Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock 30SF Cleaning Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-30sf-cleaning-question-4206/)

Dan64456 04-23-2008 03:45 PM

Glock 30SF Cleaning Question

Ok, so I've done a fair amount of research and watching of videos of glock cleaning... I hear a lot of bad press about allowing lube or solvent leak into the firing pin channel... Now I am nervous about cleaning that area of my gun. I am completely new to this and this is my first firearm, so I just want to make sure I am doing it all correctly. I'm assuming the "breech face" is simply the wall of the slide where the firing pin pokes thru? If that is correct, would it be safe to use a toothbrush with a bit of solvent on that area to clean it? (While pointing it to the ground, then of course drying it thoroughly?) Also am I supposed to "retract" the firing pin before cleaning that area? Or do I leave it in its "struck" position to keep the hole better sealed? If someone can go into more detail for what is safe and what I should not do I'd greatly appreciate it. The manual that came with it doesn't go into very much detail at all and I'd like some info on how to safely clean that rear area of the slide.

Dan64456 04-25-2008 01:23 AM

Anyone?????????

chorst294 04-25-2008 04:04 AM

I'm a Glock armorer and honestly don't remember anything in our class about that. I do know they dont' recommend putting too much solvent on any part as most solvents attract dirt and can clog things up. I do know that Glock recommends using VERY little gun oil, and only on parts subject to friction. I think you'll be fine cleaning your gun in that manner. I've done it that way on my own Glock 30 for almost 10 years and fired thousands of rounds through it without any issues. Glocks are very simple and can operate with the least amount of maintenance.

ranger_sxt 05-01-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chorst294 (Post 22515)
I'm a Glock armorer and honestly don't remember anything in our class about that. I do know they dont' recommend putting too much solvent on any part as most solvents attract dirt and can clog things up. I do know that Glock recommends using VERY little gun oil, and only on parts subject to friction. I think you'll be fine cleaning your gun in that manner. I've done it that way on my own Glock 30 for almost 10 years and fired thousands of rounds through it without any issues. Glocks are very simple and can operate with the least amount of maintenance.

Then you were sleeping through your class, they covered it.

ranger_sxt 05-01-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan64456 (Post 22376)
Ok, so I've done a fair amount of research and watching of videos of glock cleaning... I hear a lot of bad press about allowing lube or solvent leak into the firing pin channel... Now I am nervous about cleaning that area of my gun. I am completely new to this and this is my first firearm, so I just want to make sure I am doing it all correctly. I'm assuming the "breech face" is simply the wall of the slide where the firing pin pokes thru? If that is correct, would it be safe to use a toothbrush with a bit of solvent on that area to clean it? (While pointing it to the ground, then of course drying it thoroughly?) Also am I supposed to "retract" the firing pin before cleaning that area? Or do I leave it in its "struck" position to keep the hole better sealed? If someone can go into more detail for what is safe and what I should not do I'd greatly appreciate it. The manual that came with it doesn't go into very much detail at all and I'd like some info on how to safely clean that rear area of the slide.

That'll work just fine. Some would call it being a little over-cautious, but that's how I do it...

chorst294 05-01-2008 01:01 PM

That's funny Ranger, I don't remember seeing you in my class. It's also funny that you gave the same advice but couldn't resist a sarcastic comment.

G21.45 05-30-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan64456 (Post 22376)
.... I'm assuming the "breech face" is simply the wall of the slide where the firing pin pokes thru? If that is correct, would it be safe to use a toothbrush with a bit of solvent on that area to clean it?

Yes, that is correct! (Don't worry about pointing the slide toward the ground. It should be off the frame anyway; so, point it anywhere you like.)

Quote:

(While pointing it to the ground, then of course drying it thoroughly?)
You don't have to worry about drying your slide thoroughly either. Excess lubrication simply isn't THAT critical. (You're being too cautious and overthinking this!)

Quote:

Also am I supposed to "retract" the firing pin before cleaning that area? Or do I leave it in its "struck" position to keep the hole better sealed?
Yes, if the FP is protruding out of the breech face, then, give the FP safety a tap and allow the FP to retract back into the FP channel where it belongs.

Quote:

If anyone can go into more detail for what is safe and what I should not do I'd greatly appreciate it. The manual that came with it doesn't go into very much detail at all and I'd like some info on how to safely clean that rear area of the slide.
You need to learn how to disassemble your new Glock's slide. I would recommend that you clean out the internal FP and EDP channels, at least, once every 1,500 rounds. I like to use either Q-Tips or soft pipe cleaners.

Other than this, just clean your Glock as you would any other pistol; and, then, lightly lube it in accord with the six lubrication points as they are shown and highlighted in your owner's manual. As long as you don't pour copious amounts of oil into the FP channel, you will be fine.

These things said: It is impossible - absolutely impossible - to keep all dirt, oil, and firing residue out of the slide channels. This is the reason, 'Why' there is a little weep hole on the bottom of the slide immediately behind the breech face.

If you need to learn more about your Glock, how to run it, and what makes it tick, I'd recommend that you add the following link to your Internet Explorer's Favorites list.

Illustrated (Unofficial) Glock Armorer's Manual

This manual is beautifully illustrated and takes awhile to load; but, the wait is well worth it! If you need to close it out quickly use, 'CTL+ALT+DEL' and shut it down with the Windows Task Manager.

By the way, if you don't care to use anymore light gun oil on your Glock than you have to, try using a high tech grease like Sentry Solutions, 'Hi-Slip' on the rails, connector top, and barrel areas. You'll need to wear Nitrile or Latex gloves if you do this; but, you should be wearing gloves whenever you clean a firearm, anyway. Hope this helps you out! :)

Sentry Solutions