Glock - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 27

I'll play along a bit here, as these are all questions I throw out there in the Concealed Handgun Carry License classes that I teach. Note that I carry a .40 S&W Glock 27. I always recommend that if you're going to CC, then you need to start playing some "mental games" within your own head. Best if you can get someone else to put a Mean Cap on and start grilling you so that you have an idea of Worst Case Scenario questioning you might receive on the Stand in a criminal or civil proceeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
While it is possible that a lighter trigger can be used against you in a criminal or civil trial, that can be said about anything.
Why was your weapon loaded with hollow points?
Because that's what Law Enforcement Agencies throughout the country use for self-defense rounds. It helps to mitigate potential collateral damage from a round going through the target with a Full Metal Jacketed round. My thinking is that if LEO carry them for those reasons, then it's safe enough for me for self defense, as well.

Quote:
Why why did you have a .45 and not a smaller caliber?
Several Law Enforcement Agencies in Arkansas carry .45 ACP pistols for self defense, as well.

Quote:
Why didn't you warn your attacker before shooting?
I had a split second to react with [the assailant] rushing at me with a knife/gun in his hand.

Quote:
Why didn't you shoot him in the leg and just wound him like on t.v.?
I felt in danger for my life and that I needed to stop the threat. I'm also not a good enough shot to hit a moving leg, as center of mass is a larger target that doesn't move nearly so much. I also might accidentally hit some innocent person if I try and shoot at a leg and miss.

Quote:
Why do you carry a gun in the first place? (Chances are most of the jury doesn't ya know)
I have a Concealed Handgun License to protect myself and my family. I carry for the same reason that people have insurance, spare tires in their car and a fire extinguisher in their home - because you never need it, until you need it. It takes x minutes for LE to respond and you have only seconds to react in most situations.

Quote:
All of these questions can be asked of you BUT they can all be answered completely and intelligently.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
If you practice - or at least do a couple of basic "role playing" session with someone else acting as an aggressive DA/PA or civil attorney - you won't have to, but you actually should sweat the small stuff. At least up to a point. Like with muscle memory, once you practice articulating your thoughts in such a potential situation, you won't really have to sweat the small stuff.

BTW, I agree with Massad Ayoob, as well. Lightening the trigger pull on your CCW equates to "hair triggers" to the un-initiated and the anti-gun folks. Why risk it?

I also feel that there's not enough technical justification to alter the trigger pull on a self-defense firearm that you, in all likelihood, will never need - or at least we can hope we'll never need it. This thinking on my part includes increasing the trigger pull on a firearm. In fact, for increasing the trigger pull, you might conceivably cause yourself to be killed, should it take you that extra half-second to pull when a Bad Guy is almost on you with a knife, blunt object or even fists.

By all means, if you think you'll feel better about it, go ahead. I'm not saying doing either is "stupid". I just don't at all recommend either act. LE don't modify carry firearms for similar reasons.