Glock 26 vs Glock 27? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 26 vs Glock 27?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1508 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Sorry, I'm not a gunsmith, but I think I can recognize an inferior weapon when handling one and I have shot just a couple of Kel-Tecs and examined them closely even in gunshops. Two individuals that I tried to talk out of buying the Kel-Tec and was unsuccessful in doing so dumped both of them. Maybe you can locate a couple of small ones, but I know of no major PD that would even authorize a Kel-Tec for off duty carry, or as a backup. They do have their reasons and since their depts usually don't pay for them I'm sure cost has nothing to do with it, but their quality does concern them a lot. Seeing a Kel-Tec fire 1000's of rounds without a malfunction is something I'd have to see in order to believe it. What other reason would they have for not using them if dependability wasn't in question?

Since you mentioned pocket carry on the beach, my ex-partner was one of those who didn't listen to me when I recommended he get the NAA Guardian that I've pocket carried when I had to dependably for over 10 years. Unlike the Kel-Tec it has a nice trigger and is all stainless steel with a metal mag that you seem to prefer. My friend's Kel-Tec was cheaper and lighter, but had the lousiest trigger I could think of and jammed several times. My NAA never ftf, not ever.

As far as mag capacity is concerned the Glock will accept other higher capacity mags as long as the calibre is the same. I cant carry a Glock 27 in my pocket cause my jeans aren't loose fitting, but a 22 rd .40 mag works great in a shoulder rig. They even have drums available.
I have been handling firearms for over 50 years myself. I have never seen a semi auto of any make or model that never jammed. Even my BAR has jammed a couple times in the 30+ years I have owned it. Maybe I have bad luck but I really doubt that luck is the issue. I am not saying that most reputable firearms won't shoot thousands of rounds without a jam. But eventually something happens, the pistol is limp wristed while practicing with the off hand, you get a box of bad ammo, you get ammo the gun doesn't like, parts break, etc.

You sound like a commercial I saw where they fired 10's of thousands of rounds and the gun never malfunctioned. Yet, the gun broke a couple of times during the testing. A couple of the problems they had would require a couple magazines of ammo to spot. So it would be impossible to have those problems and never have a malfunction.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-25-2014 at 05:15 PM.
therukh Likes This 
Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #32

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have been handling firearms for over 50 years myself. I have never seen a semi auto of any make or model that never jammed. Even my BAR has jammed a couple times in the 30+ years I have owned it. Maybe I have bad luck but I really doubt that luck is the issue. I am not saying that most reputable firearms won't shoot thousands of rounds without a jam. But eventually something happens, the pistol is limp wristed while practicing with the off hand, you get a box of bad ammo, you get ammo the gun doesn't like, parts break, etc.

You sound like a commercial I saw where they fired 10's of thousands of rounds and the gun never malfunctioned. Yet, the gun broke a couple of times during the testing. A couple of the problems they had would require a couple magazines of ammo to spot. So it would be impossible to have those problems and never have a malfunction.
It was you who mentioned 1000's of rounds without jamming and not myself. In that particular weapon even with perfectly manufactured ammo I wouldn't depend on it functioning that well. Maybe one in a thousand might though. For being dependable I prefer a revolver rather than any automatic weapon any day.

Of course there's no such thing as a guaranteed jam free gun, or trouble free ammo. I once got a box of Remington 45LC and one of the rounds had a defective shell casing do to it not being fully machined. It wouldn't load all the way into my Colt SAA cylinder. I was really surprised. I believe in Murphy's Law that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

I love and collect Colt SA's and even with their weaknesses I have nothing but good to say about them, but a friend of mine purchased a number of years ago new from the Colt Custom Shop a real beauty. While shooting it for the first time the cylinder jammed before it reached the next chamber. It turned out the loading gate got loose and moved forward stopping it dead in it's tracks. So even a gun that I love a lot can screw up. It was easy to fix but in a life and death situation it could've been fatal.

