Which Glock for Concealed Carry?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Which Glock for Concealed Carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Which Glock for Concealed Carry?

So, I'm getting my concealed carry in 4 weeks. I currently own a G23 and am considering getting a G26, G30, or G36 for concealed carry. I don't want to get a G27. I'm 6'2", and weigh 140lbs, so concealing a gun isn't going to be the easiest thing...

- Would the extra 8 ounces make carrying the G30 a pain? I don't want to buy a gun to carry if I don't feel like carrying it because of its size or weight.

- I have yet to fire a Glock .45 ACP, is the recoil similar to the G23? The G23 is just barely manageable for me.

- Since most engagements take place at close range, is it better to go with a G26 that I can fire fast that has 12 rounds with a +2 extension or a G36 that carries a bigger punch?

- Also, I've heard that the G36 has some reliability issues compared to other Glocks, is that true? Specifically, that if you don't hold them with a death grip you get lots of stovepipes...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #2

I like to CCW my G26 with the 10 rd mag, back-up G19 mag. I can conceal the 26 easily and know one knows the wiser.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #3

What the second poster said,thats me too.sj

Old 06-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #4

I carry a Glock 36 .45 ACP at 4:30 in an IWB MTAC holster.

I got this Glock about a month ago and it is a new generation Glock from what the dealer tells me. The issues that the older Glock 36s had have been resolved in this one.

I have tried it on the range, and I must admit that the recoil does seem a little more than a 9mm Glock that I trained on. However, it isn't too much that you can't control. You need to know the right grip so your hand doesn't waiver too much while shooting.

My defensive ammo is Federal Hydrashocks .45 auto 230gr JHP, my range ammo is Magtech FMC .45 ACP. I ordered Cor-bon .45 ACP +P ammo but it still hasn't arrived.

Concealment is great with the Glock 36 even in the summer. No one can tell even with a thin cotton shirt and jeans.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/gallery/data/500/medium/conceal_a.jpg
http://www.defensivecarry.com/gallery/data/500/medium/conceal_b.jpg

Vince K
Renton WA

NRA Member
Freemason
Dodge Charger nut

Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to try and find a range that carries the Glock 36 sometime this week. I was able to find some .45 ACP at WalMart... If I can handle the recoil, I might go with it instead of the G26. They both look to be about the same size, so the main thing will be recoil, and how many rounds the G26 has over the G36.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Hi feedsasquatch, I can't offer much help as to what glock to buy...i don't have a glock..yet.
This is in response to your concerns with the recoil.
Of course, you have to get what's comfortable for you.
But in a defensive situation (armed intruder, etc.) recoil will be the LAST thing on your mind.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #7

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
- I have yet to fire a Glock .45 ACP, is the recoil similar to the G23? The G23 is just barely manageable for me.
I fired a Glock .45 (I don't remember which model), normally I shoot a G22 (.40) I was surprised at how little difference there was between the two calibers, I thought the .45 would be more of a knock your wrist around kick but it was quite manageable although it was more than the .40 but not drastically.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I fired a Glock .45 (I don't remember which model), normally I shoot a G22 (.40) I was surprised at how little difference there was between the two calibers, I thought the .45 would be more of a knock your wrist around kick but it was quite manageable although it was more than the .40 but not drastically.
I was able to shoot a Glock 30 just over a week ago. I found the recoil to be LESS than the .40 because it was more of a "push" than an upwards "snap." I'd like to shoot a G36 some time to see how I like it, the G30 was surprisingly manageable...

Old 09-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG23 View Post
if you currently own a G23. geez bro. I just bought one and that was the 1 reason basically i bought it...to carry conceled. I owned a .45 xd and then I got tired of carry it because it was much heavier and it was the standard size, so it was just little bigger than the G23. I say save your loot unless you gotta like that and keep your G23. I love that gun! my opinion...
I went with a Colt Combat Commander (1911). It the same length, but is much thinner and is easier for me to conceal as it isn't chunky like a Glock or Springfield XD...

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
I went with a Colt Combat Commander (1911). It the same length, but is much thinner and is easier for me to conceal as it isn't chunky like a Glock or Springfield XD...
Not to mention he shoots like champ with it.

Of course, that is not really anything new to us 1911 guys.

JD