Glock for army
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock for army

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock for army

As a former ranger I really would hope we stop using the M9s and upgrade to the GLOCK 19 9mm.. I mean the M9s are nice but sometimes the hammer bothers me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne_Ranger
As a former ranger I really would hope we stop using the M9s and upgrade to the GLOCK 19 9mm.. I mean the M9s are nice but sometimes the hammer bothers me.
I've gotta disagree.

I think the Army needs to go to a Glock .40 such as a G22..... The 9mm with FMJ ammo just doesn't have enough stopping power in my personal experience

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #3

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

I'd like to see them put the 1911 back in y'alls hands,but it would never happen.I will have to agree g19 would be a step up from the m9,even though I think a caliber change is in order as well,9mm is good for ccw but for a fighting handgun I'd like to see something different.

Of course that's just my opinion looking from the outside in,the only people who know what would really be best utilized by our servicemembers are our servicemembers

Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong
I'd like to see them put the 1911 back in y'alls hands,but it would never happen.I will have to agree g19 would be a step up from the m9,even though I think a caliber change is in order as well,9mm is good for ccw but for a fighting handgun I'd like to see something different.

Of course that's just my opinion looking from the outside in,the only people who know what would really be best utilized by our servicemembers are our servicemembers
The only thing that makes a Glock 19 better than the Beretta M9 is the fact that it is Glock. It would literally utilize the EXACT SAME 9mm NATO FMJ cartridge, making it the same piss poor battle caliber.

But yes, a .40 Glock or even Beretta would be very good!

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #5

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06

The only thing that makes a Glock 19 better than the Beretta M9 is the fact that it is Glock. It would literally utilize the EXACT SAME 9mm NATO FMJ cartridge, making it the same piss poor battle caliber.

But yes, a .40 Glock or even Beretta would be very good!
The only reason I think the glock would be better than the m9 is that it has the upper hand for reliability and I can see it lending itself better to the current theatre of operations.but yes can't agree more about the 9mm being insufficient for a handgun with the philosophy of use that a military sidearm has

Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne_Ranger
I'm sorry man. I've been a Ranger for a long time now. When were you AD? When did you get out? What Battalion?

I ask because what you said really made me think and made me suspicious. As an AD Ranger with at least 100 Ranger friends that are no longer on AD, I honestly don't know any one of them that do or will ever refer to themselves as a "former ranger"; if they or I ever did, it would at least be capitalized.....

Not trying to be rude, but if you could let be know I'm sure it'd clear everything up. LOTS of guys get on the Internet and claim to be SF, Rangers, SEALs, and other Special Operations soldiers which is why I am probably overly suspicious and maybe even paranoid. I earned my Tab and get ridiculously angry when folks lie about it

"Sua Sponte"

Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The 9 has some good sd ammo out, but the issued stuff is crap. I think this is where a lot of the m9 and 9mm bashing comes from. I have SEEN the bullets come out of my m9, punch through a target (paper and corrugated plastic) and later picked it up from the dirt on the other side. No bueno mi amigos. Even the 9mm would work (not necessary optimal, still) if they just issued better quality ammo.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 164

AD U.S. Coast Guard issues Sigs in .40 180gr H.P.'s in Conus and Ball in theater.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
AD U.S. Coast Guard issues Sigs in .40 180gr H.P.'s in Conus and Ball in theater.

Makes ya wonder. Doesn't it.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #10

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

It will never happen. The Army likes grip safeties and the Glock doesn't have one. Old habits die hard in the military. A Glock is without question the most reliable and cost effective weapon they could choose. But they won't. The military has always been a big fan of buttons and levers on their handguns, and the Glock simply doesn't have enough of them.