Glock 26 g4 light rattling sound
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 26 g4 light rattling sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Glock 26 g4 light rattling sound

I recently bought a Glock 26 9mm gen 4. I haven't yet chambered or fired it yet. I noticed after only a week that dust started building up under the sides of the ejection port, inside the barrel, and I could see the feed ramp inside and it looked rather tarnished.

So I took the slide off to clean it up a bit. It took me a few tries to figure out how to get the slide off. I was pulling gently forward with the lever pushed down, and it went forward about a quarter inch, but since it cocks the hammer even if you slightly pull back on the slide, I couldn't get it off until I pulled the trigger.

It ended-up taking about 4 or 5 attempts to get this thing off since I didn't know about the hammer blocking it. I had to dry fire it a few times. That kinda worried me.

After cleaning and reassembly, I noticed that the gun has a slight rattle to it when I shake it. I didn't notice that before, but then again I really didn't shake it. Is this something I should worry about? It's very light. Doesn't sound like much, maybe a part with loose tolerance inside.

Also kinda worried about the dry firing. Any input?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

the rattling is the striker,It is perfectly normal. Rack the slide then skake the gun. Notice how it went away? The tarnish you see is assembly lube, Again perfectly normal. I strongly suggest you read the owners maual and get familiar with your G26. Any other questions I would suggest you go to Glock Pistols - Glock Pistol | Glock Talk. many more knowlegable people there

Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Amazingly, I didn't get an owner's manual. That's why I didn't know how to remove the slide. It was new in the box, too. Guess the gun shop owner took the manual? Not sure. Thanks for the info, though.

Also, what about dry firing? I'd assume it's not as bad as dry firing a rimfire, but I don't think it can be good. But it's necessary to get the slide off.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #4

Liked 1037 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohio
Amazingly, I didn't get an owner's manual. That's why I didn't know how to remove the slide. It was new in the box, too. Guess the gun shop owner took the manual? Not sure. Thanks for the info, though.

Also, what about dry firing? I'd assume it's not as bad as dry firing a rimfire, but I don't think it can be good. But it's necessary to get the slide off.
Dry firing is not bad for a glock, not at all. So dont worry about that. To take down your glock for cleaning, bring the slide back a little " like your going to cock it" not much, just about 1/4",then push the take down tabs "down",keep them held down and pull the trigger.the slide will come right off. The only thing that comes apart after this "for field stripping" is the guide rod/spring and the barrel. After you finish cleaning,install the barrel and guide rod back in the slide then the slide back on the frame. Easy peazy

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #5

The little rattle u hear is the firing pin or striker, it's normal. Also that copper colored stuff is high quality lube. It kind looks like a rust color, that is there for every glock when you first purchase to keep it shooting like butter right out of the box. Sounds like ur pistol is fine just make SURE u don't ever put a drop of oil into that tiny hole under the slide near the middle where there is a pin inside, it self lubricates, and when u put oil in there u may have issues. " pull the slide back, push the levers down, hold the levers down and release the slide, squeeze the trigger! Slide will release to field strip "

Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #6

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Yep, dry fire=no worries, great way to practice. Contact Glock, they will send you a manual for free..

Old 11-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #7

Liked 1037 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I was always told that the copper colored grease was just for packing and shipping.so the first thing that ive always done is tear down the gun and get all of that stuff out, then shoot it

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #8

That's what I thought too but the copper colored grease is actually high quality lube.. Forget what it's called but I read by a bunch of enthusiast that it is.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Leave the copper lube there until it wears off. No problem at all with dry firing. The rattle is fine.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1120 Times on 787 Posts
Likes Given: 1141

Yes, call Glock for a free manual like Vincent said. Or download a PDF to get it quick. I believe the manual said to leave the copper lube alone during break in as others already said. Let it wear with the pistol.

With the slide removed you can watch the rear of striker rattle around. Try it with the firing pin block button pressed then not pressed.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.