Glock 26 slide doesn't reset all the time. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 26 slide doesn't reset all the time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

My guess is the Recoil Spring Assembly. Try calling Glock, mostly in this case they will send you a brand new replacement RSA

Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 140 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
It is called "failure to lock". It can be caused by ammo (try different brand), operator error (limp wristing or allowing your thumb to rub the slide) or perhaps the gun is not broken in. I never try to diagnose problems until the gun has at least 200 rounds through it.
But would any of that still cause it to happen when not shooting? I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic, I really don't know. I have only put 80 rounds through it, maybe it will work itself out with another trip to the range. Works out fine as my LGS is also my range, so I was going back tomorrow one way or the other.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
My guess is the Recoil Spring Assembly. Try calling Glock, mostly in this case they will send you a brand new replacement RSA
I'm terrible at waiting, even more so when I have something new. I'm hoping for a quicker fix before resorting to calling Glock.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #14

Liked 2290 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
But would any of that still cause it to happen when not shooting? I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic, I really don't know. I have only put 80 rounds through it, maybe it will work itself out with another trip to the range. Works out fine as my LGS is also my range, so I was going back tomorrow one way or the other.
Easing the slide forward would be similar to not having the gun held firmly or dragging the thumb on th eslide, because they all slow down slide velocity and could cause the slide to fail to return to battery.

The reason I had asked earlier about the cleaning, is because Glock puts some grease on the frame rails that ride in the grooves of the slide. This copper colored grease helps in initial break-in and should be left on the rails for the initial shooting. It should still function even if you cleaned it off, but it could also give you some of what you are experiencing, early on until your round count is higher.

Also, the recoil spring could be an issue, but it shouldn't be on a new gun.

I use pretty hot ammo early on when shooting a new pistol to ensure that the action gets enough force to cycle until it is broken in a bit.

Many will argue that a new modern gun shouldn't need to be broken in (I don't think that they should need it either) but I still have a habit of running warmer loads in teh beginning.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

The true test is to make sure the gun is safe and empty first. Without a mag pull the trigger, pull the slide to the rear and ease it forward, if it does'nt go all the way forward and binds up with a quarter inch left to go, bad recoil spring.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Easing the slide forward would be similar to not having the gun held firmly or dragging the thumb on th eslide, because they all slow down slide velocity and could cause the slide to fail to return to battery.
Exactly what my gun guy said this morning. He followed that up with "Stop d***king around with it and go shoot.". Which I did. Three boxes of different ammo, all fed without a hitch and the slide did its job.

I need to stop being so paranoid.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #17

Liked 2290 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Exactly what my gun guy said this morning. He followed that up with "Stop d***king around with it and go shoot.". Which I did. Three boxes of different ammo, all fed without a hitch and the slide did its job.

I need to stop being so paranoid.
Glad your second outing went better.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2848 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Like I said, break it in.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Very much appreciate all the responses. For someone new to shooting, the forums and community here are a lifesaver.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I had the same prob with a glock 30 brand new shooting 20yr old reloads I was freaking out my 1st glock mess up but after 5 more mags of Hott factory ammo it works fine ...