Glock discharge - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1267 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD View Post
Wait! I thought glocks could never ever fire unless the trigger was pulled?
Well, I haven't heard of any Glock with Glock parts in it that fired without pulling the trigger. I have heard of people replacing factory Glock parts with aftermarket parts and having problems.

The problem the OP experienced was induced by replacing some components in the striker and trigger mechanism with substandard aftermarket parts that, in point of fact, failed.

Glock has more time, more money, and more engineers working for them than an aftermarket parts company ever will. If you can't or won't spend the time and money to repeatedly test a product to failure, then you really won't know how and when it will fail.

The striker firing mechanism is a proven design in service in Glock, Ruger, S&W, HK, and various other makes of pistols. If it was unreliable, why would so many major manufacturers use it?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Kindly regale us with the last time you purchased

aftermarket parts for a gun, and they failed, due to defect,

or parts quality.

NOW, if they were installed improperly, or someone negated the safety, in order

to create 'bump fire" , or modified the gun, in order to make it function other

than it's factory intended purpose, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

But, truthfully, I have to wonder whether, in every single instance, the user was

clearly at fault, every time. It simply seems the co-incidences are start to pile

up in the G corner. Just be careful, guys, or maybe the next time you go to

unload your G, it may be you, bleeding, taking pictures, and posting a tale of

woe.
So, I thought to myself a few months back that I wanted/needed a better trigger for one of my Colt carbines one day because it's mostly a target rifle for me. Up to that point I'd never messed with the trigger mechanism in any weapon I own, but there's a first time for everything.

I purchased an aftermarket trigger springs pack that was supposed to improve the trigger pull without altering the trigger or sear. It was only $15 (Tubb Precision hammer/trigger springs), about double the cost of a Colt factory trigger and hammer spring set, for the springs so I thought what the hell, I'll try it.

I installed the parts and during installation of the trigger (pushing the trigger down into the lower to pin it) it snapped. I pulled the trigger out, replaced the broken aftermarket spring with the stock trigger spring that never had any problems before or since.

The buffer and magazine springs I've replaced with aftermarket parts have worked better than the Colt factory parts.

I didn't speak with the manufacturer about it or sell my gun because I purchased something that didn't come with the gun that failed, I just put the factory parts back in and moved on.

It was a bad decision on my part.

Lesson learned.

Last edited by kbd512; 08-10-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #103
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3049 Times on 1593 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1 View Post
Anyone had a firing pin safety malfunction? I did. A week ago I took my carry pistol off, gen 3 glock 30 sf, and I was about to clean it. Had just finished cleaning my xds, so had some oil on my left hand. Went to clear the round in the chamber. Grabbed the front of the slide with my left hand and began to clear the chamber. Hand slipped due to gun oil and slide returned to its original position. When it did, the gun discharged the round. The round went through my hand, the table and bounced off the floor. No I didn't have a finger near the trigger. My trigger finger was on the grip so it wasn't that. Took the gun to a local gun smith and he took it apart and found that the firing pin safety had malfunctioned. Called glock, but was told that because I had different trigger components installed, they were free of liability. They wouldn't even let me send it back to have them look at it.
I have been mulling this over for several days and am now ready to respond.

You grab the slide with your left hand.
You arrempt to rack the slide to clear the round from the chamber.
Your oily hand slips

Your hand ends up in FRONT of the muzzle?

If you are racking the slide, you are pulling BACK on the slide. If your hand slips, it goes back. There is NO WAY this is the cause of this injury.

I have seen this same injury many times. Remove magazine, press down on the tabs to release the slide, slide will not release, "oh that's right, I have to pull the trigger to get it to release", BANG! OUCH!!!

This is NOT a mechanical malfunction. This is a violation of basic gun safety. Hand in front of muzzle.

When a firing pin safety fails, it fails to the safe position. It is impossible for the firing pin safety to cause this. One may believe they did not pull the trigger, but that is the only way this could happen. Studies have shown the trigger finger IS on the trigger even when the shooter BELIEVES it to be out of the way.

Sorry, but this was negligent, not a mechanical failure

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 08-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #104
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've been trying to figure this one out myself, Robo.

I haven't been able to induce the failure in my Glock with the firing pin spring and firing pin safety missing.

