Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 36 Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1731 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default Glock 36 Problem

I recently bought a used Glock 36 from a dealer. The pistol appears to have had little use but I am having a problem with the slide locking back. The dealer replaced the slide latch but the problem persists. Locks back with both mags and 2 different loads. 230 FMJ and 230 HP. The pistol was clean and lubed. Also tried different holds. The Glock factory rep will be here in a couple of weeks but I am looking for some ideas.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #2

So what exactly is it doing? Locking back in the middle of shooting a mag?

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

send it to glock

Old 10-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #4

I would send it back to Glock aswell. They should take care of it.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Probably has to do with the way the slide stop is installed. The little spring on the slide stop needs to be under the locking block pin. If that is the issue, it is a 10 second fix.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The slide lock is engaging on almost every round. Thinking it over last night, I think it has to be a spring problem and the last poster brought that up. I will take his advice and see if the spring is incorrectly installed. The Glock rep is going to be here for a gun show in a couple of weeks and I will have him look at it. The dealer I bought it from changed out the slide lock with a new extended one when it locked up but it did not help. It could be a bad spring. Another possibility is it does not like 230 gr. bullets. I have a Keltec PF9 that hates 115 gr bullets but loves 124 gr. My old P11 would eat anything but had a horible trigger. My Glock 19 just keeps on shooting. My wife was shooting it yesterday while I was getting frustrated with the 36.
Due to a back injury I have problems carrying heavy handguns. I have to use shoulder rigs or wear suspenders. This is why I picked the G36. It is also why I carry a Keltec PF9. I should have gone with the 26 and stayed with 9mm but I wanted a larger calibre.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

We used to take the tip of the slide stop spring and bend it out just a tiny bit to increase the tension.

The slide stop needs to be installed UNDER/after the top pin. If it is installed before the top pin is slid into place it will cause the type of malfunction you are describing.

I just checked my G36 and the slide stop spring is applying some decent pressure. No way it will pop up without external influence. I think your spring is stuck under the top pin which is pulling up on the slide stop.

If you know how to strip your Glock you can fix it in about 15 seconds. If you don't know how to strip it, I suggest you learn how to do so. It is a very valuable skill.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The slide lock is engaging on almost every round. Thinking it over last night, I think it has to be a spring problem and the last poster brought that up. I will take his advice and see if the spring is incorrectly installed. The Glock rep is going to be here for a gun show in a couple of weeks and I will have him look at it. The dealer I bought it from changed out the slide lock with a new extended one when it locked up but it did not help. It could be a bad spring. Another possibility is it does not like 230 gr. bullets. I have a Keltec PF9 that hates 115 gr bullets but loves 124 gr. My old P11 would eat anything but had a horible trigger. My Glock 19 just keeps on shooting. My wife was shooting it yesterday while I was getting frustrated with the 36.
Due to a back injury I have problems carrying heavy handguns. I have to use shoulder rigs or wear suspenders. This is why I picked the G36. It is also why I carry a Keltec PF9. I should have gone with the 26 and stayed with 9mm but I wanted a larger calibre.
Did he change the slide lock, or the slide stop lever?

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

He replaced the slide stop or release if you wish with an extended one. I am going to take it down as soon as I get a chance and a schematic.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Problem solved

Problem solved. Evidently the oringinal owner had replaced the slide lock/release lever and not with the right one. The dealer replaced the lever with basicly the same one. One of the dealers employees is a Glock expert and spotted it right away. He put in an original factory lever and no more problem. The rounds in the mag were actually tripping the lever. Ran quite a few rounds of hardball and HP to make sure. I needed the practice anyway and I had to be sure the HP rounds would function reliably. I learned quite a bit from this and I definately need more practice. It has been a while since I shot a light weight 45.