It doesn't require expertise to realize, just common sense that any gun can fail to function. I just think that with the Glock you have much less of a chance. If you own the Kel-Tec and it's worked flawlessly for you that is great. We all have what we feel works best for us. All I am saying is that Kel-Tec would be at the bottom of my list of weapons to be carried for SD. The Glock on the other hand is one of my preferred conceal carry weapons and I do mean just one that I prefer.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1508 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Quote:
It was you who mentioned 1000's of rounds without jamming and not myself. In that particular weapon even with perfectly manufactured ammo I wouldn't depend on it functioning that well. Maybe one in a thousand might though. For being dependable I prefer a revolver rather than any automatic weapon any day.

Of course there's no such thing as a guaranteed jam free gun, or trouble free ammo. I once got a box of Remington 45LC and one of the rounds had a defective shell casing do to it not being fully machined. It wouldn't load all the way into my Colt SAA cylinder. I was really surprised. I believe in Murphy's Law that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

I love and collect Colt SA's and even with their weaknesses I have nothing but good to say about them, but a friend of mine purchased a number of years ago new from the Colt Custom Shop a real beauty. While shooting it for the first time the cylinder jammed before it reached the next chamber. It turned out the loading gate got loose and moved forward stopping it dead in it's tracks. So even a gun that I love a lot can screw up. It was easy to fix but in a life and death situation it could've been fatal.

It doesn't require expertise to realize, just common sense that any gun can fail to function. I just think that with the Glock you have much less of a chance. If you own the Kel-Tec and it's worked flawlessly for you that is great. We all have what we feel works best for us. All I am saying is that Kel-Tec would be at the bottom of my list of weapons to be carried for SD. The Glock on the other hand is one of my preferred conceal carry weapons and I do mean just one that I prefer.
The gun in my pocket is a thousand times better than the gun in the safe, regardless of the quality of the gun. I carry the Kel Tec because it is comfortable to carry. I don't have to dress around my gun. I have nice XD with a 5" barrel that I would prefer to carry. I have to be a realist and select a gun that I will carry. I work outdoors. It's real hard to carry a gun in a holster and wear a tool belt or operate heavy machinery. The upside of being on a heavy machine is it's not hard to mount a scabbard so I can carry a rifle. I would much rather have a long gun handy than any pistol.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The gun in my pocket is a thousand times better than the gun in the safe, regardless of the quality of the gun. I carry the Kel Tec because it is comfortable to carry. I don't have to dress around my gun. I have nice XD with a 5" barrel that I would prefer to carry. I have to be a realist and select a gun that I will carry. I work outdoors. It's real hard to carry a gun in a holster and wear a tool belt or operate heavy machinery. The upside of being on a heavy machine is it's not hard to mount a scabbard so I can carry a rifle. I would much rather have a long gun handy than any pistol.
I agree with your reason for carrying a pocket gun and that's why I carry my NAA on hot summer days. I agree with you where a long gun is concerned as well. I'm older and lazier these days and don't necessarily do what I consider to be the smartest, correct thing where carrying is concerned. I just try to carry what I consider to be the best choice of weapon regardless of size and calibre.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 178 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 495

Default Nice Setup

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not a gunsmith, but I think I can recognize an inferior weapon when handling one and I have shot just a couple of Kel-Tecs and examined them closely even in gunshops. Two individuals that I tried to talk out of buying the Kel-Tec and was unsuccessful in doing so dumped both of them. Maybe you can locate a couple of small ones, but I know of no major PD that would even authorize a Kel-Tec for off duty carry, or as a backup. They do have their reasons and since their depts usually don't pay for them I'm sure cost has nothing to do with it, but their quality does concern them a lot. Seeing a Kel-Tec fire 1000's of rounds without a malfunction is something I'd have to see in order to believe it. What other reason would they have for not using them if dependability wasn't in question?

