Glock 30s- Any tips? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 30s- Any tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Longer Mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwanca View Post
Thanks for the post. I think you're right. I've been going day by day and loading and unloading them and they are popping right in. I'm looking for the 21 mags solely for capacity, not so much the ergonomics. I've seen it and I actually like that it sticks out a little from the bottom. Slightly Glock 18-ish?? Haha.
I think it looks cool too, but I have seen mags that stick out like that help cause FTF (failure to feed) issues. It seems that if the extra bit of mag that sticks out is used to better one's grip on the shorter grip guns, as in G26 or G30's) the mag moves in the well a little bit and can cause the back of the mag to raise a bit and the bullet to nose-dive into the feed ramp or the bottom of the slide to impact the top of the rear of the mag and malfunction. That doesn't happen on every gun/mag combination but it does happen. Carry the G21 mags for the extra capacity, but make sure you try them extensively before betting your life on them.
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wonder if this happens on all g30s or not.....

when 10 round mag is empty, slide does lock back (open). but popping in a new full slide does NOT close slide as it does on my 21.

is this right? normal? is mine broke? anyone know what to look for to fix it?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4144 Times on 2814 Posts
Likes Given: 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip69 View Post

when 10 round mag is empty, slide does lock back (open). but popping in a new full slide does NOT close slide as it does on my 21.

It's normal. Loading a mag may release the slide, and it often does, but it is not a guaranteed operation, and cannot be expected every time on every Glock. There is a good chance you will see it eventually, as the gun breaks in and "polishes" itself internally.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I bought a few Glock 21 factory mags from GT Distributors. They are reasonably priced too.
https://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=GLOCK-MAGS

Last edited by ChrisH67; 03-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default NOT Normal

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
It's normal. Loading a mag may release the slide, and it often does, but it is not a guaranteed operation, and cannot be expected every time on every Glock. There is a good chance you will see it eventually, as the gun breaks in and "polishes" itself internally.
Even though this happens on a lot of Glocks, it is NOT normal and should be checked out by a certified Glock armorer. Without seeing the gun, it's hard to tell for sure, but it may very well be a weak magazine spring and/or the slide stop. The armorer will tell you for sure.
― The Rukh
― The Rukh

Old 03-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
Quote:

Even though this happens on a lot of Glocks, it is NOT normal and should be checked out by a certified Glock armorer. Without seeing the gun, it's hard to tell for sure, but it may very well be a weak magazine spring and/or the slide stop. The armorer will tell you for sure.
Slide release by slamming the magazine is not a standard operating procedure. The rest is pure conjecture. It is simply not true. You can consult the Glock manual.

Last edited by Mercator; 03-14-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Uninformed Advice?

Quote:
This is not true. Look up the Glock manual. Slide release by slamming the magazine is not a standard operating procedure. Nothing is weak or broken. You are making a mistake by giving uninformed advice.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough for you. I said "may...be a weak magazine spring and/or..." Further, my main point was to have it checked out by a certified armorer. How can you unequivocally say that "[n]othing is weak or broken?" I certainly don't like using all encompassing statements without knowing for sure. Remember, I said "[w]ithout seeing the gun,it's hard to tell for sure." I mentioned the armorer twice. What part of that is uninformed advice? What if the firing pin safety is damaged or its spring is weak or the drop safety is messed up and "popping" in the mag causes the slide to go into battery and it fires? Having an armorer look at it won't do any harm and may prevent a tragedy and is certainly neither "uninformed" nor a "mistake."
― The Rukh
― The Rukh

Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear enough for you. I said "may...be a weak magazine spring and/or..." Further, my main point was to have it checked out by a certified armorer. How can you unequivocally say that "[n]othing is weak or broken?" I certainly don't like using all encompassing statements without knowing for sure. Remember, I said "[w]ithout seeing the gun,it's hard to tell for sure." I mentioned the armorer twice. What part of that is uninformed advice? What if the firing pin safety is damaged or its spring is weak or the drop safety is messed up and "popping" in the mag causes the slide to go into battery and it fires? Having an armorer look at it won't do any harm and may prevent a tragedy and is certainly neither "uninformed" nor a "mistake."
( I went back and edited/softened my post before you had responded. But anyway.)

Rukh, your previous post was incorrect, because you did not know normal from abnormal. No sin in making an error. Insisting on it is a mistake.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #19

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have some handguns that release when slamming a mag into place and some that don't. I'm of the opinion that they should not, also recently had this discussion with someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Normal

Quote:
( I went back and edited/softened my post before you had responded. But anyway.)

Rukh, your previous post was incorrect, because you did not know normal from abnormal. No sin in making an error. Insisting on it is a mistake.
I guess our definition of normal is slightly different.
― The Rukh
― The Rukh