Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 27 or 33 vs. Springfield XD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock 27 or 33 vs. Springfield XD

I have my hadgun selection narrowed down to 3 guns. I would like either the Glock 27 or 33 or a Springfield XD sub-compact 3" in .40 caliber. This would be mainly a home defense weapon and when I get my CCW a carry gun. In reality I probably won't carry all that much. I would like opinions and pros and cons of all the above guns. Price is not a big factor, but I think the glocks are a little less expensive. If I get a springfield it will most likely be the bi-tone. Please discuss, thanks Mark

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My best advice is to shoot all 3 and see what feels the best to you.

My standard advice is to do it right from the beginning and get a 1911.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #3

How practical is it to carry a 1911? I don't think they are the smallest of handguns are they? If I do carry I want something I can throw in the back of my jeans under my shirt.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 AM   #4

I've been carrying a 1911 Govt IWB all year down here in Texas for the past 2 years roughly. No problems at all I'm switching to a Glock 17 for lighter weight and higher capacity.

You need a holster by the way. Don't just go throwing a handgun in your pants. You'll be a nutless wonder in no time especially with a Glock.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #5

Do glocks tend to discharge without warning? This may influence my purchase. I know the Springfield has the trigger safety and you have to have a good grip on the rear of the stock. I would not want a gun discharging while I was carrying for sure.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
How practical is it to carry a 1911? I don't think they are the smallest of handguns are they? If I do carry I want something I can throw in the back of my jeans under my shirt.
I'm sure you've seen these before, but here is my Compact:

Here it is on my hip:

Old 12-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Do glocks tend to discharge without warning? This may influence my purchase. I know the Springfield has the trigger safety and you have to have a good grip on the rear of the stock. I would not want a gun discharging while I was carrying for sure.
Not as long as your finger or anything isn't on the trigger but the fact there is no external safety on a Glock and all it requires to fire is pulling the trigger I'd say stuffing one in pants without a holster is pretty damn stupid.

Stuffing any gun in your pants without a holster is pretty damn stupid but especially the modern striker fired pistols that have no trigger lock out type safety.

Get it caught on your pants or sit down wrong and it just happens to pull the trigger enough.....it's a long shot but like I said carrying without a holster is STUPID!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #8

I am interested in those 3 as well...I like the Glocks because they are shorter in height at 4.17 inches tall...the XD subcompact is 4.75, which is nearly the same height as my Glock 19 (5.00 inches). All 3 have the same length. The XD's do have the grip safety and the light rail, though.

Any body out there have the XD subcompact?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
I have my hadgun selection narrowed down to 3 guns. I would like either the Glock 27 or 33 or a Springfield XD sub-compact 3" in .40 caliber. This would be mainly a home defense weapon and when I get my CCW a carry gun. In reality I probably won't carry all that much. I would like opinions and pros and cons of all the above guns. Price is not a big factor, but I think the glocks are a little less expensive. If I get a springfield it will most likely be the bi-tone. Please discuss, thanks Mark
If you don't plan on carrying it much, why limit yourself with a compact version of the above mentioned guns? I have a lot of experience with Glocks and very limited experience with the XD's, but I believe both are good quality guns. If it were me, i'd choose a Glock 32 (.357sig) or 23 (.40) since they're still small enough to carry. I don't know about Springfeild, but with Glock, if you wanted to convert a .357 to .40 or the other way around, all you need is a conversion barrel. Why not buy a .357 or .40 with a conversion barrel and get both calibers.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #10

I just got a Glock 27...very happy with my decision. It fits much better under my shirt than the compact sized 19.
Still like the look of the XD, though.