Glock Armorers Course Thoughts - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Glock Armorers Course Thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

And, if you take the class in Smyrna, you get to shoot on the range afterward. The 18 has been known to make an appearance at these times.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockanista
And, if you take the class in Smyrna, you get to shoot on the range afterward. The 18 has been known to make an appearance at these times.
What's "the 18" ?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #13

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124

What's "the 18" ?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\
The fully automatic model, the glock 18. Its really just a 17 that has full auto fire control group in it. That being said there's only about 500 in the united states so just seeing and handling one is a treat,much less being able to shoot one.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are there other advantages of taking the course in Smyrna, GA? Are the classes there taught by actual Glock employees? Are the courses at other locations taught by non-Glock employees (i.e. other Glock armorer course graduates)?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrags
Are there other advantages of taking the course in Smyrna, GA? Are the classes there taught by actual Glock employees? Are the courses at other locations taught by non-Glock employees (i.e. other Glock armorer course graduates)?
The courses are taught by Glock Instructors, as an armorer you are allowed to make the warranty repairs on Glocks without voiding it, you can order parts directly from Glock at a discount which is not allowed to the normal layperson (the wait period is sometimes long but it is at a discounted price so it's worth it in most cases), after 2 years you are eligible for the advances armorers course which goes even more in depth...

When you go to the class:
Bring a pen/pencil and notebook, your confirmation letter and ID, a quiet snack, and some money (usually they have extra things you can buy like clothing, DVD's, and accessories)
***you do not need to bring a gun, they will provide a Glock for you to work on in the class***

Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyycanseco33

The courses are taught by Glock Instructors, as an armorer you are allowed to make the warranty repairs on Glocks without voiding it, you can order parts directly from Glock at a discount which is not allowed to the normal layperson (the wait period is sometimes long but it is at a discounted price so it's worth it in most cases), after 2 years you are eligible for the advances armorers course which goes even more in depth...

When you go to the class:
Bring a pen/pencil and notebook, your confirmation letter and ID, a quiet snack, and some money (usually they have extra things you can buy like clothing, DVD's, and accessories)
***you do not need to bring a gun, they will provide a Glock for you to work on in the class***
Do they require you to have any gunsmithing experience at all? I have never broken down a firearm further than the normal field stripping. I don't want to be in over my head. Am I going to feel out of my league with a bunch of LE dept armorers in the class?

And just to be sure I am understanding you correctly, the same instructors teach the courses on the road as the ones who teach in Smyrna?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 1238

No prerequisites to my knowledge. And Glock is pretty much the easiest gun to work on so I wouldn't worry, if you can find the classroom you'll do fine!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #18

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You might want to download and read the free Glock Armorers PDF, about 75 pages. I read it and it's easy stuff, no need to actually take the class unless you want to. Not trying to talk you out of the class, just pointing out you can get up to speed for free which is what I did. Being an armorer though, you can get Glock parts that they won't sell to average folks and I believe you can buy two Glocks at LE prices.

A Google search should pull up the manual.
that makes me want to take it just for the LE discount.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How does one become eligible to take the class?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I took the course in Colorado last March, it was taught by Dennis Tueller, the guy (former SLC cop) who first studied the 21 foot rule, later to be coined the "Tueller Drill". Anyway, good class and good info. You get a couple parts books, an official "Glock tool", and a Gen 4 addendum manual. Bigest bonus is that as a Glock armorer you can buy parts directly from Glock. You do have to take it every three years if you want to remain certified. I had no real reason to take it other than for my own knowledge and to work on my own Glocks. I agree with the premis that all trainig is good training.