Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock 30s- Any tips? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-30s-any-tips-104271/)

andrewwanca 02-21-2014 04:25 AM

Glock 30s- Any tips?

Hello all,

Just picked up a new Glock 30s today and I'm excited to start breaking it in. The only issue I've had thus far is these magazines. The springs are crazy stiff.

I've had other Glocks and rifle mag springs that are tight, but these are more so than others. I can get 9 rounds in each 10 round magazine, but #'s 8 & 9 are tough on the fingers.

I already know how to use a speed loader, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for breaking in these magazines. Any other info from current owners is always appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

mountainman13 02-21-2014 11:52 AM

The best way to loosen them up is to use them. Congrats on the purchase.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

Mercator 02-21-2014 12:35 PM

It is (crazy) normal for a new Glock. Try the MagLula. It works better than the enclosed Glock loader. I always use the MagLula in training. The mag will break in from usage, as stated above.

mahall 02-21-2014 04:24 PM

I can totally relate to stiff 10 round mags! I just could not get the 10th round in! Than I ran about 100 rounds through mine and she went in but still difficult! I imagine the more I exercise the mag springs the easier it will get! Also, it's harder to lock the mags in fully loaded compared to my 19! Some of it might be the bigger bullet, but more than anything, it needs to be shot! I'm quite sure after about 500 rounds, alternating mags she will not be a problem.

Like guns, love people!!

therukh 02-27-2014 03:54 AM

Mags will ease with use, as said above. My G30 is ultra reliable & so accurate it is unbelievable. That is difficult for a confirmed 1911 user to say. I do believe I would choose my G30 over my Colt if I had to choose one .45 as my "go to" gun. Glad you got it.

andrewwanca 02-27-2014 04:00 AM

Thanks all. I've loaded and unloaded them about 50-60 times in the past few days (my fingers hurt like the old lady on Happy Gilmore...) but even that little bit has helped.

I'll look into the speed loader. I've never been a huge fan of the Glock speed loader, but it's nice they throw it in there.

phillip69 03-04-2014 10:56 PM

it does get softer after a few hundred rounds.... it is about equiv to my +2 15round 21 mags to rack full. I have kept both 10 round mags full since day 1 - oct 2013 - and it is a bit easier now after about 300 rounds. btw, I have not tried much more but it totally failed to feed my 15 round model 21 mags so far.... every other one got jambed loading.... but is wonderful as my edc

andrewwanca 03-05-2014 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillip69 (Post 1522189)
it does get softer after a few hundred rounds.... it is about equiv to my +2 15round 21 mags to rack full. I have kept both 10 round mags full since day 1 - oct 2013 - and it is a bit easier now after about 300 rounds. btw, I have not tried much more but it totally failed to feed my 15 round model 21 mags so far.... every other one got jambed loading.... but is wonderful as my edc

Ironic, I'm looking for a place to order a new Glock 21 magazine to use with this so I can carry a few more rounds. Thanks for the tip, I've been loading them a lot and it has helped tremendously. I was surprised that these were so stiff. The mags for my 19,23,26 & 27 all came pretty easy out of the box.

therukh 03-06-2014 02:46 AM

Stiff Magazine Springs

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewwanca (Post 1522544)
Ironic, I'm looking for a place to order a new Glock 21 magazine to use with this so I can carry a few more rounds. Thanks for the tip, I've been loading them a lot and it has helped tremendously. I was surprised that these were so stiff. The mags for my 19,23,26 & 27 all came pretty easy out of the box.

The G21 mags will work in the G30's but do stick out of the frame. This should not matter but it seems that it does for some G30's. There are some grip extensions (A&G) that will fill that gap between the bottom of the frame and the floor plate on the G21 mags. That should work but must be tried before carrying for self defense. With modern springs, it is not the compression that loosens up the mag, since the spring is not working. It is the compression and decompression that works the spring and loosens up the mag. They can stay loaded for years and not lose any tension. Keep working them and it will help!

andrewwanca 03-06-2014 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therukh (Post 1523330)
The G21 mags will work in the G30's but do stick out of the frame. This should not matter but it seems that it does for some G30's. There are some grip extensions (A&G) that will fill that gap between the bottom of the frame and the floor plate on the G21 mags. That should work but must be tried before carrying for self defense. With modern springs, it is not the compression that loosens up the mag, since the spring is not working. It is the compression and decompression that works the spring and loosens up the mag. They can stay loaded for years and not lose any tension. Keep working them and it will help!

Thanks for the post. I think you're right. I've been going day by day and loading and unloading them and they are popping right in. I'm looking for the 21 mags solely for capacity, not so much the ergonomics. I've seen it and I actually like that it sticks out a little from the bottom. Slightly Glock 18-ish?? Haha.