Since you mentioned pocket carry on the beach, my ex-partner was one of those who didn't listen to me when I recommended he get the NAA Guardian that I've pocket carried when I had to dependably for over 10 years. Unlike the Kel-Tec it has a nice trigger and is all stainless steel with a metal mag that you seem to prefer. My friend's Kel-Tec was cheaper and lighter, but had the lousiest trigger I could think of and jammed several times. My NAA never ftf, not ever.

As far as mag capacity is concerned the Glock will accept other higher capacity mags as long as the calibre is the same. I cant carry a Glock 27 in my pocket cause my jeans aren't loose fitting, but a 22 rd .40 mag works great in a shoulder rig. They even have drums available.

I can only conclude by saying that the Glock has earned an excellent track record that is recognized world wide by millions and really can't be disputed. Their polymer mags have never caused me, or anyone I know any problems, ever. People who know the Glock know to use only Glock mfg mags. I find it very difficult to place the Kel-Tec anywhere near the same class as the G19. I find nothing superior to the Glock where Kel-Tec is concerned. Obviously there is a market for cheaper guns and I guess seeing their popularity Kel-Tec fills the bill. I for one would never own one, but that's just my opinion and we're all entitled to one whether right, or wrong.

NAA Guardian
I used to have a Guardian just like that and still have my Sting. Carried it all the time when I first started teaching! Traded my Guardian for my Seecamp and carry it daily.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 03-27-2014, 06:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
I used to have a Guardian just like that and still have my Sting. Carried it all the time when I first started teaching! Traded my Guardian for my Seecamp and carry it daily.
I like the Seecamp a lot as well, especially since you no longer are restricted to the Win. silver tips. My friend has an older Seecamp that he loves, but it's too small for my hand where the slightly larger NAA feels just right when shooting it. I remember how it took like forever to get when he placed the order years ago.

That Sting is an old one, but unlike yourself most don't know what it is. You obviously know nice knives as well.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 03-27-2014 at 06:08 AM.
therukh Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1053 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 441

It perplexes me how anyone could get that worked up over the difference between two pistols that are, for all intents and purposes, identical. The Glock 26 and 27 are sub-optimal for defense due to their small size (for most hands) and increased recoil that comes with decreased mass.

As far as reliability is concerned, the Kel-Tec pistols do work, but not quite as well as a Glock. You can induce any weapon to malfunction if you try hard enough and whether or not it's possible to do so wouldn't be what I'd focus on when selecting a concealed carry weapon.

If you're concerned about the size/shape/weight of a pistol, then choose another pistol. If not, realize that there's very little functional difference between the Glock 26 and 27 and either will likely be better than a Kel-Tec when it matters.

If you pick a weapon that's had millions of dollars in testing behind it that is of sound basic design the likelihood of having a major problem with it (apart from personal prejudices) is somewhat less. The Glock is but one example of such a weapon. There are many others.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 AM   #38

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for giving me the fever for a new Glock. :-). I added a brand spanking new model 27 gen 4 to my collection a couple of hrs ago. I can't wait to take it to the range Saturday afternoon.

I got my model 30 second-hand. Looks like I need to clean this new one before I shoot it.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 178 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 495

Default Clean a Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor52 View Post
Thanks for giving me the fever for a new Glock. :-). I added a brand spanking new model 27 gen 4 to my collection a couple of hrs ago. I can't wait to take it to the range Saturday afternoon.

I got my model 30 second-hand. Looks like I need to clean this new one before I shoot it.
You're going to clean your Glock?! I clean mine...once a year, whether it needs it or not! ;}

Congratulations on your new G27! Shoot the He#* out of it! ...then clean it. lol

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

People Like This 
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor52 View Post

I think you made a good choice am sure you'll be very happy with it. You should check out the A-Grip on the net. It's around $20, which is over priced and worth every penny. It's amazing how the feel of the gun changes for the better. Once you wrap it around your grips you won't want to remove it. Good luck with your new acquisition.