Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock discharge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-discharge-95070/)

ALfiremedic1 08-06-2013 11:27 PM

Glock discharge

Anyone had a firing pin safety malfunction? I did. A week ago I took my carry pistol off, gen 3 glock 30 sf, and I was about to clean it. Had just finished cleaning my xds, so had some oil on my left hand. Went to clear the round in the chamber. Grabbed the front of the slide with my left hand and began to clear the chamber. Hand slipped due to gun oil and slide returned to its original position. When it did, the gun discharged the round. The round went through my hand, the table and bounced off the floor. No I didn't have a finger near the trigger. My trigger finger was on the grip so it wasn't that. Took the gun to a local gun smith and he took it apart and found that the firing pin safety had malfunctioned. Called glock, but was told that because I had different trigger components installed, they were free of liability. They wouldn't even let me send it back to have them look at it.

ALfiremedic1 08-06-2013 11:33 PM

Needless to say, the gun was sold so someone who knew what happened and he was cool with it. I will probably never own a glock again. No one else was harmed, but me and I'm out of work for a month. I was pissed to say the least.

danolator 08-07-2013 12:34 AM

If you cleared your weapon before you started messing with gun oil, perhaps this wouldn't have happened (if it actually did).

Gatoragn 08-07-2013 12:35 AM

I can see that you would be dissatisfied with the manufacturer, but this could happen with many different firearms, not just Glock.

And all manufacturers will duck & run if aftermarket modifications/parts have been installed.

I am glad that all you lost was a month's wages. Get well soon.

ALfiremedic1 08-07-2013 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by danolator
If you cleared your weapon before you started messing with gun oil, perhaps this wouldn't have happened (if it actually did).

For the record, it did happen

Attachment 113135

The is a pic while I was waiting for the ambulance. Lessons learned: clear all guns before I get my hands slippery. Grab the back of the slide, not the front.....and don't buy a glock.

Jstrong 08-07-2013 12:56 AM

Damn... My carry is a glock30sf.

danolator 08-07-2013 01:02 AM

Sorry that happened to you dude. I apologize, but there are so many Glock Haters on this Forum, I tend to be skeptical. Hope you heal well.

DrumJunkie 08-07-2013 01:05 AM

I'm no Glock fan by any means but I can't see this as an issue with the weapon necessarily How was it determined that the firing pin safety had malfunctioned?
Was there some type of wear or damage to it? how many rounds through it all together?

I'm not doubting your word on any of this. I'm just trying to get as much info to get to the best informed opinion on the matter. This if is all 100% as stated is a pretty damning statement on the gun maker and the Glock people get enough bad press that is not always their doing. I've never heard of a Glock malfunctioning this way before. So I am very intrerested in the specifics if possible.

sdiver35 08-07-2013 01:05 AM

Oh effin OUCH! Dude get well soon and I'm glad that this didn't turn out much worse.

mountainman13 08-07-2013 01:07 AM

Don't blame the glock. You made many mistakes. Starting with voiding the warranty.
I'm sorry you learned the hard way. I hope you heal quickly.