Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock Armorers Course Thoughts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-armorers-course-thoughts-55596/)

jrags 01-16-2012 03:57 PM

Glock Armorers Course Thoughts

I'm eligible to take the Glock Armorer's course. Is anyone here a certified Glock Armorer? Is it useful to take? It would be for my own personal benefit. I'm not an armorer for my department or agency. I've had no experience with breaking down handguns further than the standard "field strip."

Standard pricing is $195. Am I way in over my head?

What are the benefits of taking the class other than more in-depth knowledge about Glock pistols and detailed stripping/reassembly?

Do they require re-training every so often?

Do they give you training materials at the course?

http://www.glocktraining.com/files/AC_Course.pdf

PrimePorkchop 01-16-2012 04:20 PM

I have not taken the class, but my best friend has, and based on what he's told me, I would recommend taking it. When you're a certified Glock armorer, you can do Warranty repairs, plus you get to use a cool title "Certified Glock Armorer" which sets you apart from Joe Schmoe working out of his garage =)

But thats just hearsay from him.

RogerH 01-16-2012 08:02 PM

any time you can get more education you should do it.

MrWray 01-16-2012 08:34 PM

When i worked at the sheriff department i had alot more training then alot of the deputies that were there before me. Some just took the manditory classes that it took to keep their CLEET certifications up, i constantly checked in and signed up for every class i could. Even if i had taken the course or school before i would take it again whenever it came back around

trip286 01-16-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerH (Post 678975)
any time you can get more education you should do it.

+100 right there. If you can comfortably afford the course, and the cost is no question, jump on it.

Glasshartt 01-16-2012 11:09 PM

The certification is good for 3 years. I have been an armorer since 2000. It's good training.

FCross7 01-17-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasshartt
The certification is good for 3 years. I have been an armorer since 2000. It's good training.

I think it's strange that it's only good for 3 years. The Glock design has changed very little in its 25ish years in existence, and just about all of those changes were cosmetic.

Seems awfully silly to make people come back every three years to learn the exact same material. Something like every ten years I could understand, but every three is excessive IMO.

I'm interested in doing though because it will look good on a resume.

-Fred

jrags 01-17-2012 02:51 AM

Looks like I'll sign up.

Do they give you any materials? Books/manuals/etc.?

What is the purpose of a 3-year "qualification?" What happens at the end of the 3-years? Can you no longer call yourself a "Glock Armorer?"

g17frantz 01-17-2012 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7

I think it's strange that it's only good for 3 years. The Glock design has changed very little in its 25ish years in existence, and just about all of those changes were cosmetic.

Seems awfully silly to make people come back every three years to learn the exact same material. Something like every ten years I could understand, but every three is excessive IMO.

I'm interested in doing though because it will look good on a resume.

-Fred

I would have to say I agree with you. Doesn't make sense to me.

Quentin 01-17-2012 05:54 AM

You might want to download and read the free Glock Armorers PDF, about 75 pages. I read it and it's easy stuff, no need to actually take the class unless you want to. Not trying to talk you out of the class, just pointing out you can get up to speed for free which is what I did. Being an armorer though, you can get Glock parts that they won't sell to average folks and I believe you can buy two Glocks at LE prices.

A Google search should pull up the manual.