Without multiple safety failures, to fire the pistol you have to cock the striker or otherwise strike the primer with a round in the chamber. It wouldn't matter if the firing pin safety was completely absent or not, you'd still have to pull the trigger.

If the firing pin spring failed completely or was absent, then unless the nose of the striker managed to travel in front of the sear on the trigger bar it would not have been possible to fire, even if the firing pin block was absent. If that were the case, then the firing pin would have had to have had sufficient inertia to dimple the primer.

If the firing pin safety assembly, firing pin spring, and trigger bar sear all failed at the same time or were absent and the firing pin was protruding from it's channel, then it's possible the inertia of the slide assembly going forward fired the weapon.

If all of that didn't happen, then the simplest and most plausible explanation is pulling the trigger.

Either the explanation of what happened was oversimplified, there was more to the failure than what was expressed, or the OP pulled the trigger with his hand in front of the muzzle.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #105

Liked 1135 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

I have been mulling this over for several days and am now ready to respond.

You grab the slide with your left hand.
You arrempt to rack the slide to clear the round from the chamber.
Your oily hand slips

Your hand ends up in FRONT of the muzzle?

If you are racking the slide, you are pulling BACK on the slide. If your hand slips, it goes back. There is NO WAY this is the cause of this injury.

I have seen this same injury many times. Remove magazine, press down on the tabs to release the slide, slide will not release, "oh that's right, I have to pull the trigger to get it to release", BANG! OUCH!!!

This is NOT a mechanical malfunction. This is a violation of basic gun safety. Hand in front of muzzle.

When a firing pin safety fails, it fails to the safe position. It is impossible for the firing pin safety to cause this. One may believe they did not pull the trigger, but that is the only way this could happen. Studies have shown the trigger finger IS on the trigger even when the shooter BELIEVES it to be out of the way.

Sorry, but this was negligent, not a mechanical failure
I tend to not comment on moderator posts, because it looks like I am sucking up if I agree, and I have been banned in forums for disagreeing, however, I think you are correct on this call.

I also think this is likely, due to improperly trying to break down a Glock, by removing the slide from a uncleared firearm.

I do think the Glock, needing to be placed in a fired state, to break the gun down, is a weak point in the system, however, if one follows safety rules, neglect discharges do not happen.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #106

Liked 1135 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I think Glocks are among the easiest pistols to shoot. It is the ease, that makes them an ideal gun of war, and law enforcement. Pull trigger, bang. Pretty simple. Mag in, mg out, does not matter. No user opperated safetys, no user opperated anything, except a simple trigger pull of 1/2" BANG.

Because of this ease of use, they are also easy to find yourself in error with, commonly known as a Neglegent Discharge. Sometimes called Glock Leg. In this case, Glock Hand.

I am sorry this young man got hurt, but it appears to be operators errors that caused this, not a gun malfunction. IMHO.

Because anyone could have a ND, anyone, yes, anyone, I have a hard fast Glock rule. I follow the three NRA safety rules for all guns, but add one for Glocks. Before ammo enters the gun via mag, chambered or not, Glock must have Trigger Block Safety in place. Remove TBS only when firing gun in accordance with all safety rules, or after gun has been safety checked to be unloaded.

This is just me, something I need. I teach others what I do, and if they wish to follow, fine. If they wish to not follow me, fine.

Last edited by AR10; 08-12-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #107
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3049 Times on 1593 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Yes Glocks are easy to shoot. Their ease of operation also makes them easy to shoot unintentionally.

I am not fond of the "pull trigger to take down". It does require the operator to actually have his brain engaged prior to field stripping.

I swore I would never own a Glock until I went back to the streets. My S&W 1006 quickly showed its age and outdated features. No light rail. Low capacity. Dwindling holster and accessory availability. I chose Glock because it was the only high capacity, light railed pistol on the market in 10mm and on the "approved list". The S&W M&P .45 was a close second, but even that is a bit small for my hands. I really liked the feel of the FNX .45, but it is not on the approved list so it was a no go.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #108

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Last edited by vincent; 08-13-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Ouch! lesson learned. I hope you heal quickly! Bright side is that you did not shoot off your manhood. Trust me, I have seen worse accidental discharges at the range.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #110

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never messed with any guns internals for this very reason. Unless you use the firearm for competition, I see no need to mess with the trigger.

Last edited by roberteast; 08-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.