Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Keep it stock, and your defense is like a rock! Toy with mods and your defense is at odds! Just sayin"

'

Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #12

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 526

If I'm defending my life, the last thing I'm concerned with are lawyers.

Last edited by Mongo; 04-06-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1118 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Guys-
Any gun modification you do could be fodder for lawyers if you ever shoot anyone . I would avoid unnecessary modifications but if I thought something would make the gun a lot better, I'd do it and risk the lawyer games .
Massad Ayoob advises you to use a stock gun for defense .
I also follow Massad Ayoob and his legal advice. According to Mas, an attorney will get you on the stand and ask why you created a "Hair Trigger" on your gun. No matter what you say, he will then say this was a modification that gunfighters in the old West used to do so they could kill more quickly and efficiently. That must be what you wanted, to KILL others. And you couldn't WAIT to get into a gunfight and use your hair trigger to KILL someone...ANY one!

Best is stock. Some say it's okay to increase the pull, thereby making the gun even more safe from accidental discharge and making you look like you were trying to make it as safe as possible. But you should talk to your attorney that would handle your defense and find out what his preference is.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Griffworks Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

At what point during a justified shooting would trigger pull weight come into play?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
10-32

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore View Post
At what point during a justified shooting would trigger pull weight come into play?
In court. When the family of the person shot sues you and they use the modified trigger as a case for negligence.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Griffworks Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

In court. When the family of the person shot sues you and they use the modified trigger as a case for negligence.
I dont think thats a valid argument in a "justified shooting". Can someone point to a case in which someone lawfully used a handgun in self defense and lost on the trigger pull weight? That makes no sense. Either you are justified in shooting someone or you aint, no matter how stiff your trigger is.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
10-32

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore View Post

I dont think thats a valid argument in a "justified shooting". Can someone point to a case in which someone lawfully used a handgun in self defense and lost on the trigger pull weight? That makes no sense. Either you are justified in shooting someone or you aint, no matter how stiff your trigger is.
You need to keep in mind the general public opinion is you are never justified.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Griffworks Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If a DA decides to make a case against you, you have more explaining to do then the weight of your trigger pull, mainly why did you shoot in the first place.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #19

Liked 181 Times on 125 Posts

Glore :
According to Ayoob, gun modifications can be used to predudice the case against you . A proscecutor or lawyer suing you in civil court could paint you as some sort of reckless nut for lightening a trigger or pinning a grip safety... or as a man bent on killing for building your own special ammo .
I have no first-hand knowlege of this ; only stuff Ayoob wrote and reported .

Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #20

Liked 203 Times on 132 Posts

While it is possible that a lighter trigger can be used against you in a criminal or civil trial, that can be said about anything.
Why was your weapon loaded with hollow points?
Why why did you have a .45 and not a smaller caliber?
Why didn't you warn your attacker before shooting?
Why didn't you shoot him in the leg and just wound him like on t.v.?
Why do you carry a gun in the first place? (Chances are most of the jury doesn't ya know)

All of these questions can be asked of you BUT they can all be answered completely and intelligently.
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited by FrontierTCB; 04-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Mongo Likes This