon View Post
When I was in the military one guy was cleaning his handgun with a round into the chamber... Our corporal paid the ultimate price because other guy mistake. Learn your lesson and never again clean a loaded gun. It was not Glock fault, it was your mistake. Be glad that nobody else got hurt.

Get well soon and use your experience for teaching other about gun safety. Sometime we get so use to our guns that we relax safety.
You might want to re-read the original post. He wasn't cleaning his glock with a round in the chamber. He was unloading it to clean it. He had gun oil on his hand and the slide slipped and shut on the live round he was ejecting and fired it without him pulling the trigger.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #120

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asturcon

The original story....which has probably changed from the beginning through this thread, is that I was trying to UNLOAD the pistol BEFORE cleaning it.